• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Max temperature for reed wax

Don't know the answer but we sometimes have daily maximum temperatures up to 46 degrees C, and the wax has survived that!šŸ™‚
Of course, the accordion doesn't get much use on such days!šŸ˜„

Last edited:
Accordion wax is not like water versus ice, where even just under 0c ice is rock solid and just above 0c it's completely liquid water. Accordion wax starts becoming softer and gooey but a bit like glue it is still sticky, and only when heated further will it become liquid. When the wax is at that turning point the reed plates will still be held in place but only when no force (other than gravity) is applied to them. So an accordion may survive an ambient temperature of 50c when it's just sitting still and heated uniformly (not by direct sunlight) but when you play the accordion forcefully in 45c it may already fail because the wax no long has enough strength to keep the reed plates on while (warm) air pressure tries to blow the reeds off.
Also, accordion wax becomes harder and more brittle over time, so a new accordion may survive a hotter temperature than an old one even though initially the composition of the wax was the same.
In any case... I would advice that once temperatures go up to 40c, stop playing, stow the accordion (preferably in a cooler place) and enjoy accordion music from a CD (or record or streaming platform).

Accordion wax is not like water versus ice, where even just under 0c ice is rock solid and just above 0c it's completely liquid water. Accordion wax starts becoming softer and gooey but a bit like glue it is still sticky, and only when heated further will it become liquid. When the wax is at that turning point the reed plates will still be held in place but only when no force (other than gravity) is applied to them. So an accordion may survive an ambient temperature of 50c when it's just sitting still and heated uniformly (not by direct sunlight) but when you play the accordion forcefully in 45c it may already fail because the wax no long has enough strength to keep the reed plates on while (warm) air pressure tries to blow the reeds off.
Also, accordion wax becomes harder and more brittle over time, so a new accordion may survive a hotter temperature than an old one even though initially the composition of the wax was the same.
In any case... I would advice that once temperatures go up to 40c, stop playing, stow the accordion (preferably in a cooler place) and enjoy accordion music from a CD (or record or streaming platform).
Thanks Debraā€¦ Our temperatures here in Coastal California are moderate, but weā€™re planning a car trip to the very hot Southwest in the Fall.
I have a feeling Iā€™m going to be bringing my instrument into restaurants a lot, and not leaving it in the car. šŸ˜†

Many moons ago, I worked as a photographer often in a semi-journalistic style recording outdoor events.
In Western Australia the days in Summer can become rather hot in the bright sunshine and shady places to park the car can be few and far between.
Pilfering from parked cars (automobiles for those of you in the Americas) was not uncommon, either.
Being one of those who, by dint of financial imperative, had to 'make do and mend', I resorted to a large 'Esky' (variously known as a 'Chilly bin', 'cooler bin', 'cooler box' etc.) in which to place my sensitive and attractively expensive bagful of gear.
No ice, obviously, but when packed early in the cool of the morning it did provide some protection from both the heat of the day and effectively reduced the attraction of expensive equipment - after all, what is there of great value in a food hamper that would make the breaking into a car worthwhile?
The classic aluminium suitcase style camera case was always a 'giveaway' to any sharp eye.
It was also effective at reducing the amount of red dust and sand which was often blowing about.
So, transposing this into the world of squeezeboxes, a rather large "Esky" might serve those of you who like to transport your delicate and precious instruments both safely and surreptiously; the 'roadie case' being a clear invitation to those of illegally aquisitive natures to smash a window and make off with it.
But no ice. Definitely no ice.
;)

Thanks Debraā€¦ Our temperatures here in Coastal California are moderate, but weā€™re planning a car trip to the very hot Southwest in the Fall.
I have a feeling Iā€™m going to be bringing my instrument into restaurants a lot, and not leaving it in the car. šŸ˜†
Leaving your accordion in the car is much more a problem for theft than for melting wax, at least around here it is.

Back