• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Putting pre-war Scandalli reeds into another accordion

Reaction score
I've gotten about half of the treble reeds waxed onto the blocks of my little 32 bass. If you've ever played a really resonant guitar where you feel the vibration of the notes in the body, that's what I'm getting on my Paolo Soprani. I haven't even tuned them yet but they sound really close to being in tune, but a little to wet for my taste. When the day comes where I buy a new high-end italian accordion and it doesn't sound this good I'll be real upset.

I've gotten about half of the treble reeds waxed onto the blocks of my little 32 bass. If you've ever played a really resonant guitar where you feel the vibration of the notes in the body, that's what I'm getting on my Paolo Soprani. I haven't even tuned them yet but they sound really close to being in tune, but a little to wet for my taste. When the day comes where I buy a new high-end italian accordion and it doesn't sound this good I'll be real upset.
Good reeds are important, but part of the sound difference you hear is also caused by the waxing. New wax makes the reed plates stick to the blocks much better than old brittle wax. And new valves also help.

Back