• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Streamline Waltz by Charles Nunzio

It’s funny how I get more positive reactions to some posts and not so many to the more cerebral pieces of music. 😌
It's because what you are feeling is different than what others feel. You've put in the work, the time and effort. We just get to enjoy the final result. :D

It's because what you are feeling is different than what others feel. You've put in the work, the time and effort. We just get to enjoy the final result. :D
Thanks, @JerryPH . I find it a bit ironic that the pieces that are more difficult get less attention than the ones that I just “knock out”, so to speak.

I wanted to play it ever since I heard it on Luigi Apparetti’s Frosini album (look it up).

I'm familiar with that album--it's wonderful. Appareti learned from the man himself, so he has a what I suppose we could call a "Frosini Number" (inspired by Erdős Number) that's even lower than yours, Zevy! :)

Appareti's son has put the whole album up on YouTube, and it's required listening, IMHO:

I'm familiar with that album--it's wonderful. Appareti learned from the man himself, so he has a what I suppose we could call a "Frosini Number" (inspired by Erdős Number) that's even lower than yours, Zevy! :)

Appareti's son has put the whole album up on YouTube, and it's required listening, IMHO:

I absolutely love that album. I even own an original 10” 33 RPM album. It’s got so much energy!

Thanks, @JerryPH . I find it a bit ironic that the pieces that are more difficult get less attention than the ones that I just “knock out”, so to speak.

Honestly, I think it is in "less cerebral" pieces where the accordion's characteristic timbre and acoustic qualities are most appealing and most apt to delight . . . whether or not ambitious players like that fact.

Honestly, I think it is in "less cerebral" pieces where the accordion's characteristic timbre and acoustic qualities are most appealing and most apt to delight . . . whether or not ambitious players like that fact.
I have to agree with you. That is unless you are an accordionist who appreciates the more challenging music. But you are right.

I probably looked into everything and anything I could regarding that music. That’s because when I study a piece of music I delve into it as much as I can. However, the version that I played is Frosini‘s arrangement. I wanted to play it ever since I heard it on Luigi Apparetti’s Frosini album (look it up). I study from time to time with Eddie Monteiro and he was able to help me with some of the difficult passages.
“Streamline Waltz” is a piece of cake compared to other things that I have posted. It’s funny how I get more positive reactions to some posts and not so many to the more cerebral pieces of music. 😌
Either way, I’m glad you liked it and I only want to make people happy - it doesn’t matter what music they prefer.
I found a *less celebral" version of Espana in A in Frank Zucco's Accordion Music from around the world" and I think this also demonstrates your latest post in this thread which delights me as I prefer to learn a simple piece and "complicate" it rather than attempt to play a complicated piece which is beyond my limitations. I myself use 3-2 fingering, which I am told is restrictive, but I try to add embellishments around it.

I have to agree with you. That is unless you are an accordionist who appreciates the more challenging music. But you are right.

Petosa AM-1100 LMMH, Sonola SS-4 "Ernie Felice" LM, Borsini “Lars Ek Nostalgic” LMMM, "Nunziola" LMMH

I found a *less celebral" version of Espana in A in Frank Zucco's Accordion Music from around the world" and I think this also demonstrates your latest post in this thread which delights me as I prefer to learn a simple piece and "complicate" it rather than attempt to play a complicated piece which is beyond my limitations. I myself use 3-2 fingering, which I am told is restrictive, but I try to add embellishments around it.
I also use 2-3 fingering (ok - let’s not start a sore topic here again) 99% of the time. I was a 4-3 guy until I began studying with Charles Nunzio. I do not find 2-3 restrictive at all.

Late to the party, Zevy, but this is again excellent playing by you! Love hearing you play!

I also use 2-3 fingering (ok - let’s not start a sore topic here again) 99% of the time. I was a 4-3 guy until I began studying with Charles Nunzio. I do not find 2-3 restrictive at all.
That's very encouraging Zevy. Thanks for sharing that. I hope that maybe one day I'll play like you!

At risk of taking things off-topic, I agree that 3-2 isn't necessarily restrictive. Or perhaps more accurately, it's as restrictive as 4-3, but in different ways.

And I say that as 4-3 guy myself. I've come to view the choice of LH fingering on the accordion like the choice of tennis grip in tennis. For those unfamiliar, there is not one single "correct" way to hold a tennis racquet. The different methods have names like "Continental grip", "Western grip", "Semi-Western", etc. The most common one for a forehand shot has changed through time as the sport and trends both change, but there have been excellent players using them all. And in practice, a player will use a different grip depending on the shot required.

Same with LH fingerings. (In fact I feel like we could likewise call 3-2 "Western fingering" and 4-3 "Continental fingering" :D ) You'll find excellent 3-2 players and excellent 4-3 players. And, in practice, you may be called to switch things up in order to best execute what a piece calls for.

Wonderful music Zevy!

The great Charles Nunzio one of many top American composers, teachers, performers back in the day... I recall reading once that one of his students was the accordionist Donald Hulme. Did you know him, Zevy?

Such was the talents of the young master Hulme, that he went on to study composition at Juilliard and became World Champion in 1961. Giovanni Gola even made him a special accordion - a custom Gola model with 49 piano keys and 200 free bass buttons arranged in Quint. Incredible stuff!

Last edited:
Wonderful music Zevy!

The great Charles Nunzio one of many top American composers, teachers, performers back in the day... I recall reading once that one of his students was the accordionist Donald Hulme. Did you know him, Zevy?​
Thank you so much. Donald Hulme was his student in the late 50’s. Eddie Monteiro crossed paths with him at Mr. Nunzio’s school. I studied with Mr. Nunzio when he was much older. I did get to meet Donald back in 2004 at an AAA event where they honored Mr. Nunzio. They flew Donald Hulme up from Florida for the occasion. I am still trying to get a copy of the Ed Sullivan Show where Donald played Mr. Nunzio’s arrangement of the William Tell Overture.

Last edited:
And, in practice, you may be called to switch things up in order to best execute what a piece calls for.

If I may be permitted to further chase this digression, I worked up the following simple bass-pattern exercise fairly early on, to help me keep my fingers (and fingerings) flexible, and this sub-discussion reminded me of it. You may find the specific fingerings not to be as to your liking as they are to mine, and the "staccatos" are there explicitly for hiding an awkward jump between two notes, both played with the third finger (the transition from bar 4 to 5). It can be avoided, but an equally bad jump would then be produced elsewhere. But anyway, while you can see it's clearly a "4-3 mindset", it regularly has me jumping to 3-2, and even (sort-of) 2-3.

bass-exercise.png
(I am later finding that I can play the "staccato" sections just fine, legato. The jump still breaks it, but I've learned to hide it fairly well. 😊)

I would play the same pattern using 3-2 as the main fingering 😉.

I started 3-2 and never had issues. That said if a 4-3 was needed before a big jump or something it would be used without thought easily enough.

Back