• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The Old Rocking Chair

boxplayer4000

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Being of an age where I tend to think all things were better 50 years ago I was listening to the music of Bert Shorthouse from 1976. On one of his many recording he plays a tune called ‘The Old Rocking Chair’ which I don’t know and have no knowledge of composer, publisher etc. To my ear the structure of the tune and way it is played evokes perfectly, in the mind’s eye, an image of the tunes title.
Has anybody out there any knowledge?

BertShorthouse.jpg

Excellent music and a very fine musette sound too. Wow, I didn't know there were blue accordions in the 1970s!

@boxplayer4000, can I ask, if someone was going to buy a piano accordion for Scottish music (musette tuned) - what would be your recommendations for the best options?

Very nice, you know I love these “simple” tunes. The melody seems very familiar, like it was adopted to a southern US tune ala Carter family, like so many others. But I don’t remember the words.

Excellent music and a very fine musette sound too. Wow, I didn't know there were blue accordions in the 1970s!
Walker: I thought the musette was excellent as well but didn't mention it as I wanted anybody interested to focus on the tune itself.
I think the accordion on the picture might be a Galanti. However it was not uncommon for accordionists to be pictured with an accordion solely for advertising reasons while it was actually another accordion being used on the recording.
That said I'd be willing to go along with the fact that it's actually a Galanti on this recording. The musette is actually shown to better effect on some other tracks on this CD (This 'CD' actually started life as an LP but I digitised it at some stage).
The LP was made in 1976 by DJM Records Ltd., London. Please let me know if you have any further interest.

How and who tunes your accordion is a very personal matter. In my early stages I consulted John Crawford of Freughie in Fife (sadly deceased).
People as far away as the USA trusted John with their accordions. John was very much an old fashioned tuner (as far as I know and observed) as he relied much more on his ear than on a 'mechanical' tuner.

I recently had a Morino 1VM here for checking ( the type oval white couplers). As soon as I put it on I wanted it!!!! A brilliant musette and so responsive in an accordion about sixty years old. A few musette settings had wandered off a bit but having sampled the other settings in the viscinity of the faulty one it's fairly simple to bring it back into line. The hard work setting up the original musette had already been done. Sadly I had to hand it back. The lesson is those accordions are out there; the hard part is finding them.

Tom: I tend to agree the tune has a very North Atlantic, maybe backwoods feel. Sadly the player of the tune is no longer here so that source of knowledge is not available.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom
Many traditional, 'simple' tunes fascinate me. This is what I think is being played on the recording of 'The Old Rocking Chair'.
OldRockingChair.jpg
Thanks!!!! So much music, so little time!

Back