• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Reed Wax Strips

boxplayer4000

Prolific poster
Reaction score
Reed Wax Strips.
Has anybody got any suggestions about how reed wax can be converted into convenient sized strips (eg. 6mm square) for melting onto reeds?
I have a method using a shallow tray and grease-proof paper but I feel it could be improved upon.

You normally melt a sizeable amount (in a small pot) and use a special "spoon" to pour the wax in between the reed plates. When you have strips and then presumably use a soldering iron to melt "onto reeds" you indeed end up melting the was "onto" reeds which is not what you want.

Very rarely with a soldering iron I find the wax goes where it shouldn't. It can be 'death' to leather or vileda type valves. JimD's suggestion, elsewhere on this forum, that the outer valves are only fitted after the waxing is done is good.
My original question is how best to make the wax strips in the first place from a large lump of wax/resin.

Very rarely with a soldering iron I find the wax goes where it shouldn't. It can be 'death' to leather or vileda type valves. JimD's suggestion, elsewhere on this forum, that the outer valves are only fitted after the waxing is done is good.
My original question is how best to make the wax strips in the first place from a large lump of wax/resin.
I always follow that advice of fitting the outer valves after waxing the reed plate in place.
If you want to attempt the strips + soldering iron method... I have made short strips just by cutting a "strip" from a lump of wax and then rolling it just with my hand. The body temperature is enough to make the wax a bit malleable so you can roll it. Your fingers get a bit sticky, but first cleaning your hands with benzine on a paper towel and then with warm water and soap gets rid of the residu.

I've never heard of anybody rolling the wax in their hands. Sounds a bit messy. I get mine supplied in neat, cut strips approx 5 or 6mm square and only raised the topic because it's more economic to buy a large lump of wax (or make your own as I and others have done in this forum) and make your own strips. My own method of making the strips is a bit clumsy and merely wanted to know if anybody had a better method.

press it through a noodle maker?
We also have something like this...
frietsnijder.jpg
It's to cut potatoes into french fries (comes with a 10mm and a 6 mm grid). I never tried it with wax, but I'm sure the wax needs to be heated a bit (maybe 30 to 35 degrees c) so that the cutter doesn't break right away...

I get my wax from CGM: http://www.cgmmusical.co.uk/CGM_Musical_Services/Reed_Wax_Nails.html#0
It comes in a disc about 5mm thick which I cut into strips with a stanley knife.

I've fitted my soldering iron bit with a flattened female spade connector which the wax will melt onto and pool in the gaps before transfer to the reed plate.

I used a large plastic syringe without the needle attached. Melt the wax, pour into syringe, push in the plunger and spread on a piece of tight weave carpet, like a carpet tile. Takes a little practice but It works well. You have to go fast. Got the syringe from Tractor Supply - they use them for farm animals.

lol.. cappy. i know those long metal "syringes" well

used for insemination or delivering medicine to places we will not describe

Interesting what notions people come up with to solve the same problem!
Having seen a video of an accordion factory employee wielding a waxing spoon with aplomb, I personally would vote for that (some practice required 😄)

Last edited:
I also feel the Italian style (half moon) wax "spoon" is the most elegant approach, but as that's not what you're asking...
I wonder if it would work well to pretend you are making candy -- as in, use the spoon to draw lines of wax on a silicone baking sheet, wait for them to cool, and then pop them off.

Thanks to all.
Gonk: I agree the 'half-moon' wax spoon is the most elegant approach and I've seen the Italian videos demonstrating this. It looks like one of those skills that the expert make it look much simpler than it is. Most of what I do is repairs to a single (or very few) reeds at at time where the soldering-iron approach has been adequate. Only about once or twice a year do I do a complete instrument wax job.
These are the neat wax strips I buy from a local supplier:

CGMWax.jpg

Back