• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

[solved] Stuck reed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mjh

Started learning a new tune from the tutor book and it has a bass note I hadn't played before, F#, and I find out that on push at least one of the reeds is pretty silent except for a strange metallic sound that you're able to hear if you push slowly. Any experts able to figure out from the sound sample if it's worth it to open it myself to see if it's just stuck, or should it be taken to a pro instead?

First I pull and push normally, then pull, and push slowly:

E: Deleted the sample

it could be s bit of dust jamming one of the smaller reeds as when sqeezing gently the large reeds may not all be sounding so the fault in the small reed would be more apparent. So before any dismantling etc press approplriate bass button and sqeeze (push and pull) as hard as possible i.e. much harder thaan in normal playing as this may dislodge any particle of dut jamming the reed.

Its along shot but is always worth a try before doing anything else. ( same applies to treble reeds)

george

That did it, thank you George, you saved me from a lot of frustration! I've been avoiding playing loud as the little pamphlet that came with the accordion says not to until after 4 weeks of playing. This is indeed good to know. I'll delete the sample, it's not pertinent for the solution. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back