• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

How to Rock with a Digital Accordion.

breezybellows

Reaction score

Playing Rock music with digital accordion is not only about the guitar and drum sounds. In this video I show you the techniques I use to make the digital accordion sound closer to a real rock band. We'll be looking at a new left hand rhythm that helps to get rid of the polka style sound to get a classic rock drum style. We'll also look at tips to use the bellows effectively to add expression to the guitars. This is a tutorial for digital accordion. I'm playing a Bugari Evo digital accordion that uses user programs purchased from Richard Noel. The Bugari Evo used electronics from the Roland FR-8x digital accordion.

The video you made helped me a lot in getting many ideas that I can apply to my Fr-8X. I must admit, I don't like or play the rock that you had in the video, but your descriptions of what you did gave me many ideas of what I can add to a lot of the none "polka, (Om-Pa, Om-pa) tunes" I play.

I grew up in East Cleveland Ohio (in the late 40's, early 50's) where "polka" was king (now home of the polka hall fame and Frankie Yankovic). Both my grandparents were from Slovenia and all they wanted was polkas. I got tired of just polkas and quit accordion lessons after two years. 65 years later I picked up the accordion again (3 years ago). It is the best thing I ever did.. I play for senior communities, county homes and my wife comes with me with our therapy dog, Sparkie.

John M.

The concept is fairly basic but important. It's been around for a few years now and repeated by many.

You don't play everything in the same manner, a sax doesn't hold the same traits as a guitar and a harp, even though also a string instrument, if you are really serious about getting the best sonic effects, it is played differently and you change technique based on the instrument used.

Maybe because I've been playing electronic/digital accordions for so long, I now do it more instinctively, but when I switch to different instrument sounds, I know the way that I play changes a lot in terms of how I touch or strike the keys.

The concept is fairly basic but important. It's been around for a few years now and repeated by many.

You don't play everything in the same manner, a sax doesn't hold the same traits as a guitar and a harp, even though also a string instrument, if you are really serious about getting the best sonic effects, it is played differently and you change technique based on the instrument used.

Maybe because I've been playing electronic/digital accordions for so long, I now do it more instinctively, but when I switch to different instrument sounds, I know the way that I play changes a lot in terms of how I touch or strike the keys.
I've also noticed that the parameters play a big role. Two different distorted guitar sounds need to be played differently. I love the expressions I can get out of the saxophone setting.

when I started performing with my band, our music was of the 60s and 70s which was top 40 learning at the time. We keep stereotyping the accordion as a polka, jazz, Latin,…etc. instrument. It was developed to sound like a one man band idea…so keep on rocking…even a good polka beat could rock out🤘dare to be different…🤓

Back