• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Western Swing (again) Warning: cheesy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanagirl

Reaction score
Hi, I know this was asked back in 2015..  Someone said he didn't know what western swing was, so there are two links of very old western swing with accordion at the end. Musically it's sweet jazz circa 1940.     The links are the kind of music that was on TV when I was a kid growing up in LA and would watch anything.   Accordion was pretty popular in LA.  

Right now I'm looking to learn  I-II-V7 transitions like the Louise Massey group plays at the end of some of the phrases on Adobe Hacienda.  I jam with country players and this stuff would really come in handy.

So if anyone can point me to written out arrangements or youtube stuff I'd really appreciate it.  I will also look through my jazz piano books. There may be something there.  Kinda miss being able to walk chromatically from I to IIm though.

Louise Massey:

Pee Wee King:

Montanagirl said:
Hi, I know this was asked back in 2015..  Someone said he didn't know what western swing was, so there are two links of very old western swing with accordion at the end. Musically it's sweet jazz circa 1940.     The links are the kind of music that was on TV when I was a kid growing up in LA and would watch anything.   Accordion was pretty popular in LA.  

Right now I'm looking to learn  I-II-V7 transitions like the Louise Massey group plays at the end of some of the phrases on Adobe Hacienda.  I jam with country players and this stuff would really come in handy.

So if anyone can point me to written out arrangements or youtube stuff I'd really appreciate it.  I will also look through my jazz piano books. There may be something there.  Kinda miss being able to walk chromatically from I to IIm though.

Louise Massey:

Pee Wee King:

Hello again,

Loads of Western Swing tutorials on guitar on YT, but I I've never even thought about trying it on an accordion. Could you maybe transcribe the guitar lessons so they would work on accordion? 

Only reason I know what Western Swing is I used to play some rockabilly on guitar, and you'll know there is a bit of a crossover there. Some of the chords were a bit tricky as far as I can remember, and I was more into Surf. Still play a Jaguar and a Jazzmaster, but these days they are Squiers. I have a Gretsch semi acoustic for that Rockabilly "tweng" but most of us over here just can't cut the music as it should be played. Loads of fun though! 

Sorry, should have listened to your clips before I posted that link. Obviously a different era altogether. Have you heard of the female Western Swing accordionist known as Ginny Mac? Not sure if her style suits you, but she is quite popular on You Tube.

There are loads of piano vi, ii, v, i.., transition tutors on youtube... Any of them will serve purpose.... 
Western swing seems to like playing the root chord as a 6....so major pentatonic suits better than minor pentatonic 
The changes are the same wether you choose to call it western swing, gypsy jazz, 
As Ellington said "fall off of beats 2 and 4"
Hope that helps... Good luck

Yes thanks losthobos, it wasn't much different from other things going on in that era like jump blues.

I had to post old vids because accordion rather disappears later on though it was still common around So Cal.

I'm happy to dance to PeeWee all night... Great sound... My constant aim is to try swing that steadily...

losthobos said:
I'm happy to dance to PeeWee all night... Great sound... My constant aim is to try swing that steadily...

Am I right that the old swing players used a bit of bellows shake to get some the syncopated effects?

Joey Miskulin, who got his start playing with Frankie Yankovic but is now probably more famous as being "Joey the Cow-Polka King" in Riders of the Sky, put out an instructional video many years ago. It's not 100% Western Swing, but he touches on a few things. It's still available on DVD.

Here in Nashville we're fortunate to have a fabulous Western Swing group, with Jeff Taylor on accordion: https://www.facebook.com/TheTimeJumpers/

JeffJetton said:
Joey Miskulin, who got his start playing with Frankie Yankovic but is now probably more famous as being "Joey the Cow-Polka King" in Riders of the Sky, put out an instructional video many years ago. It's not 100% Western Swing, but he touches on a few things. It's still available on DVD.

Here in Nashville we're fortunate to have a fabulous Western Swing group, with Jeff Taylor on accordion: https://www.facebook.com/TheTimeJumpers/

Miskulin is eggzactly who I was going to ask about next. Def the keeper the flame in Nashville!  I didn't know he had a DVD and will check it out.

I've watched the Time Jumpers quite a bit too.  Guy is a great soloist.

I´ve made a playlist on Youtube if you are interested in Western swing. I try to put all YouTube movies of accordion Western swing (live picture) I can find in one place. Here it is: (movies comes in a row)

Well ... I take the opportunity to do some advertising :) I'm in a band called "The Western Toneflyers" here in Sweden. If anyone is interested, there is a taster here that I cut together when we were nominated in the class Western Swing Group at the Ameripolitan Music Award 2018

Looking good, Galizi, ol' Bob Wills would be proud!

Well ... I take the opportunity to do some advertising :) I'm in a band called "The Western Toneflyers" here in Sweden. If anyone is interested, there is a taster here that I cut together when we were nominated in the class Western Swing Group at the Ameripolitan Music Award 2018
Congratulations, I know that this was posted some months ago but you deserve to be praised for your excellent recording. Western Swing is ideally suited for the accordion and acoustic stringed instruments. I like so many different styles of music and but refuse an opportunity to listen to this styles of music. It seems so nostalgic while sounding contemporary at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back