• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Sourcing tools and equipment UK

Tongle

They said it was easy! They lied!
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a place to source tools and materials from in the UK e.g. valves, wax, tuning scraper etc….?
I am aware of CGM but the web site says they are not taking any orders.
Also found a web-based source in Germany but shipping may be a bit of a nuisance.

I think I may have decided to have a go at repairing and tuning the accordion I bought on impulse recently. Watching a selection of good YouTube videos it seems to be within my limited skill set, could be fun and save me quite a bit of cash.
(The again things could go horribly wrong and I end up down a very deep and even more expensive rabbit hole)🫣😭😱

if you post a photo of a pending repair you want to attempt,
likely we can at least make you aware of "gotcha's" ahead of time
or advise you if you describe your repair approach incorrectly

bearing in mind people can always figure out a "way" to fix
something, but the best advise usually centers on the RiGHT way
to do it, which is usually the time tested recommendation/method.

an owner tends to benefit best from the long-term solution

Many thanks. I’ll post photos but there’s a few issues from what I can tell.
1) Tuning especially when 2 voices selected.
2) Valves curling up but working except louder on draw than push
3) D key honking like a goose - needs re wax
4) Some keys a bit sticky (probably just a clean needed)

Good news is that the bass end sounds good and bellows seem sound.

generally then

"2 voices selected" you first isolate the more powerful or the (A-440) row
and get that in tune "with itself" so that it is correct/accurate

the second voice you tune also to itself generally, but you finish it
by tuning it with/against the primary and you do that by listening
for the "beating" which is the phenomena of near frequencies iinteracting

some levels of "beating" are pleasant and desirable (for musette) some
can sound harsh (the math is at war at that frequency) and sometimes
you want zero beating as you go for the cleanest sound

valve rejuvenation is discussed in past threads, otherwise replace them
all is likely what you will need to do

that D key, close and considered examination in all positions first

sticky can be the sides of the keys, mild swelling/distortion of the wood under,
gunky pivoting on the rod, dust bunnines all over the springs..
careful examination

good luck

Question...are the reeds on one side the white keys and the other side the black?
Also is one block the main and the other the detuned for the tremolo effect?

Valves & wax - I don't think you can get them in the UK these days, now that CGM is closed.
If you're not in a hurry, I might have some to spare in a month perhaps, as I'll be importing a bulk order from the civilised world.

Tools wise, in all honesty, I can't say I was happy with what Charlie had in stock, and that's the same tools that you get from other retailers. Making your own is the way to go here, imho.

Your box looks pretty neat & tidy - you might do more damage than good if you start messing with it as your first repair job. Perhaps, take it to a repairman instead? You can always find a battered old single row box in some car boot sale to practice some repairs.

Thanks for the feedback.
It's good to hear that the box doesn't look too bad. I totally agree with the words of caution. It would be so easy to just make things worse.
I have contacted 2 repairers (one 45 mins away and one I'd have to post to) who are willing to have a go. The problem is the cost which is more than I paid for the box in the first place.
The good news is that it would still be cheaper than buying an 80 bass new or even 2nd hand from what I can see and I can begin to learn with just one voice selected even though it doesn't sound great.
Just need a bigger piggy bank😁😉

From the looks, you don't need the thing overhauled - swapping half a dozen valves & spot tuning such a small box should be very affordable. :unsure:
But one voice is all you need to start learning.

Can anyone recommend a place to source tools and materials from in the UK e.g. valves, wax, tuning scraper etc….?

I was using CGM until they stopped taking orders. Recently I placed an order with 'Strings and Boxes' but they're in Germany. It arrived fine, no customs issues. But it would be good to know if there is another UK supplier.

sutherlandtrading.com are based in Wales and deal with Hohner. I've ordered spares from them in the past (pre CGM period).
An issue then was that their orders only came and went once per month so if you ordered at the wrong time it could be up to 2 months delivery.
I have an account with Hohner.de which works with the efficiency we've come to expect from that part of the EU.

From the looks, you don't need the thing overhauled - swapping half a dozen valves & spot tuning such a small box should be very affordable. :unsure:
But one voice is all you need to start learning.
Thanks. I do think it needs tuning though and I have a rattling reed too and have begun to notice a few smaller rattles elsewhere. I am so tempted to have a tinker with it but I think I’ll just make things worse and be back to square 1. However I have begun learning a couple of tunes on one voice which is ok until I hit D1 which sounds like a goose honking😂.

Back