• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Sound of music and an Indian connection

breezybellows

Reaction score
I always perform these two songs together. I start off with Poottukkal Pottalum - the Tamil song that a lot of the audience at the airport is not familiar with. Even though they don't know the song, its usually received well. Occasionally, people stop and ask me "Whats the name of that song. It sounds familiar". Some just squint their eyes trying to identify the song.

When I eventually transition off to "My Favorite Things" their faces read "I knew it!".

I have no way to know whether Ilayaraja had "My Favorite Things" in his mind when he made Poottukkal Pottalum. If I were to guess, I'd say its very likely. I myself am an amateur composer who tries to create songs like the ones that impact me the most. This is a very challenging process. I have a tune in your head and its easy to make the new tune sound too much like the one that inspired you. On the other hand if you break away from the tune too much, you fail to create a song like the one that you wanted.

This is where I feel Ilayaraja did a great job. The two melodies are very very different. Poottukkal Pottalum doesn't sound like a knock off. I actually like it better than My Favorite Things. Its a completely different progression with very different phrasing. But still, the soul of the song ties it strongly with My Favorite Things. You listen to either of these songs and you are reminded of childhood innocence and a playful babysitter who the kids can trust. This is about someone who helps you get creative and enables you to become the best version of yourself.

Back