• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Rock guitarists?

You don't need a "leader," who tells the others what to do, but you need an "organizer," (which could be one or more members), who sets up gigs, schedules the practices, etc. I've been in several bands without a distinct leader. It's really up to the participants, though. We've all been in bands where someone "thinks" they are the best leader, when really they are not. Avoid! Avoid!

Anyway good luck to you with your band. Hope it works out real well!!!!

if you just intend to jam in your garage it doesn't matter

the general assumption is: bands are put together with the
intended purpose of eventually presenting/performing
for the public

so yes, someone needs to be in-charge, someone needs to call the songs,
someone needs to say when to break, someone needs to take requests and
say whether or not we try to play it now (or later)

and even if you (like the original poster) merely have a song agenda you
want to bring to life with the help of other musicians, YES you need to be in charge
about it or how in the heck will anyone know what it is you want to do ?

and to tie this back in with "Rock guitarists"

if you look at most of the major Ax men/women, you will notice they all
have a go-to song/riff they hit whenever there is a lull onstage and
no-one can decide what to play next.. you can hear Page's signature riff in literally
every band he was ever in when he needed to take charge

someone has to make decisions.. you cannot just hang around up on stage
until a vague general consensus is reached

Check out Theolonius Monk as a piano player....he'd often play wrong notes with great conviction...but with totally immaculate timing... people call him a genius....
Timing is more important than the right notes played in the wrong time...

I am starting a new band with two other guys. Do we need a band leader?
Do small bands need a band leader?

I don't feel like doing a lot of organizing and planning and be the leader. My organizing skills are not that good, I think. Neither are the others that great at it.
Why can't all the be leaders?

We just want to play music. Do people who just want to play some music hace a vand leader?
Hello Harry,

Perhaps you could provide some more information about your playing with the rock guitarist. Are you playing in public or are you just playing for your own pleasure? Do you have a specific goal like developing a repertoire of songs to play at dances? All of these are important factors on how you decide how to proceed. Is your friend willing to learn your songs and are you willing to learn his music? A musical relationship is much like a romantic one where you have to factor in your partner.

I think part of the issue is that the accompaniment style is actually difficult to nail perfectly, especially for someone who hasn't spent much time listening and playing the style. It has a lot to do with rhythm, timing, feel, note length, etc. The guitarist in a duo is taking on the role of the bassist and drummer, which puts a lot of pressure to keep the duo tight and danceable. There is no wiggle room for timing issues or not swinging. I am having a hard time finding a guitarist for my duo project. For now, I'm just learning more tunes and trying to improve while playing solo.

Last edited:
Hello Harry,

Perhaps you could provide some more information about your playing with the rock guitarist. Are you playing in public or are you just playing for your own pleasure? Do you have a specific goal like developing a repertoire of songs to play at dances? All of these are important factors on how you decide how to proceed. Is your friend willing to learn your songs and are you willing to learn his music? A musical relationship is much like a romantic one where you have to factor in your partner.
I am not playing with that guitarist right now.

I am starting a band with two guitarists. One of them plays the ukulele. We are planing to play for fun although we have a plan of playing for an audience at some time in the future.

I seem to be the person in the band who are most used to playing the kind of music we are playing. I am also not sure that the ukulele player has played much with other people or even much by himself.
The other person seem to find guitar playing a bit difficult as he is not that good at it.

My thinking is that in such a group I cannot expect too much of them.
I wonder of it can be harder to play with less experiences musicians.
What do you think one should do when playing with less experienced musicians?

for inexperienced bandmembers:

before you ask them to play a song with you, for each song,
play them a nice recording of that same song
(any instrument combination)

ask them if they can "hear" things in the song that they
think they can emulate
(this is like asking for opinions, it improves their feeling of value)
then play the recording again

if possible, give them a simple sheet of the music or at least
the chord sequence hand-written down on paper for them to follow
(this shows them you are putting effort into helping them)

even play along with the recording if it is more or less in tune
with your instruments

halfway through the practice session, give them Pizza and Beer

after the Pizza, then try playing those songs again

The rumor is... the more beer, the better it sounds, but it was never defined if the band gets better or the standards of the beer drinkers fell... lol

for inexperienced bandmembers:

before you ask them to play a song with you, for each song,
play them a nice recording of that same song
(any instrument combination)

ask them if they can "hear" things in the song that they
think they can emulate
(this is like asking for opinions, it improves their feeling of value)
then play the recording again

if possible, give them a simple sheet of the music or at least
the chord sequence hand-written down on paper for them to follow
(this shows them you are putting effort into helping them)

even play along with the recording if it is more or less in tune
with your instruments

halfway through the practice session, give them Pizza and Beer

after the Pizza, then try playing those songs again
No pizza. It should be falafell!

Anyway, I have found that playing with experienced musicians can be hard sometimes. Sometimes they just start to play a song and you are supposed to know what version they are playing.
It must be worst for the jazz accordionists. There are so ma y different version of jazz standards out there.

"This is from a Swedish tv series but it reminds me very much of Monte Python.
Is British humor actually that British?"

Harry,
In order to get the feel of some of the best of British humour, you should watch some films such as "The Pure Hell of St Trinian's"
See here:
And "The Ladykillers"
See here:
And "Kind Hearts and Coronets "
See here:

Last edited:
This is one of my favourites:
But I don't really care about this kind of humour:
He doesn't move funny or talk funny. It is not even funny at all.
People laugh so perhaps they think he is so boring that he is funny. I can't stand such humour. It is more about being so boring that you are funny because of that.

But let's go back to the accordion:

Last edited:
Back