• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Transcribing music from a mute footage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucio76

Reaction score
I'm trying to write the score of this mute footage from 1949:

Toni's grandson asked on Reddit if there was anyone who could give voice to his grandfather's accordion so I accepted the challenge.

This is what I think he is playing:

Tito.PNG

It sounds like this:

I have a problem with the left side:
Toni often uses his 3rd finger on the bass and I cannot decipher his movements. I added the chords that seem more logical to me but I'm not sure if they are correct.

Is there anyone used to playing with the 3-2 fingering on basses who can see what basses and chords he is really playing?

I've attached also the ".musx" file (Finale) so you can edit it.

Please don't hesitate to report any mistakes I may have made. If you see something wrong, please tell me.

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Toni playing the accordion.zip
    88.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
i cannot decipher more than you already have,

but i applaud your enthusiasm for this QUEST!

I'm trying to write the score of this mute footage from 1949:

Toni's grandson asked on Reddit if there was anyone who could give voice to his grandfather's accordion so I accepted the challenge.

This is what I think he is playing:
Was his grandson very happy to hear the music?

Yes, she is!
I'm not very satisfied by the midi file which sounds awful, I would like to give her an audio track but it's a big work because it's very difficult to play as Toni in the video, with the exact same timing...it would need a lot of editing and many different takes.
Maybe in the future months.

Reactions: Tom
Wow! That's great! Thank you so much!

I see that on the 4th measure you've added a higher note, maybe an A. Did you add it because you think it's in the video or it's a transcription mistake?

Could I ask to create another file at 180 bpm/quarter? It should be more similar to the original speed.

I will send it to Toni's granddaughter, she will love it, again, thank you!

Oops, nope the high note was a transcription error, and I'm not sure how it came out that slow, but fixed now:
(let me know if there's any other booboos)

ToniPlayingTheAccordion.png
Here's the new violin version:

And this is 3 reed musette:

It would help if you could find out what model of accordion he is playing, but I'm guessing from the age that it's either musette or violin voice. But I could easily be wrong.

FYI: This is what I'm using to create the sound https://www.accordionists.info/threads/musescore-with-registers.5727/

Perfect! Thanks!

All I know about the accordion is that the grille says "Biedrzycki's Special model".

I've just posted your violin version on Reddit so that Toni's granddaughter can hear it.

I will take a look at Musescore and its function, I still use Finale but maybe it's time to change.

Thank you so much Glug!

Glad to be of help :)
I did see your original reddit post a couple of weeks back.

In the spirit of completeness, your wallet will like Lilypond too. Your brain may or may not. (Mine does.)

I have invested a bunch of time this summer building toys/tools to get good accordion playback from Lilypond, including having register changes work and being able to auto-realize the sound of the chord buttons. They are not quite ready for prime time (that is, they work, but what's under the hood is ugly) but I hope to have a demo ready to share this month.

Like JeffJetton, I switched from free version of Finale to the free version of MuseScore and I am very happy with it.

FYI: Musescore the software is free and always will be according to them - https://musescore.org/en

It's the Musescore community site that has free and non-free options - https://musescore.com/
It's not free if you want to download some of the scores, but you can always pull up a score and screen shot it.
If you choose to type that into your local copy of musescore that's up to you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back