• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Roland FR-1x Accordion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emme

Reaction score
New member here and am thinking of purchasing a Roland FR 1x . We are looking for a light weight unit, suitable for elderly person but have been wondering if any other members here have one and perhaps could help me with a couple of questions please. Are they hard to set up and do you need a lot of computer knowledge to do that? From the videos I have watched they seem to have a good sound but was wondering if the sound they are getting are already pre programmed in or it is something you have to do personally? There appears to be little bellow movement which is appealing for this elderly person. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Hard to ... = No
Computer knowledge = No
Pre-programmed = Yes
Bellows movement = can be set very light or even fixed.
Caution: the PA version has just 26keys which might be a bit tight?

Hello Emme,

I have an FR-1xb (button version) and I love it (only a bit less than I do my FR-7b). It's light, compact, and versatile. It has a range of about 3 octaves, more than sufficient for me. I bought it mainly to practice in silent.

As dunlustin indicated, the range of the FR-1x (PA version) is only 2 octaves. In my opinion, the limited is significant, even though you can program one of the register switch to transpose all the keys up or down an octave, but it's still clumsy.

Please check your PM. I sent you something that may answer many of your questions.

Just a thought:
A Weltmeister 60 bass is about 3lb lighter than the Roland.
A Black Diamond 48 Bass is still a bit lighter, has good reviews and is less than half the price. (Admittedly UK)
If silent practice is not part of the 'deal' there are other options.
Also, I believe the FR1X is not currently in production. Support for discontinued electronics is not always brilliant.
Final comment on the FR1X:
Although only 26 notes the 'Transpose' function shifts the key a semitone at a time. So, if the tune sits inside 2 octaves you can choose the key to fit and the fingering stays the same - quite a trick!

Thank you all for your valued comments. It seems we have some more thinking to do. I did like the idea of the silent practice.

Also, I believe the FR1X is not currently in production. Support for discontinued electronics is not always brilliant.
The FR1x is still on the Roland web sites around the world, as are the FR-8x and FR-4x models. Others have been discontinued.

Yes, I was told the other models have been discontinued. The factory is supposedly shut at the moment because of Covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back