• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Replacing bass button caps on a Roland FR1b

cestjeffici

Reaction score
I replaced one cap but it took too much effort. I really had to struggle getting the original cap off and putting the new on required a lot of pressure. This tells me I'm missing something. It should be easy. I could use some help with this, this being changing bass button caps on Roland FR accordions.

FWIW:
I've had a FR1XB and have a FR4XB and don't dare to try to change the tops.
On a French forum years ago, there were tales of struggles getting the tops lined up once swapped, pressure problems as you've had.
Don't relish the idea of getting in amongst the buttons with snipe-nosed pliers.
Someone here says he managed it no problem - turns out only the outer row.
When I ordered the 4X I asked for F and C buttons to be marked for FreeBass.
Turned out to be a 'boxshifter' who did nothing and the 'Sunday morning ass't' knew nothing of the arrangement.
Maybe the owner didn't fancy doing it either?
Anyway, good luck - I'd be interested in any useful replies.

When I replaced my caps, I used a small and fairly sharp flat head screwdriver, and was careful about moving it around. It did take some time and effort, but using one's nails made it much harder, Just be patient and take your time.

To replace them back, I used needle-nose pliars with the ends wrapped with green tape so it would not scratch but still give me enough grip to hold the button firmly by the sides and could press the top in without too much effort.

Going in is a lot easier than coming out. :)

I replaced the E & Ab caps so that they were different to all the other buttons, including C, now I’m sure of where my LH is providing it’s between E & Ab on the fundamental bass. 😁

When I replaced my caps, I used a small and fairly sharp flat head screwdriver, and was careful about moving it around. It did take some time and effort, but using one's nails made it much harder, Just be patient and take your time.

To replace them back, I used needle-nose pliars with the ends wrapped with green tape so it would not scratch but still give me enough grip to hold the button firmly by the sides and could press the top in without too much effort.

Going in is a lot easier than coming out. :)
Thanks Jerry! The user manual makes it seem like no big deal.

Recently changed a couple of caps. The right tool is the key . I used a thin piece or metal (from a feeler gauge). Pulled with one hand on each side and the edge of the metal just under the cap and voilà.
Also fitting the new caps required to push them with a set of pliers with the button already pressed down so the caps are really down and on level with the rest of buttons.

from cell phone repair tip's

guitar picks come in many thin gauges, they are generally
non-marring as they are softer than most materials,
but the edge has some force and strength

very good for slipping under/into a tight seam

Back