• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Quick tip....6,2,5,1...

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some one showed me this neat little trick to give a 6,2,5,1 progression a little spicy flavour...they showed me on piano with their right hand but I noticed immediately how this would transfer to stradella...
So original progression in C would be
Am, Dm, G, to C
By adding secondary dominants to lead between changes you could play.
A bass, A min chord, C#bass (the third/counterbass above A) A7 chord, D bass, D min chord, F#bass D7 chord, G bass, G chord, B bass, G7 chord taking you to C....
So Amin, A7/C#, Dmin, D7/F#, Gmaj, G7/B to C....etc
Or rhythmic variations of same theme
A bass Am Ebass Am Abass Amin C#bass A7... to D min etc...
Once you've got the drift adjust to right hand too...sweet classic sound

Sorry if I'm last on the bus to have spotted this but thought might be a nice move to experiment with for some

To get from the C back up to the Amin I'd most likely play a bass run C,E,G,G#...leading back to the A...(C7/E isn't going to work...would be lumpy)

Last edited:
Some one showed me this neat little trick to give a 6,2,5,1 progression a little spicy flavour...they showed me on piano with their right hand but I noticed immediately how this would transfer to stradella...
Am, Dm, G, to C
A bass, A min chord, C#bass (the third/counterbass above A) A7 chord, D bass, D min chord, F#bass D7 chord, G bass, G chord, B bass, G7 chord taking you to C....

Sorry if I'm last on the bus to have spotted this but thought might be a nice move to experiment with for some

To get from the C back up to the Amin I'd most likely play a bass run C,E,G,G#...leading back to the A...(C7/E isn't going to work...would be lumpy)
I must have fallen off the bus because I have never tried this. Will check it when I get home this evening or tomorrow. Looks like it would work for a bit of improv.....

Am, Dm, G, to C

Nice one losthobos! I might be missing the point but it seems to me that your 6-2-5-1 progression might, as well as adding extra colour/interest to a bass line, be an answer to jumps, which may or may not end up exactly where intended. Why take the risk of flying when you can walk?

Some one showed me this neat little trick to give a 6,2,5,1 progression a little spicy flavour...

Nice! I must admit my accordion playing is not at a level to play this, but since banging my head against secondary dominants and "tonicisation" in music theory at uni. and making very little progress, once I saw a few examples it makes perfect sense and I use it a lot in my songwriting and guitar playing.

Am, Dm, G, to C

I can β€˜hear’ a few triplets in the bass along with this, but used sparingly, especially with a doo-wop tune, as suggested.

Back