• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Removing strong smoke smell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

debra

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I "inherited" an old but nice accordion from my sister (Crucianelli Super Video, 4 reed LMMM, 41/120). Technically it appears to be in good shape (some wear and tear, missing one of the feet, one broken bellow strap, etc...) and needs mostly a bit of tuning...
except that after many years of sitting in my sister's living room in heavy smoke it has a very strong smell that I do not know how to remove.
Some other stuff we had could be soaked and washed and sat in a box with baking soda for weeks but still smells.
So I fear this accordion is going to be hopeless, but maybe some of the most experienced people here know tricks to rid an accordion from a strong smell (of smoke).
Any helpful tips would be most appreciated.
(PS: I wrote "inherited" because she is still alive but no longer able to play.)

I think it is not uncommon to mask the smell with a slight bit of perfume inside of the bellows. But that's more of a salesman trick than a real remedy.

The problem is that it will not just be the outside of the accordion the smells the inside will have sooked in smoke if it was being played in a smoked filled room.

I would thoroughly clean the accordion both inside and out, lightly Spray some fabric freshener on the bellows inside and out, then leave it all to air for a number of weeks.
I would also dispose of the carry case.

the boxman post_id=53778 time=1513984833 user_id=116 said:
I would thoroughly clean the accordion both inside and out, lightly Spray some fabric freshener on the bellows inside and out, then leave it all to air for a number of weeks.
I would also dispose of the carry case.
Just leaving it all to air for a number of weeks is surprisingly effective. Assuming a 3-digit number. Just storing the instrument (at reasonable temperature and humidity) and looking again after a few years will make quite a difference.

Airing it out is good, but adding several good strong spraying sessions of Fabreeze over a couple weeks should help remove most of that smoke stink out of it. Fabreeze absorbs smells and leaves a more fragrant one in it's place but with woods, the smoke can get reaaly deep in it. Lots of sun, good ventilation and Fabreeze should do the trick.

Paul,
The smell will disappear with time, just let it air.
It won’t be noticeable at a gig!
Any stains on the external parts can be reduced by gentle rubbing with toothpaste on a damp rag ( just be careful not to clog up any grooves/holes/ openings with surplus <EMOJI seq="1f642">?</EMOJI>
Given a year or two, you won’t notice it at all! (I’ve had my ex-smoker probably 35 years, and it’s fine)

make lots of coffee and position the accordion near the pot

but maybe you don't like coffee smell either :D

No helpful suggestions from me, but you have my sympathy. I had custody of a lovely old Pancotti Jedson from a heavy-smoking household for a while; it made me heave every time I played it, as the bellows action distributed the stale cigarette smell. Airing it made no difference, and I was relieved when the owner asked for it back! I hope one of the remedies suggested above will work for you :)

Anyanka post_id=53805 time=1514049974 user_id=74 said:
No helpful suggestions from me, but you have my sympathy....

Thanks. The accordion has mostly sentimental value. Yes it is in working order and can be restored but it has rather limited commercial value even without the smell. I could inherit much more valuable stuff like a Yamaha Avant Grand (top of the line digital piano) worth maybe 10.000 euro (yes, really) but it too is unusable due to the strong smell. Everything in the house is unusable due to the smell. It is very sad.

For paint smell ive used a mix of charcoal powder and baking soda and covered the whole under a sheet

debra post_id=53810 time=1514059304 user_id=605 said:
Thanks. The accordion has mostly sentimental value. Yes it is in working order and can be restored but it has rather limited commercial value even without the smell. I could inherit much more valuable stuff like a Yamaha Avant Grand (top of the line digital piano) worth maybe 10.000 euro (yes, really) but it too is unusable due to the strong smell. Everything in the house is unusable due to the smell. It is very sad.
Most stuff will be salvageable by storing it somewhere dry in a non-smoking environment for a few years. Or sell to smokers. Youll probably need to burn down that house, though. Or rent to smokers.

Geronimo post_id=53813 time=1514069938 user_id=2623 said:
Most stuff will be salvageable by storing it somewhere dry in a non-smoking environment for a few years. Or sell to smokers. Youll probably need to burn down that house, though. Or rent to smokers.

Thanks for these encouraging words... Storing in a well-vented dry non-smoking environment for a few years may be problematic. But after reducing the smell somewhat it may eventually become good enough for another heavy smoker to use... Thats a crowd thats getting smaller and smaller though.

debra post_id=53823 time=1514105387 user_id=605 said:
Geronimo post_id=53813 time=1514069938 user_id=2623 said:
Thanks for these encouraging words...
It was sort of tongue-in-cheek. But youll definitely need to get rid of all layers of wallpapers (or the tar will bleed through new layers/paint) and all floor carpets (not sure about loose carpets: maybe they can be washed) and likely most upholstery.
Storing in a well-vented dry non-smoking environment for a few years may be problematic. But after reducing the smell somewhat it may eventually become good enough for another heavy smoker to use... Thats a crowd thats getting smaller and smaller though.
And even then, the younger ones among those nowadays lean towards avoiding property damage and going outside for a smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back