• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Replacing treble key pads on Strasser 3row diatonic

Vilus

Reaction score
Does anyone know what needs to be done to replace the treble keyboard pads on my 1985 Strasser accordion. Each pad covers 3 ports and is in a triangular shape attached to an arm connected to the key. A pad just came off so, I need to replace them all. Besides that there is a lot of clicking when the palette returns. Also where can I purchase some felt suede padding

I did talk to Mr. Strasser in Austria. His advice? Keep it as it is.. I felt that if I can remove the whole keyboard It would be easy to change them.

Attachments

• DSCN1435.JPG
    DSCN1435.JPG
    382.2 KB · Views: 4
then good luck !

so they were not very helpful.. did they at least offer
to sell you a set of pads ?

then good luck !

so they were not very helpful.. did they at least offer
to sell you a set of pads ?
I decided what to do.... remove all the existing pads. They are a combination of thin felt and a thin piece of goat skin. Brush the skin with a tooth brush. Get some new thin green felt , glue it to the existing felt on each pad and then glue the pad to the key plate. be like new... I've sent my three blocks out to get tuned and whatever else has to be done..... not bad $300. The key pads will be all tight The bass section is in good shape so the accordion will be "like new ". A 35 year old beautiful accordion. I had a Beltuna 4 row I sold 6 months ago because I didn't care for the sound.

Like a violin, the older the wood the more mellow the sound.

Are you saying that somebody is tuning your reed blocks without the accordion? I am not sure how to feel about a tuner who will take on such a job without the box. The pitch will change once the blocks are put into the accordion.

Vilus
How did it pan out?🤔
I'll let you know the results..... Most of the reeds didn't need much .. a few had the leather valves that fell off on the inside and a couple of high end treble reeds were out of tune they all need cleaning . I really don't think I will have a problem....I'm not that critical.
I decided on the fixing the clicking on the keys..... 1. remove the existing pads 2. brush the skin with a tooth brush, then add a felt pad 1-2mm to the back of existing pad, glue them back in. I tried several ways to reduce the clicking sound. This seems to work the best.
The older accordions have the metal plate soldered to the key rod then the pad added. I wanted to remove the complete key section but no one could tell me how .......so, I'll replace the pads with the key section attached.

If not too late, I have had good repair success with Accordionology, who are located in Georgia, and Bob Snopes, who used to be at the Button Box, but since they closed, now has his own repair shop at The Squeezebox Garage, is a master at repair of button accordions, concertinas etc.

If not too late, I have had good repair success with Accordionology, who are located in Georgia, and Bob Snopes, who used to be at the Button Box, but since they closed, now has his own repair shop at The Squeezebox Garage, is a master at repair of button accordions, concertinas etc.
Thanks, you won't believe this , but I sent my blocks to Stephanie at Accordionology for tuning.. she is finished and sending them back tomorrow.

Thanks, you won't believe this , but I sent my blocks to Stephanie at Accordionology for tuning.. she is finished and sending them back tomorrow.
It is a small world. She did a really nice job on my concertina, so my guess is you will be satisfied with the results.

Back