• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

This accordion was given to me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KeyserSoze

Hello all,
Let me start off by saying, you'd be hard pressed to find anybody that is less educated in the topic of accordions than I. I've never played the accordion before but have always wanted to. I play many other instruments including piano/keyboards.

So, Recently a customer of mine decided she wanted me to have one of her accordions. Other than the name badge (Supreme Artist Model) in the photos, I don't see any other identifying info on the exterior of the instrument. She believes her husband bought this one for her around 1960. I was hoping some of you might have some info, or be able to lead me to some info on this accordion.

It has a few dings and nicks but as far as I can tell, everything seems to function fine. I understand that, if I plan on using it, an instrument of this vintage needs some TLC and will very likely need some professional attention.

I know that there are many factors that go into it but, from a cost/value standpoint, how does one determine whether or not an accordion like this is worth restoring as opposed to buying one that is ready to go?

Any advice on any aspect of this instrument would be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I learn more.

Thanks in advance for any info to come.

Attachments

• 100_1002.JPG
    100_1002.JPG
    795.7 KB · Views: 1,602
  • 100_1000.JPG
    100_1000.JPG
    771.9 KB · Views: 1,599
  • 100_1012.JPG
    100_1012.JPG
    458.3 KB · Views: 1,603
It`s likely from the mid to late 40`s era. The grille board shape ,the 4 grille screws are the give-a-way. With all those treble and bass registers it`s definitely a good step up from a student model. Whether or not it is worth restoring is probably best left to a professional repair person. It needs to be inspected closely.
Regardless, it won`t be cheap but if it is playable, why not just use it as is?

That's what I'd say - there's no harm in just playing it, and if it works for you then it doesn't need a thing.

I can only comment on the pic's you've provided but, without pic's of the interior, I can tell you what I observe ---
You have a Italian made US import from the Mid 1940's to late 50's

This one should be a 4 reed treble & 5 reed bass

The maker was the Italian firm Elio Gabbanelli that imported brand names such as, Noble ,Reno and of course Gabbanelli.

These were well made accordions for the time period and today in fine shape will out perform mediocre Chinese and German accordions made today.

From it's cosmetic appearance it looks low milage as it is still white and not yellowed.

The reeds in these old Gabbanelli's were a combination of machine and hand fitting and tend to hold their tuning for a half century. Your box might only need valve attention,cleaning and some treble & bass lube. :tup:

There is nothing I can usefully add to the comments you have already received, except to say that you have a handsome machine there.

It may not need too much attention but, even if it did require some cash spending on it, I think the benefits of owning a nice instrument such as that outweigh the costs. (within reason)

Anyway, as you say, it may just be a matter of giving it a little TLC.

Thanks for all of your replies and all of the info and advise you offered. Your opinion that I should not to over think it and to just play makes sense and I did just that over the weekend. Other than the new awkward positions required to play the accordion, I was pleasantly surprised with my level of comfort with the instrument. After several hours of trial and error, to the delight of my grandchildren, I was able to play a couple of the standards that I play on the piano.

As far as the tuning of the instrument goes, the treble side seems to be dead on. I'm not to sure about the bass side but so far, considering my limited sample size, nothing jumped out as being off to me.

I've found that there are a few online resources for info on accordion care and maintenance. That being said, any info/opinions you guys might have on that subject would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks again,
Don

Probably a good read and I would have bought it long ago had the postage costs not been almost 5 times the price of the book. I think it needs a better men's of distribution outside of the US.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back