• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

The Feel Good Factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Hawkins

Experienced Gentleman.
Reaction score
I won't bore you with the details of my voluntary work, and I certainly don't want to appear "worthy" but, since I retired, I have been involved in quite a bit of unpaid work in the voluntary sector.

Last year I was asked to advise a voluntary organisation on what could be done to make life better and richer for local pensioners, and subsequently presented my views at a public meeting. My proposals were warmly welcomed, but the presiding authority expected me to organise and run events. As this included administration of charitable donations, I declined the invitation.

It now seems that many of my suggestions have been implemented, and similar events to the ones I outlined are up and running. Last week I was contacted again, and subsequent telephone conversations and personal meetings have persuaded me to revisit the issues of last year's meeting.

I have now agreed to help with a group of dementia suffers and their carers. My part in this will mainly focus on playing my accordion(s), with particular emphasis on the popular music of yesteryear. Playing music which this group will remember from their younger days will, I hope, stir their emotions and enrich their lives a little. The events will also give respite to overburdened carers, together with an opportunity to share experiences and relevant information.

I readily confess that I am not the best player in the World, but I feel confident that my musical efforts will do a bit of good for people who need all the help they can get. My involvement will also allow me to enlist the support of a few of my good friends in the folk music world, who are, on the whole, better musicians than I am.

Other similar groups are interested in this type of project and, at a meeting I had today, I was informed that they may soon be in touch with me.

Guess I had better get practicing.

Good luck with your project. A very worthy one and one I feel will have a positive impact on those suffering from dementia. One "odd" thing about music is that it gets rapidly hard-wired into the brain and I can imagine hearing old numbers will deactivate those brain circuits and give the listeners a strong emotional response. I guess you have to sort out a playlist. My experience where I take part in singing in a choir at rest and retirement homes is not to make it too complicated. Simple always seems to go down the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That sounds wonderful - it seems that music can communicate where other media, including speech, appear to fail. I've noticed how people in old folks homes react and enjoy the music so it's great to hear that music can have positive effects on people with dementia. We used to play music hall songs, including songs sung at the time of the Boer and First World Wars - it's good, sentimental stuff.

I believe there is or was a simialar scheme here in West Sussex, I have a vague memory of a chap singing "Over the rainbow" with a very elderly lady on local TV. Obviously I wasn't paying that much attention. The scheme was considered a great success.

I don't blame you at all for not wanting to be invloved with funds and accounting for them at the end of the year.

Glenn said:
A very worthy one and one I feel will have a positive impact on those suffering from dementia. One odd thing about music is that it gets rapidly hard-wired into the brain and I can imagine hearing old numbers will deactivate those brain circuits and give the listeners a strong emotional response

I agree with Glenn on this. I currently play at memory care units and have been for a while. Now these folks may not remember what song you played 2 minutes after you played it, but they will remember a song from 40/50 years ago. There is no better feeling when you can touch peoples memory. Let me tell you a quick story.......

When I play at these units I usually ask the residents sitting close to me what their name is and then in between songs I will refer to them by name. But one woman had a blank look on her face and when I asked her name there was no response so I continued on. After playing several songs, most of the residents would clap but not this woman. She never showed any emotion. And then I played take me out to the ball game, OMG, this woman started singing and she knew all the words. It felt so good that I was able to touch something inside this woman. That whole experience made me feel so good.

Stephen Hawkins said:
I readily confess that I am not the best player in the World

Stephen, youre not the best player in the world? So What! Neither am I. Most of my life I always felt that every accordion player out there was better than me. But I enjoy playing and people enjoy hearing me play. So dont sell yourself short. These residents will enjoy your music. I typically play music from the 1940s,50s for them and if I can get them up dancing or singing, its for me the best feeling in the world.

Stephen Hawkins said:
I have now agreed to help with a group of dementia suffers and their carers. My part in this will mainly focus on playing my accordion(s), with particular emphasis on the popular music of yesteryear. Playing music which this group will remember from their younger days will, I hope, stir their emotions and enrich their lives a little. The events will also give respite to overburdened carers, together with an opportunity to share experiences and relevant information...
What a coincidence: my wife does exactly the same. Every other week she plays the accordion in an alzheimers ward of a psychiatric institute. It is very rewarding. The patients come and go at a rather fast rate so the audience varies quite a bit. Sometimes people are indifferent, other times they are very emotional, remembering music from when they were young. My wife also brings some playful percussion instruments so people can join in if they want.

It doesnt matter how well you play. You are bringing joy to people and thats all that matters!

I don't know anything about it, but have the casual impression that it's well documented therapy, in the sense that there's potential to restore some function, even in cases that seem to be beyond reach.

speaking as manager of dementure services in a previous ( pre retirement) life I completely agree with all of the above and would encourage anyone with a box and a bit of spare time to emulate Stephen. It is not just known 'old tunes' that have an effect but also good solid rhythmic playing will encourage hand clapping, foot tapping or even a but of shuffling around sort of dancing.

As to tunes ( in UK) I found that WW1/2 tunes go down particulary well eg Tipperery, pack up your troubles, lilly marlene, bless em all,We'll meet again,etcc etc.
Well known Scottish march work well to provide a strong rhythm eg Scotland the Brave, 100 pipers, cock of the north,
'Music Hall' songs/tunes eg Old bull and bush, daisy daisy, my bonny lies over the ocean, oh dear what an the matter be may even encourage some singing particularly if either the box player or an 'assistant' can lead the singing. ( I need an 'assistant' as not only am I a totally crap singer but I find it impossible to play the box and even attempt to sing or speak at the same time!)

Some day centres and homes have an entertainment budget specifically for such activity so a modest fee an sometimes be had

geeorge

Bobby,

Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. It is good to know that you are doing the same thing in the States, and I look forward to reading more of your experiences.

Jerry,

You are a very kind and understanding man, Jerry.

Hi Everyone,

I am so pleased to learn that a great many of you use your talents to bring pleasure to those less fortunate than yourselves, and long may you continue to do so.

These relatively small acts of kindness help to make the World a better place, especially when those you help are old, confused and vulnerable. Dementia is a cruel affliction, made worse by the scum who often prey on sufferers to gain pecuniary advantages.

I have studied all your comments very carefully, and will certainly use those suggestions which appear appropriate to the group I am helping to support. Any further advice would be much appreciated.

It has been remarked upon that funds may be available to pay a modest fee. This advice is kindly meant, I'm sure, but goes against every principle that I hold dear. I am fully retired, and do nothing for money. I cannot and will not put a price on an altruistic act, as this would sully my highest principles.

I spent a long time and a great deal of effort in assisting British Veterans returning from Afghanistan & Iraq. These men would not talk to civilians about their difficulties, but they would open up to a fellow combat veteran. Not only would I never take a penny for my ministrations, but I was often out of pocket due to using my own car to travel around the region. Money doesn't interest me ......... people do.

Anyway, if I were to take money for playing my accordion, that would make my 72 Bass Chanson a professional instrument. (referring to a previous thread)

The music I will be playing for the dementia group are tunes made popular by: Edith Piaf, Doris Day, Frank Ifield, The Bachelors, The Hollies, Elvis Pressley, Wings, Peter & Gordon, etc. In addition to this, I will be playing folk music of British origin.

Bravo, Stephen - I share your sentiment about not wanting to be remunerated for something which could bring some light into people's lives. I don't think anyone does such a thing in this area so it could be something for me to look into. It's interesting how music has a way of touching people's souls - why isn't it used more widely ?

Stephen, playing for an Alzheimer patient (my father), is what brought me back to the accordion in April of last year after a near 4 decade hiatus from music. I think it is admirable and inspirational that you are doing this. I one day see myself doing the same thing in my community. :)

Corsaire,

I cannot really answer your question, except to say that I do know a few local folk musicians who play in old folks homes and sheltered accommodation. The music, I feel, is a vehicle for showing that someone cares for those less fortunate.

Though I am myself Agnostic, the events I have been asked to support are held in Church Halls and Community Centres. This does not pose a problem for me, as I have already informed the Ministers of my considered position. They are quite happy to get help from any source, even one who often quotes Thomas Henry Huxley.

The primary concern is for dementia sufferers, though my own view is that their carers are at least equally important. Everyday practical considerations must be made doubly difficult for them, as they also have huge emotional pressure to deal with. I have had some experience of dementia within my own family, so have a little insight into the sheer mind-boggling frustration felt by carers.

My professional career has made me a consummate public speaker, so the accordion will be just a part of my arsenal. Too many people seem to view the elderly and infirm just as they are now, without thinking that they may once have been highly intelligent, beautiful, vibrant, sporty or daring, causing them to talk to older people in a patronising manner. I will not allow this to happen in my presence or hearing.

I feel sure that similar needs exist in your locality, Corsaire, and truly hope that you are able to identify and satisfy those needs. Perhaps there are local charitable organisations which undertake this kind of project.

Thank you for your kind words of support, and rest assured that I will do all I can to make my community a better place for senior citizens. (I am one myself, incidentally)

Stephen.

Jerry,

If I am any judge of character (which I am) I'm sure that you could make a very real difference to the lives of people who are scared and confused.

As you may have read elsewhere, I have been deeply involved in charity work over a long period of time. It is often difficult and demanding work, but the reward is knowing that you have made a significant difference to the lives of those who need help most. Sometimes just a hand on someone's shoulder is enough to reassure a frightened person. You can do that, Jerry .......... Can't you?

Take It Easy, Old Scout.

Stephen.

anyone in UK wishing to offer their services as a musician or otherwise offer help may find it useful to contact the Alzheimers Society via their website for local information and contacts.

george

Hello George,

That is very useful advice, thank you.

Most of what I do comes under the joint umbrella of my local authority & AGE UK. Local Churches and Community Centres provide suitable venues for all manner of activities. Local Libraries provide facilities for Family History groups under the "Bright Days" scheme. Different venues in the region provide access to "Silver Choirs" which, as the name suggests, are populated by groups of silver-haired people who try to sing.

I cannot tell you the precise number, but I do know of at least three Churches within two miles of my home which provide facilities for dementia sufferers. When I attended a meeting at one of these Churches the other day, it was the turn of a group of young adults with learning difficulties.

Cheers George,

Stephen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back