• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Register switching?

Beemer

Reaction score
While at a local accordion club I noticed a player selecting a treble register and without playing a note he then selected an adjacent register and played. Later he repeated this but with different adjacent registers. Would there be a mechanical issue that required him to do this? I think the PA was a Hohner Marino IV.

So they used another register before swapping to the one they actually wanted to use? Am I understanding correctly?

If so then there may be a fault with his register assembly that is stopping one of the sliders from fully opening/closing when using a particular register switch, so he could be using another register to 'reset' the sliders. My accordion had this problem when I first got it but it seemed to go away with a bit of use

So they used another register before swapping to the one they actually wanted to use? Am I understanding correctly?

If so then there may be a fault with his register assembly that is stopping one of the sliders from fully opening/closing when using a particular register switch, so he could be using another register to 'reset' the sliders. My accordion had this problem when I first got it but it seemed to go away with a bit of use
Yes that is what he did. I guess then that he is content to do that rather than pay a technician to fix it. I know how he feels as my car has been displaying errors for a couple of months. Today I bit the bullet and but it is being fixed plus a service at £2,500!

Yes that is what he did. I guess then that he is content to do that rather than pay a technician to fix it. I know how he feels as my car has been displaying errors for a couple of months. Today I bit the bullet and but it is being fixed plus a service at £2,500!
Maybe there are no technicians he trusts! Although I've heard there's someone in Scotland who's very good with Morinos - I'll post back when I remember who, maybe you could pass the name along

Is it a beemer?

It could very well be a faulty register. The older Hohner Morino accordions have register switches where the underside is all metal. These are essentially indestructible. The later ones are different. (Hohner changed the design halfway through the production of the Morino N series without telling anyone.)
The picture here shows on the left what the register switch looks like when it is still working and on the right what it looks like when it's broken. The plastic bit that is broken off used to hold the metal pin firmly in place and needs to be filled in with for instance celluloid in order to fix the switch. When the switch is broken you can press it but the metal pin (with yellow plastic around it) doesn't have the secure fit in the black plastic to really push the rotating lever in the mechanism that then pushes the register sliders. This is a common fault that occurs when someone or something tried to accidentally push several register switches at once.
(Some accordion players for instance put their folded-up music stand inside their accordion case so that during transport it often hits multiple switches at once... until they break.)
The fix isn't hard, but it's a bit time consuming because the register mechanism needs to be partly disassembled, then each broken switch repaired, and then you have to wait for 24 hours for the added plastic to fully harden, and after that you can put the register assembly back together. So it's maybe one hour of work, but spread over 45 minutes one day and 15 minutes the next day.

P8292974.jpg

He‘s brilliant, though I can’t vouch for his Morino skills personally. He did a fab job retuning my 41 year old Paolo Soprani made piano accordion a bit over a year ago. Its first ever retune. Lovely chap to deal with. Luckily for me very very local to me too :)
Off topic: Did your computer work involve hardware or software? I sold custom power supplies for mainframes, e.g. IBM, Amdahl, ICL

Off topic: Did your computer work involve hardware or software? I sold custom power supplies for mainframes, e.g. IBM, Amdahl, ICL

Mainly software. I did a computer science degree in the early 1990s at St Andrews, and started a software engineering PhD there but my progressive neurological illness struck just then. My husband is a computer scientist too, but programs software and hardware in his day job, for space research and space missions.

Mainly software. I did a computer science degree in the early 1990s at St Andrews, and started a software engineering PhD there but my progressive neurological illness struck just then. My husband is a computer scientist too, but programs software and hardware in his day job, for space research and space missions.
Maybe you will both end up at https://saxavord.com space center in Shetland. Plenty opportunity to meet and play accordion with Peter Wood 😀

Maybe you will both end up at https://saxavord.com space center in Shetland. Plenty opportunity to meet and play accordion with Peter Wood 😀
Haha! Might be nice to be there, but we need to stay near the large hospital that helps keep me alive. Dundee has been an important centre for space technology research for over two decades. Glasgow is the other major Scottish hotspot.

Back