• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Small and powefull

Karl StetS

Reaction score
Hi all.
This is proberly a clasic thread, but i need to ask a few question, and hopefully somebody has some thoughts or ideas.

I explain. Im a one man band. I had a small light and quite good sounding Settimo soprani, that was stolen 2 month ago. I have had a hustle to get a New instrument for doing my gigs. I ended up on a hohner concerto iii, wich i like quite a lot.
Still its a bit heavier, and im not totally convinced.

Im looking, on the Internet, on the pigini kirkil.
Seems very small and light, and i gues it has good reeds (wich i asume helps the volume).

Does anybody played this instrument enough to give a litlle rewiev?

I know its bottoms, but im ok with that, even though im still stronger with the piano.

Or any other recomendaciones?

Thank you so much
Karl

If you're looking for a small, light 72 bass piano accordion, then I know a few companies have made 26 key, 72 bass instruments, which seem to be the smallest size you can get before you start losing buttons. The instrument that springs to mind is the Czech-made Delicia Junior 72, which is obviously not going to be as high quality as an Italian box, but looks like a good, solid instrument. It also has 3 sets of reeds and 5 registers in the treble, which is unusual for an instrument of this size.
Alternatively there are a multitude of Italian-built 26/72 accordions, and some 30/72 accordions as well. I don't know which models are currently in production, apart from the Brandoni Piccolo, which is 30/72. Most of the other instruments I've seen are second hand (although that does make them cheaper!)
Incidentally, I did find this thread, which might be useful:

Last edited:
Can you clarify whether you are searching for a piano accordion or a chromatic button accordion? You mention the Hohner Concerto III, which is a model name that could be a piano accordion or a CBA. You also mention the Pigini Kirkil--the only Kirkil I see is a Chromatic Button Accordion, a converter type with 78 standard basses and 37 single-note bassetti . The specc'd weight listed for the Kirkil is 6.8 kg.

Are you searching for a chromatic button accordion for freebass study? A starter conservatory instrument? If you are concerned about weight, lighter than the Kirkil might be the Scandalli C111. It is small converter instrument similar to the Kirkil but the right-hand side has one single voice, where the Kirkil has two voices on the right side. The Scandalli C111 is lighter than the Kirkil, with a specc'd weight of 5.5 kg. I've linked demo samples below. It actually looks and sounds like a lot of fun. 72 standard bass buttons, 36 single freebass notes.

Last edited:
If you do not care about freebass and are not looking for a starter freebass instrument or a converter instrument, there are small CBAs with two voices on the right side and standard basses with no freebass, that would be louder than the single-voice Scandalli I discussed above. The Pigini Preludio C30 is 6kg, that is lighter than the Kirkil's 6.8 kg. 72 standard basses, 56 treble notes.

Also a two-voice 60-bass is the Maugein Dauphin, at 5.8 kg. These are expensive instruments.

A more cheaply made but very playable small two-voice CBA is the Hohner Nova ii 60A. They are made in China, and the parts and components are not the sturdiest. But the reeds and the mechanism are responsive and easy to play. The official weight is light, at 5.8 kg.

Saltarelle bourouche is small but rich and and powerful

Well, the OP mentioned weight as a concern, and wrote they thought the Kirkil, which is 6.8 kg, might be heavy. The incredible, wonderful Bourroche is bigger and heavier than the converter Kirkil, and it is significantly heavier than the standard-bass MM instruments I cited above. It is also very expensive, although you could hardly blame anyone with the dosh to bring it into their accordion menage.

Hi all.
Thank you so much for the answers.
First, i like both piano and buttoms. Im more free on the piano, but thinking about to do the change this winter.

Second. Your thoughts and ideas have helped me to value, and soon ill be ready to take decisión.

Good Luck and good music to all of you.

Hi all.
This is proberly a clasic thread, but i need to ask a few question, and hopefully somebody has some thoughts or ideas.

I explain. Im a one man band. I had a small light and quite good sounding Settimo soprani, that was stolen 2 month ago. I have had a hustle to get a New instrument for doing my gigs. I ended up on a hohner concerto iii, wich i like quite a lot.
Still its a bit heavier, and im not totally convinced.

Im looking, on the Internet, on the pigini kirkil.
Seems very small and light, and i gues it has good reeds (wich i asume helps the volume).

Does anybody played this instrument enough to give a litlle rewiev?

I know its bottoms, but im ok with that, even though im still stronger with the piano.

Or any other recomendaciones?

Thank you so much
Ka

I don't know where you are located, but it seems logical that you would want a particular piano accordion that fits your particular need for a smaller but still full-voiced instrument. Also, one that is in good-to-excellent condition and fair priced. To me, that means checking into (if you're in the U.S.) the extensive inventory of formerly-owned but reconditioned and warranted instruments. I've always dealt with Petosa (www.petosa.com), but the also-reputable Liberty Bellows (www.libertybellows.com) seems also a good place to look.

Hi Tommaso.
Im in spain. Here the accordion culture is not enormous, but it exist.

Im into both piano and button, so im looking in both dirección

Karl.

Back