• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Removing bellow tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the original tape was applied properly, the glue used will allow you to peel it off. A quality accordion when made has bellows tape that is
applied with a glue that will allow you to peel off the tape with little or no residue. If your old tape was applied with a permanent glue, you
will need to apply new tape over the 19mm old tape with a new tape of 24mm.

I paint water onto the old tape to soften the glue, then it just peels off (mostly).
ie. I wet the old tape with a bowl of water and a very small paint brush.

Thanks Jim. I thing second options sounds better
When applying tape over tape the bellows get thicker and the bellow straps will no longer close.
It is best to peel off the old tape. Normally about 80% peels of like Jim said. The other 20% will be a pain in the...
After you got most of it off, apply 24m tape, and the bellow straps should still close properly.
By using 24mm tape any damage to where the "end" of the old narrower tape was will be covered and thus invisible.
When gluing on new tape, put strips of plastic (old transparency film) in the folds so that any glue that oozes out sticks to the plastic and not to the adjacent bellow fold.

A hair dryer or hot air gun (used VERY carefully) could be used to soften the glue underneath making it more pliable and easier to remove, I would think?

Moving straps seems fairly easy
When applying tape over tape the bellows get thicker and the bellow straps will no longer close.
It is best to peel off the old tape. Normally about 80% peels of like Jim said. The other 20% will be a pain in the...
After you got most of it off, apply 24m tape, and the bellow straps should still close properly.
By using 24mm tape any damage to where the "end" of the old narrower tape was will be covered and thus invisible.
When gluing on new tape, put strips of plastic (old transparency film) in the folds so that any glue that oozes out sticks to the plastic and not to the adjacent bellow fold.
Moving the strap seems relatively simple by drilling two holes on the other hand

Moving straps seems fairly easy

Moving the strap seems relatively simple by drilling two holes on the other hand
That would work if the strap became too long, but not when the strap becomes too short (as in the case when the bellows become thicker). The screws are often already very close to the edge. Getting new straps fortunately isn't difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back