• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

How to make a 25 lb accordion feel light

Simon Max

Reaction score
A farmer came to the wise sage complaining that his shack was too small. The sage told him to bring his sheep into the shack.
What??? It'll be even more crowded.
After suffering for a week, he returned to the sage and said that things didn't get any better. The sage then told him to take the sheep out of the shack, and of course he felt that he had all the room he needed.

I was invited to an outdoor procession in honor of finishing a new Torah scroll ( a hand written parchment of the Old Testament). Last time I did it, my shoulders felt like they were coming off.

I started wearing some weights on my shoulders when using the walking / climbing machine in the gym. Today I did 20 minutes with over 30 pounds on my shoulders. I'll let you know if it helped.

Last edited:
With properly adjusted straps, perhaps including a back strap, a player shouldn’t feel the weight, or so the saying goes.

I’m guessing that you worked up to those thirty pounds gradually, at least I hope so. Too often, guys will switch from a lighter to a heavier accordion and assume they can immediately put in three hour practice sessions with the heavier box. Then they hurt.

Good to know. So in order to comfortably play my 35 pound bayan while strolling I should practice strolling with my 40 pound Hohner Artiste X S... I doubt whether I will have any functional shoulders after any of this...

I was invited to an outdoor procession in honor of finishing a new Torah scroll ( a hand written parchment of the Old Testament). Last time I did it, my shoulders felt like they were coming off.
How about, this time, you organise an ordinary wheel chair and someone beefy enough to push it about with you ( wearing your accordion) sitting in it?🤔
Then, you just sit in it, with your accordion strapped on ( but resting on your lap), and focus on your playing, while being wheeled about accordion and all!
Problem solved: no need for stamina building exercises!🙂

I think there are special (comparatively expensive) straps that were made with a view towards playing when standing or walking. Also depending on play style, you might take out the bass reed blocks and put them back in afterwards.

How about, this time, you organise an ordinary wheel chair and someone beefy enough to push it about with you ( wearing your accordion) sitting in it?🤔
Then, you just sit in it, with your accordion strapped on ( but resting on your lap), and focus on your playing, while being wheeled about accordion and all!
Problem solved: no need for stamina building exercises!🙂
That is actually brilliant, and with some careful explaining and maybe asking someone to lift the accordion to show them the effort you are exerting could make that happen easily enough.. lol

I'm not saying that not being in shape to properly pickup and handle a heavy accordion is ok, but hey, there are times that being smart, doesn't hurt!

Jerry Sleger rigged up a sort of stand and strap system that hangs over his shoulder, supporting the accordion while played, taking the weight off. Hard to see, but evident in this photo:

IMG_1912.jpeg
“Sound consists of 3 amps and parts of 9 keyboards, no sequencers or midi band.”

Soon, technology will evolve such that bottom mounted accordion drones will become available.

They will propel the accordion upwards and and make it either partially or completely float (adjustable in the companion app) so that the burden of the weight will be relieved to one's liking / physical capacity.

Should I patent the idea?

It's the balance IMHO. I have a 33 pound behemoth Exscelior Continental, and as a puny 80 year old. I can play it without stress. My theory is that it isn't made for standing. Only I forgot how to spell it, so maybe I forgot whatever difficulty. Been there done that. Can't remember haha.

Soon, technology will evolve such that bottom mounted accordion drones will become available.

They will propel the accordion upwards and and make it either partially or completely float (adjustable in the companion app) so that the burden of the weight will be relieved to one's liking / physical capacity.

Should I patent the idea?

The mythical 'sky hook' might come in useful.

Back