• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

My new OLD accordion.

wbfnz

Reaction score
I'm new here. I joined hoping to find out about a new Paolo Soprani accordion I have acquired. I posted photos and the advice I liked best was that it is probably a 40's model. It had no straps, and rattled when I carried it to my car. When I opened it all the bass reeds from 1 side of a reed block were sitting in the bottom!! I am about to begin accordion repairs so here we go. I managed to identify the reeds and fit them back into the block, then attempted my first waxing, using a recipe found on the site here. Not bad for a first attempt, but happy that I'm not charging for it. I then put it together and fitted straps from my good accordion. Here is a video of the first play. I don't intend to restore it, I will get it playable but mainly for fun. Some bass and treble notes are sticking and some felts need correcting. As you can see from the bellows speed there are a few leaks, but considering it was a free acquisition I'm quite happy!

Glad to see you got this want to sort-of play. The air consumption is the worst I have ever seen so clearly there are still unplugged holes in places, but it makes noise that is beginning to sound like music...

I'm new here. I joined hoping to find out about a new Paolo Soprani accordion I have acquired. I posted photos and the advice I liked best was that it is probably a 40's model. It had no straps, and rattled when I carried it to my car. When I opened it all the bass reeds from 1 side of a reed block were sitting in the bottom!! I am about to begin accordion repairs so here we go. I managed to identify the reeds and fit them back into the block, then attempted my first waxing, using a recipe found on the site here. Not bad for a first attempt, but happy that I'm not charging for it. I then put it together and fitted straps from my good accordion. Here is a video of the first play. I don't intend to restore it, I will get it playable but mainly for fun. Some bass and treble notes are sticking and some felts need correcting. As you can see from the bellows speed there are a few leaks, but considering it was a free acquisition I'm quite happy!
Cool, good job WB! You saved it and got it playable, nice work.

Oh, sorry.

I didn't see this thread when I replied in your other thread.

The early 1930s Hohner I recently acquired seems tight until one starts pressing keys and then it flows a lot of air.

Back