• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks

Roland FR-8X Battery Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas N

Reaction score
Well, it's been five years and my original FR-8X battery is finally tired. It's only lasting a couple hours - and that's when using headphones and not running the internal speakers.

I've looked at some options - although information is sparse online.

I know Jerry built his own - and I read his blog and it looked very interesting. I think going with the Roland is probably my best option.

I did notice one made by an Israeli gentleman called the DR600. It can provide 12 hours of play time and will last 1000 charging cycles versus the 300 on the Roland OEM battery.

Has anybody used this battery? I'm not even sure they still sell them but he has a link on Accordion Gallery. It goes for $280 US. I'm not sure what the Roland one goes for but will inquire.

I received really good longevity from the original battery and feel that five years on it was much better than expected.

Thank you for any advice!

Yes there is a aftermarket battery for the Roland FR-5, FR-7, FR-7x & FR-8x . So far I have not heard of the results of these Li-ion battery
packs. I'm afraid I will not recommend nor install one in my Roland. You see the aftermarket packs use Chinese made Li-ion batteries
that have a history of overheating, melting & even exploding in many applications. I have made Roland battery packs in the past
using the same Japan made Sony NiMH batteries as the original. I no longer make the battery packs as the price of the components have
gone up and it's no longer profitable. There are many Roland dealers that will offer a battery for $200 to $225 plus shipping.

Please read these threads, Thomas:

You can buy 20 cells of this battery and put the battery pack together yourself, using the temperature sensor in the Roland battery pack or buy this.

If you don't want to do it yourself, you can contact https://www.batteryspace.com. They build custom battery pack for a very reasonable price.

I think this one probably works with some modifications (adding the thermostat and the connector).

Last edited:
Yes there is a aftermarket battery for the Roland FR-5, FR-7, FR-7x & FR-8x . So far I have not heard of the results of these Li-ion battery
packs. I'm afraid I will not recommend nor install one in my Roland. You see the aftermarket packs use Chinese made Li-ion batteries
that have a history of overheating, melting & even exploding in many applications. I have made Roland battery packs in the past
using the same Japan made Sony NiMH batteries as the original. I no longer make the battery packs as the price of the components have
gone up and it's no longer profitable. There are many Roland dealers that will offer a battery for $200 to $225 plus shipping.

Jim - Thank you for this reply. I've read your posts for years now and trust your advice. I'm also a little leery of different battery chemistries - proven or not. I sure don't want any issues and have a lengthy and expensive repair procedure or another $5K purchase of an FR-8X. The OEM Roland battery sure treated me well over the past five years and there really isn't much incentive to make the switch.

Please read these threads, Thomas:

You can buy 20 cells of this battery and put the battery pack together yourself, using the temperature sensor in the Roland battery pack or buy this.

If you don't want to do it yourself, you can contact https://www.batteryspace.com. They build custom battery pack for a very reasonable price.

I think this one probably works with some modifications (adding the thermostat and the connector).

Thank you sir. I'll read through these now. A cursory search of this forum on "Roland FR-8X battery" did not turn up these posts you referenced.

I did both... bought a factory original, which is extremely overpriced but adequate, and for less than half, I made a better version and it works just fine at near double the duration in between charges. The incomplete story is on my website (I've not updated it in several months now).

One guy who reached out to me told me that he had bought the Dubi Rains battery and was not very happy. It did not last all that long (less than 6 months before he returned it and got another one that lasted again, only 6 months before becoming a nice door stop), before making his own as well.

>> Notice the factory battery has a heat sensor on it.

It's here:

IMGP5045.jpg

I am the one Jerryph mentioned, and I have built several batteries. I have rebuilt the original NiMh battery pack, and also some Li-ion packs. Because I do not own an original foot pedal for my Roland Fr7, I do not charge my battery inside the accordion. I purchased two dedicated battery chargers that are designed to charge NiMH and Li-ion multi cell 24 volt packs. Since the battery chemistry is different, you can't charge these packs the same way. I also purchased a battery terminal spot welder to properly connect cells without potentially damaging the cells by the heat of soldering. I am thrilled with the results and I will be happy to share what I learned about battery pack construction with anyone interested. I did use thermistors, but in the case of the Li-ion pack, the most important component was a battery management system circuit board to protect from over discharging.

As for the FR-7 battery - read here --

See attachments.

>> hard to find the battery connector assembly

You mean the connector for the FR-7/7x/8x battery pack?

This one: Molex 4-pin connector

I don't use the crimping tool (don't have one), I just solder the wire to the pin.

I bought a Roland Fr7X accordion in 2010.
Now the battery is exhausted.

Can you tell me where I can buy a good / best and reliable battery cheaply.

I have followed the debate on the original / Dubi Rainis.

Risto

"I did notice one made by an Israeli gentleman called the DR600. It can provide 12 hours of play time and will last 1000 charging cycles versus the 300 on the Roland OEM battery."
This thread reminds me of the time the battery on my electric screwdriver gave out and I had it rebuilt by a battery professional, who convinced me to increase its capacity.
When I went to use it, a cloud of blue smoke accompanied by the smell of burning insulation rose from the armature .
I ended up putting the lot in the bin, something I should have done in the first place, and saved myself some money!?

Does the fr7x have a similar battery as in 2010.
Has it been developed for the better?

Does the fr7x have a similar battery as in 2010.
Has it been developed for the better?
Yes. FR-5/FR-7/FR-7x/FR-8x use the same battery pack.

No. I don't think there was any change in terms of battery from the original FR-7/FR-5 to the current FR-8x.

If you know how to solder, this is an option that cost less than $200 (at least for the folks in the US):

Custom NiMH Battery Pack: 24V 4500mAh (108Wh, 20x4/3AF, Sanyo)
Component: 10K @ 25C Thermistor
Molex Connector

Note that the battery pack above uses the same Sanyo cells as the ones in Roland's battery pack.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back