• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Removing treble keys on a Serenelli accordion

zdvon

Reaction score
Kia ora!

I just bought a second-hand Serenelli accordion, and I love it!

It's in pretty good condition but the action on the treble keys is a little lacking. I want to remove the keys and clean them (remove dust and oil? graphite? the metal) but there's no obvious way to remove the spindle. Does anybody have expertise with this? The impression I get is that if the springs on the keys are removed there might be some way to pull the keys out, but they haven't budged when I've attempted it and I'm wary of applying too much pressure to something I don't understand!

Huge thanks for any advice or help!

Attachments

• 20221111_115918.jpg
    20221111_115918.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20221111_115940.jpg
    20221111_115940.jpg
    283 KB · Views: 31
  • 20221111_120125.jpg
    20221111_120125.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 30
Indeed, you unhook the spring of a key and then it can be removed. It varies between accordions how exactly, but as the spring not only pulls the lever down (past the axle) but also pulls it back this suggests the key is removed by pushing or pulling it towards the edge of the accordion. Pushing from behind is safest (as you don't really want to be pulling the outer edge of the keytop. You should be able to "feel around" which way the key actually hooks onto the axle, and this which way it needs to move to "unhook" it.
You have to remove white keys first as the black (blue) keys cannot move towards the edge of the accordion, being blocked by the white keys.
Before you do any of this around the center of the keyboard the register mechanism has to come out.

zdvon: You describe your accordion as a Serenelli. Serenelli is a name which I believe is now associated with Chinese manufacture. From your photos the accordion doesn't look Chinese. Serenellini is coming to my mind.
You describe the key action as 'little lacking'. Do you mean the keys are sticking, noisy? Removing the keys is a fairly big job without knowing the type of fault you hope to address.

these old serenelli's are shrouded in some mystery

i have only seen this type in the USA and felt they were
imported by a Jobber who sourced their accordions from
Settimo Soprani, who provided re-branded accordions to
many many private label accordion schools and such

then the settimo factory burnt to the ground

then Scandalli offered his factory midnight shift to Settimo
so they could stay in business (prior to their eventual merging)
and the Settimo workforce continued to service their clients in
that manner for a time

which is why i think these few models were built like Settimo's, with a normal
stradella bass mechanism, but had the new Scandalli treble action which
uses an aluminum plate keybed, an aluminum rail, and spring style
attachments to keep them in place.. also they came with a hook tool
often screwed on (like a a spare button on a shirt) under the grille

it is sleek curved aluminum a few inches long with an uneven sharp V
cut into the end (for hooking the spring and maneuvering it safely)

this action was a less expensive, less refined, but very cost effective
and repeatable and easily worked on invention exclusive to Scandalli

there is little you can do to improve this mechanism except cleaning and
dry lubing the wear/pivot point of aluminum

you can also quiet the mechanism a bit with a full removal, as that
allows you access to the keybed for judicious felting for noise control

you will note the Scandalli rubbery red rings that hold the valve pallets to
the action arms, another small innovation as it allowed a slight
self-aligment to the pads.. again not as expensive to make as the
small pivot type, but very cost effective in mass production

the reeds in these are quite nice sounding, and the overall weight is less
that a typical (more wood) accordion of the era

of course the shadows of history obscure absolute definitive historical context,
but i have rebuilt a similar Settimo ladies sized with normal pivot rod action,
built just prior to the factory being destroyed,
and literally the only differences are the signature Scandalli exclusive mechanicals

Last edited:
There does seem to have been an Italian brand Serenelli in the past as I've seen a few chromatic models for sale on this side of the pond. They look fairly old but i suppose not vintage in appearance.
 john

There does seem to have been an Italian brand Serenelli in the past as I've seen a few chromatic models for sale on this side of the pond. They look fairly old but i suppose not vintage in appearance.
 john
Indeed, and what I learned is that Serenelli produced accordions for Giulietti before Zero Sette started doing this.

i know nothing about the italian version/builder,
only the american Serenelli branded importer who
was an older company with a solid share of the market
when Guilietti was just beginning their existence, and who reputedly
was helpful to them during their "barely making ends meet" days

A million thanks for all the advice everybody! And Ventura that info is fascinating - I tried unsuccessfully to find info out about the model initially

In the ad it was described as a FRONTALINI. Boxplayer4000 I've attached an image of the front and the stamp - beyond that I can't see any markings. The action just seems a little stiff (although I'm moving from playing a Hohner student accordion which I've kept for years as I love having an instrument that I can carry everywhere with me easily). Other than the stiffness, there's just one key has a plastic on wood type sound - I'm assuming it just needs re-felting.

I've yet to go further than super simple tuning, but I live in Tasmania, Aus, so I'm going to have to give it a shot eventually as I'm not sure there's any experienced people down this way!

Attachments

• 20221112_082441.jpg
    20221112_082441.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20221112_082501.jpg
    20221112_082501.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 17
a lovely accordion and looks to be in fine condition
as the bellows corners are still fully holding, which
usually suggests to me that it has not dried out terribly

often when you look closely, some corners will have popped
slightly higher as the underlying cardboard and glue have
dried so much as to shrink and loose mass, hence the corners
begin to lift slightly

i also have a nice blue accordion, 3/4 size, LMM as this one is..
very handy size and weight and has been useful for me
in the Winter (January and February here) months when
i take it along for strolling in Nursing homes and strolling
lunchrooms.. for some reason this one only plays Cowboy and Country music
which is great for lifting spirits during the cold, dismal winter period

i suppose Atwaters was the importer/accordion school.. wonder
if anyone has a clue to that ? so many names lost in the mists of time

enjoy !

zdvon: What a handsome accordion. It certainly looks like one that would worth restoring (I assume it hasn't been restored already).
It's a full size 41/120 (I wonder what weight it is). The couplers are interesting in that on the three lowest couplers (those nearest the player's chin) the markings seem normal. ie. a Bandoneon voice ( L and M), a clarinet voice (M), a Master Voice (L, M and H) but on the 4th Coupler a middle M reed appears. It is more normal for all reeds to appear on the 'Master' coupler.
From what you describe of the keyboards stiffness it does not sound like drastic measures are required. You've already identified a possible pallet felt fault which is very simple repair. You'll make it an even easier repair if you can get felt/leather which is nearly the same as that already fitted.
The 'stiffness' you feel may get better if the instrument is played a bit but if restoration is required then it's likely the reeds are out of tune and slow to start which will make the playing feel sluggish and slow (your word is 'stiff').
The couplers suggest that there are 4 voices (LMMH) at the treble end and that it is double-octave tuned (if I'm interpreting the coupler markings correctly). If you haven't done it already it would be interesting to know the reed set up when you pull the bellows pins out.

in the very first photo, you can clearly see 3 lifters that re-position
3 naturals into the "sharps and flats" reedblock

hence, why i feel it is a 3/4 size box

photo 2 shows the size of the pallets clearly.. they look like
3 hole size to me, and while shift-markers took some decades to
become universal, because it is a 4 shift i believe they are merely
showing that (all) reeds are "on" when master is selected, and that
the fourth shifter is accurate indicating musette

hence, why i felt it is an LMM configuration

of course i could be wrong from a distance, but those are the clues i followed

Ventura ,
"...often when you look closely, some corners will have popped! slightly higher as the underlying cardboard and glue have dried so much as to shrink and loose mass, hence the corners begin to lift slightly."

What you said made me carefully re-examine the bellows corners of my aged Busilaccio (70+)
I'm glad to say, all is well: no issues!🙂

it really is remarkable how a well kept, well built accordion
made from the right materials can hold up and last so many decades

your Busi demonstrates the very meaning of value

Back