• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Using Roland FR1XB as a midi sound module.

fogman25

Reaction score
I am still experimenting with using the Roland FR1XB to simulate a steirische or diatonic accordion and wondering if it is possible to redirect midi from the external computer program to play the FR1XB sounds. This would mean midi out data from FR1XB would be sent to the conversion program and midi in would play the FR1XB with the modified midi data. Is this possible ?

I think: yes. But I‘m not sure that I really tested it and I‘m not at home right now.

There is a system setting where you can sort of disconnect the internal sound engine from the internal keyboard. May be this is called „local off“ - at least thats how it is called on other MIDI gear.
And as far as I remember turning the local sounds off is the only way to make the sound engine listen to external MIDI.

And now comes the part where I >>hope<< it is true. When the internal sound engine is locally disconnected it nevertheless will send the MIDI data to the outside (DIN MIDI Out and USB MIDI Out in parallel). This way it should be possible to process the date and route them back.

Be aware of the special FR1x system parameter which determines whether the bellows pressure is transmitted in full resolution or in a reduced resolution or not at all. The reduced resolution is normally the safe way to go because the bellows sends a lot of MIDI data and that may hinder note data to travel through the MIDI connection in time. But because you will use the fast USB port / cable you’ll probably be fine with the full resolution.

Thanks Airy;;
Yes ; I have tried it now and it actually works.
I only send midi in for channel 1 and set E59 (external sequencer parameter) to YES. I can still select all sets and upgs and drums etc on the FR1X itself. This is a very useful option.

I am impressed. My older FR-1b has no USB port, and its MIDI port is either input or output. It cannot do both at the same time.

Back