• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Protect your valuable equipment

Pbraido

Reaction score
Just a word about making sure your equipment is protected when playing at home or out in various settings. I use a multi plug bar which has surge protection built into it - very important to have surge protection - although Iโ€™ve never had a problem I do not want to take a chance so I have it on the leg of my BK7M so I can plug my 2 amps my BK7M and my Roland FR8X into it when playing at home or out although I usually use battery power on my FR8X when playing out. I also plug the surge protected power bar into another small surge protector just as added insurance but I like the small surge protector because I can use in cases where I am only playing with my FR8X and not using the battery
I posted a couple of photos of what I use
So just a reminder to protect your equipment as it doesnโ€™t cost much and is peace of mind

Attachments

• 4E5D2DC8-D4E8-481A-BF0B-3D35E2B98DD5.jpeg
    4E5D2DC8-D4E8-481A-BF0B-3D35E2B98DD5.jpeg
    296.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 99F45771-4EF8-490A-93B4-F226098D4A64.jpeg
    99F45771-4EF8-490A-93B4-F226098D4A64.jpeg
    84.7 KB · Views: 6
I tend to take my protection a little more seriously at home... I use a full out UPS that weighs about 45 pounds... lol
1679070787747.png

I actually have 3 UPS units, one for my computer setup upstairs, one for my computer setup downstairs, and one for my music/video area. I am not only protected from spikes, but the more dangerous "brown-outs" that happen if I lose power. When that happens (and it's happened a few times this winter), I have 45 minutes to safely turn off any computers, monitors or music recording/video equipment before the batteries run out.

Another point that Jerry mentioned some time ago about the 8X. Do not charge the battery and simultaneously play the 8X. The power requirement is near the limit of the supply in the 8X (even though the 8X manual says it is O.K. It is possible to damage the power supply.

One at a time -- not both together.

I tend to take my protection a little more seriously at home... I use a full out UPS that weighs about 45 pounds... lol
1679070787747.png

I actually have 3 UPS units, one for my computer setup upstairs, one for my computer setup downstairs, and one for my music/video area. I am not only protected from spikes, but the more dangerous "brown-outs" that happen if I lose power. When that happens (and it's happened a few times this winter), I have 45 minutes to safely turn off any computers, monitors or music recording/video equipment before the batteries run out.
Great idea with the UPS units Jerry I just may invest in one ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

1679070787747.png

The UPS (uninteruptable power supply) is an excellent device to use however they're not all created equally. Some have the ability to protect against dirty power where the voltage fluctuates below 110v and above 120V which can slowly destroy your equipment, however in many cases only some of the plugs were covered for this functionality. You need to carefully consider your requirements and purchase accordingly. I remember when I was in technical sales, having to engage a UPS engineer to design a survivable backup for a critical site, needless to say the solution came with an eye watering price but the end users were technical enough to see the benefits. ๐Ÿ˜ตโ€๐Ÿ’ซ

Ha ha...you poor Americans...if only you had the stability of an English electricity supply....
I remember reading accounts of American guitar players coming to this pretty shitty little island and being enthralled with the reliability and sound of electricity here...
Unfortunately I've an English friend who'd been playing guitar in states and electric blew him across room, both hands on guitar so current through heart...now wheelchair bound ..still fun player though...I had duo with him several years...I played guitar back then... he's now Reverend of a church...
Count your blessings...๐Ÿ™

Ha ha...you poor Americans...if only you had the stability of an English electricity supply....
You do know that its 110 volts in the USA and 220 volts as a standard in the UK, yes? I'd much rather hold that wire here than there...LOL

Thatโ€™s if you can identify the hot wire in the US! Is it the black one or the white one or the white one with black tape on it or the black one thatโ€™s splashed with white paint.
Sorry but US household electrics suckโ€ฆ
In the UK itโ€™s brown for live (was red for danger, changed it to comply with EU rules that they are now not even in ๐Ÿ˜‚) and the plugs are self sealing so your kid cannot go sticking a wire in there.
Just my pet annoyance living here in the US. Well, that and how yโ€™all drop the H from herb๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

i thought it went without saying that every musicians "kit" had
to include a simple outlet tester ?
41E5e7Yeu3L._SX342_SY445_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

You do know that its 110 volts in the USA and 220 volts as a standard in the UK, yes? I'd much rather hold that wire here than there...LOL
Forget the numbers ... it's the AC current that'll spare you and the DC current that'll splash ya...๐Ÿ˜‰

As a youngster, I survived several electrical misadventures both in Europe and here in Australia (240v).
It certainly wakes you up!๐Ÿ˜„

As a youngster, I survived several electrical misadventures both in Europe and here in Australia (240v).
It certainly wakes you up!๐Ÿ˜„
Yep. 120 volts will tickle you, 220/240 volts will shock you and 380/400 volts will knock you over completely. (Sadly I have experience with all three...)

even a D cell battery can stop your heart under ideal conditions,
because it is the amperage that actually lets the Force be with you

in older equipment, there was a certain amount of protection,
as the windings of the power transformer physically isolated
you from the "mains" and then there was a Fuse to (hopefully)
blow out before you did

fuses inside equipment are typically lower than power strip
breakers (15 amps) or house fuses (15, 20, 30 amp on lines)

oftentimes, the most surprising jolt you would get when working
on innards would come with Power off and plug disconnected
and a careless whisper allowed some big fat Capacitor to discharge
through your hand and arm suddenly

Back