• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Playing against backing tracks..good or bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daveg4otu

Just wonder what anyone thinks about this? I spend a fair bit of time playing/practising against Midi tracks(or should that be " with"?..guess it depends whether it is a battle or not!)

There are literally thousands for free on the internet ...and with a decent player software you can vary tempo, key and kill of specific instruments.

My only complaint is that it is a lot less forgiving than humans.

I say go for it ...I do it occasionally and you can have great fun.........

I don't know about being less forgiving than humans ....

at least you don't have to apologise to a backing track when you make a flub :lol:

Jarvo

not sure what you mean by ''backing track''. Is it just background stuff like a second part or is it a full blown rendition of a tune in all its glory. To me the former is a backing track and the latter is is simply a recording that gives the opportunity to try to join in and hopefully copy the phrasing and dynamics etc of a decent rendition either by a single artist or collection of musicians ? a band.

Playing with the former can help with timing etc but not neccesarily with improving ones rendition of a particular tune. Playing with the latter can be very useful as it imposes a certain discipline on ones playing and restricts the scope for doing ones own thing or otherwise arsing about with a perfectly good tune!

It is something I would very much encourage with the proviso that one should not be put off if , as is quite likely, you find it very difficult to begin with.

george

OK if you like the track. If you don't its a waste of money. Like rythyms, it has to be one that suits your liking. Playing on your own these things can be an exercise in discipline for timing, listening as well as playing. Playing alone without the props just listening to oneself enables one to give better musical expression instead of mechanically keeping time (like a metranome) to something else. Playing with friends is different, theres a lot more pleasure in it, discpline is more laxed and it don't matter if you make the odd mistake. Though somehow you always keep time with each other and if one slows down for an ending or just for expression the other does it also.

george garside said:
not sure what you mean by ''backing track''. Is it just background stuff like a second part or is it a full blown rendition of a tune in all its glory. To me the former is a backing track and the latter is is simply a recording that gives the opportunity to try to join in and hopefully copy the phrasing and dynamics etc of a decent rendition either by a single artist or collection of musicians ? a band.

Playing with the former can help with timing etc but not neccesarily with improving ones rendition of a particular tune. Playing with the latter can be very useful as it imposes a certain discipline on ones playing and restricts the scope for doing ones own thing or otherwise arsing about with a perfectly good tune!

It is something I would very much encourage with the proviso that one should not be put off if , as is quite likely, you find it very difficult to begin with.

george

Both......A purpose designed or one you made yousrelf ...rhythm track/backing track...and also a full blown CD track...play the lead to the rhythm track and jam along and improvise to the CD track....

goldtopia said:
OK if you like the track. If you dont its a waste of money. Like rythyms, it has to be one that suits your liking. Playing on your own these things can be an exercise in discipline for timing, listening as well as playing. Playing alone without the props just listening to oneself enables one to give better musical expression instead of mechanically keeping time (like a metronome) to something else. Playing with friends is different, theres a lot more pleasure in it, discipline is more laxed and it dont matter if you make the odd mistake. Though somehow you always keep time with each other and if one slows down for an ending or just for expression the other does it also.

Well thats a little bit like saying thats okay if you like the tune...which I suppose is fair enough ...my new chums at the Uke group I have recently joined want to play quite a few of the Beatles tunes...never mind I just grin and bear it ..

you write that these are merely an excercise in discipline like playing to a metronome...Yes , spot on ,but unlike playing to just a metronome youve got a listenable tune...these things give the ability to experiment ...to improvise around the tune...

I find it fascinating on this forum that nearly everybody writes about playing the accordion as an unaccompanied solo instrument ....and then nearly every I Like That thread clip submitted features the Accordion as part of at least a duo and generally more.....Backing Tracks give you the ability and discipline needed to play in this manner in the comfy confines of your own armchair/stool/standing being able to learn:

a) playing from start to finish

b) coming in on time ....and all without the embarrassment of cocking up in front of others.

c) A tune

and it is like playing to or with a bunch of friends ....or other musicians ..the advantage being you can play just what you want and no falling out about tunes ......and as for playing with others ...about slowing down etc..you can only do that if you KNOW that is going to happen ....so same thing really..... :b {} :ch

Having said all that ,if you dont wanna ..you dont hafta.... :D

I use tracks all the time to practice, sometimes just a loop with a sequence of chords and basic drum sounds.

I am talking about MIDI tracks ...there are literally thousands available free on the internet covering all kinds of music ...from classical to modern <S>crap</S> pop or religious to military marches.

Most come with several instruments - for example
"Foggy Mountain Breakdown" has Banjo,Nylon str.Guitar, Violin,Mandolin,Bass,Drums(snare)...or..
"Danse de Mardi Gras":Bandoneon,Bass, Fiddle,Jazz Guitar,Steel st Guitar,Fr Accordion,Rhythm(Snare/Cymbals/Bass)

Any instrument can be turned off, tempo can be altered and key changed.
I find that playing against these makes me "keep up" and , for new tune I can slow the pace till I find a tempo that I can keep up with.

Some..those intended for karaoke use, come without a melody line but usually with lyrics running in time.

Here's a link to just one of many sites offering free tacks ...this is predominantly country site but there are others with all kinds of music.
Free player - google for VanBasco karaoke player.

Backing tracks are a good aid to practicing as they do not slow down in parts that you find difficult or stop when you make a mistake.

Saying that they should be used when you learning how a tune goes or are proficient with the tune as they can mask problems with your playing that are hidden with the backing track.

I thinks used properly they are a good aid. :tup:

For those folkies amongst you try http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/folk/sessions/swf/folkmenu.html

Youtube is also a vast resource for things to play along withand often there are varying renditions of the same tune ranging from brilliant to bloody awful! -- and even the latter can be useful particularly if you find yourself saying something on the lines of '' oh dear that's how I play it and it sounds crap'' ( and we've all been there more than once!)

A you tube video I would particularly recommend is that of Brandon McPhee playing 'the dark island' its a nice slow one to get head and fingers round and is played first time through using only a single treble voice and no bass then changing to musette with bass.

There are also a lot of Sir Jimmy Shands recordings taken from his early 78's and vids of the complete DVD ''dancing with the shands'' each vid is of one dance set and includes common tunes like coming round the mountains, yankee doodle dandy, maggy, let him go let him tarry, beer barrel polka, my bonny lies over the ocean, as well as traditional Scottish dance tunes. Great to have a go at playing along with.

george

YEs ...agree about Youtube....I use it a lot for guitar tracks...trying to emulate Chuck Berry etc.... :)
Also for cajun stuff - some very good performers there as well as a few diabolical ones!

Realised I forgot the link (midi site) in my last so here it is....
http://jbott.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back