• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

replacing worn bellows tape

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Elmer's Multi-purpose white glue can be used for many types of repair around the home where moisture is not present. It repairs wood with a bond that is stronger than the wood itself and has an easy clean up. I use it in accordion repair for sealing joints, replacing leathers and pads, and bellows tape repair. When doing a tape repair you might stretch the bellows open and dampen the old tape with a damp rag - this helps in removing the old tape. Also I dampen the new tape with a damp rag before applying the new adhesive. A clean damp rag should be available during application to clean up excess glue residue. The reason for the bellows tape overlapping the bellows corners is (1) cosmetic and (2) it aids in keeping the bellows corner in place. Bellows tape wear is in most cases from a performer that plays the accordion with it resting on their legs (bottom wear) or playing the instrument without a backpad (wear on rear of bellows).

JIM D. said:
Bellows tape wear is in most cases from a performer that plays the accordion with it resting on their legs (bottom wear) or playing the instrument without a backpad .

i keep the wooden part of the accordion on my left leg and not the bellows (the bottom end is in good condition ) but there has never been a back pad attached - if so i think would not be damaged as :!: this side has the damage

You might view this video for instruction -- the audio is also entertaining -- -- A method very similar to what I do but NOT WITH THIS TYPE OF GLUE as if you do the replacement tape will be unable to remove at a future date. If a White glue such as Elmers is used ,dampening it in the future will make it removable. And also when replacing tape on the backside (rear) of bellows - any good quality tape will work just fine as it cant be seen under a proper size backpad.

JIM D. said:
NOT WITH THIS TYPE OF GLUE as if you do the replacement tape will be unable to remove at a future date.

:shock: hope previous diyer didnt use this for mine then :)

If you find your self in a situation where the old bellows tape cannot be removed you will have to recover the old tape with a wider replacement. Not only will the old worn tape be covered over, but you will have to recover the complete bellows - top - front - back - bottom - to keep the bellows size uniform. And in this case you will also have to re-position the bellows straps or purchase a longer set. Having to repair worn bellows tape as some of you are aware can be labor intensive and costly. If these repairs are ignored for a period of time, the only fix will require bellows replacement. As I stated in a previous post, the most common bellows tape wear is from having the bellows in contact with the leg while playing and or the failure of using a proper fitting backpad.

JIM D. said:
in a situation where the old bellows tape cannot be removed you will have to recover the old tape with a wider replacement.

i presume you would have to try and remove one piece of tape to ascertain if it cant be removed and then proceed taking remedial action if required on the piece removed / part removed

Almost all factory installed bellows tape will be removable with a small amount of effort. The exceptions to this sometimes can be factory tape that has been on for 50 years or more or a previous repair done with a non - water soluble glue. When the old tape seems stubborn to remove - try to dampen the old tape - wait a short time - and then try to remove it. If you find that the tape cannot be removed without ripping the bellows cloth covering, it will have to be left on. If done right, over covering the old tape with a wider tape with look just fine. The positive here is that you now have a choice of colors and textures to pick from and your new covering will be more durable than the original, and the negative is that all the bellows tape will have to be re-covered to keep the bellows uniform and will require longer bellows straps.

:tdown: No!!! Steam will only ruin the bellows ! :tdown:

Be patient when removing Stubborn old tape - dampen it and wait 5 min. and give the removal a try.

It is slow work. I use a small paint brush and a cup with 50/50 rubbing alcohol and water. Carefully "paint" the tape with the water using the brush, and avoid drips onto the bellows proper. Wait a few min and do again. Try lifting the tape from one end after waiting a couple of min, if it is stubborn ,paint it again and wait a bit. This almost always works. We reapply the new tape with hide glue. If the tape does not want to lay down warm it quickly with a hair dryer, this will soften the tape for a moment and allow the tape to lay flat.

Kimric Smythe

Written before I noticed the previous topic. I don’t think I contradict anything so will post it anyway.
I have just renewed the bellows tape on my PA being guided by manufacturers’ and repairers’ films on Youtube. The films made it look easy but they didn’t film a few tricky parts so I will try to fill in some gaps here.
It’s a <SIZE size="150">big job so before starting, order the length and colour of tape required plus a tub of the correct adhesive. A standard 50 metre length of tape will easily cover two full sized accordions. Make a simple jig to spread the bellows open and another to cut the tape to length.
Remove completely the old tapes and glue by easing open one end and slowly peeling the entire length. If the correct adhesive had previously been used then it will be a straightforward job. Remove the residue of the old glue using a nylon scourer. Any hard glue may need to be sanded smooth.
At this stage, fit the assembly back into the accordion and check the ‘bare’ bellows for leaks.
Cut the tape lengths using the jig. Cloth (bucram) tape is flexible and therefore slightly elastic, making it difficult to cut until it is taut. Enlist some help if need be and, remember the golden rule ‘MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE’.
Applying the glue is messy – have hand washing facilities nearby.
I fitted six lengths per session x 3 = one side per day.
My procedure: - Apply the glue by finger to one strip. Wash glue from fingers. Align one tape end. Fold over the complete length. Check the pattern is pointing in the correct direction. Stroke with the damp cloth to fix to the bellows. Check alignment. Wash out the cloth. Next please.
I can now say ‘been there, done that’ and am happy with the result but it took me almost ten hours in total. A younger or more competent person will easily improve on this time but please do not underestimate the size of the job.
Garth

Attachments

• S73F1290.JPG
    S73F1290.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 1,162
  • S73F1291.JPG
    S73F1291.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,163
  • S73F1294.JPG
    S73F1294.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 1,162
Great post, Garth ... horrible job. Additional tip - if matching existing tape and the pieces next the wood is ok, don't bother replacing it - the effort of trying to tuck new in and keep it straight and stuck down just is not worth the extra hours and it's hardly noticeable left 'as is' - just clean it as best you can.

artelagro said:
It’s a <SIZE size=150>big job so before starting, order the length and colour of tape required plus a tub of the correct adhesive. ......... ........ .......... time but please do not underestimate the size of the job.
Garth

i have heard it can be done without removing the bellows - to save time , convenience , less intrusive

how do you think you would have got on with this technique :?:

i still have this job on the to do list :|

smdc66 - I would say that the bellows should be removed first to avoid damage to the accordion. I found it to be a messy job which needed constant hand cleaning - this really means that the work needs to be done near the sink - not the best place for your accordion. Bear in mind that I am a geriatric apprentice so I would ask for the advice of others.
Soulsaver - I haven't published my experiments with the end tapes yet (work in progress). I picked a lighter gold colour than previous so they really must be done.
Garth
Update: Soulsaver, I have been listening to you. The end tapes, for the meantime, will remain their darker colour. I will have an attempt at this job on the next 'beater' that I buy, then decide the way forward. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back