• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Petosa Americana

I bought a used PanJet 45 about 10 or 12 years ago from Joe Petosa, Jr. and used it as a trade toward my Americana. Owned the Americana for 6 months or so, then traded up for the Artista with Joey who patiently explained the differences between the used Artista and a used Antico.

The Petosa family sent a total of three accordions from Washington State to the Washington DC suburbs, all arriving safely.

I’ve had good experiences with both Petosa and Liberty Bellows in Philadelphia. I wouldn’t hesitate in recommending either shop. LB has the advantage of location, as I have driven the 400 mile round trip in a day.

Most forum members agree that the handful of US accordion dealers work hard to earn their customers’ trust, but customers should expect to pay a premium for good customer service, and a decent return policy.

I recently bought a used Hohner CBA from EBay. I only considered the purchase because the seller offered a 30 day refund. Yes, one can find better prices from private sellers, but the condition is always a coin toss. I was fortunate.

Was your Soprani compact too? CBA or PA? Do you like your Nemo?
It was a CBA, and it was not compact. I was a bit reluctant to trade it in as it was (and is) my only full-sized instrument... but I consoled myself that I would get the (96 bass) Petosa 4100 C in March (next month, now!), and could "tide myself over" with the Nemo II in the meantime. I was also trading in a C-system converter Pigini Studio B2, which is very nearly identical to the Nemo II, and in fact has one additional row of bass keys, at 78 versus the Nemo II's 72.

The two instruments are so very similar, in fact, that Joe was strongly urging me to reconsider trading in the Pigini for it, as the two instruments are so similar, and I'd be taking a significant financial loss in doing so. But I was at the shop specifically because I was feeling frustrated at what felt like an extremely narrow window for dynamic range in being able to phrase my music expressively (I'd been arranging a Chopin Waltz at the time, and a very expressive, bluesy rendition of Amazing Grace). To my fingers and ears, the Nemo II was a significant step up from the Pigini on that front (though it's unclear to me right now if I might have remedied my issues with some expert maintenance on the Pigini valves or reed spacing or something?), and it was worth it to me to pay a few thousand dollars to have effectively the instrument I already had, but with better expressive power.

Now, the difference in expressive power is significant, but not dramatic. The prize for "dramatic" goes to the 4100 C that I played there. But as I was trading toward both the (expensive - it is a converter after all) Nemo II and also a Roland FR-1xb (basically the same instrument but digital), I couldn't quite afford to also get the Petosa 4100 C. I could afford it if I dropped either of the other instruments (even the FR-1xb, which had just dropped to an insanely low price - the website currently says $2099 but I feel like it was lower than that), but I really needed a digital instrument so I could expand my practicing hours outside of the ones that are "safe" for other people at home, perhaps attempting to sleep late at night, even if I don't love the sound and feel of the instrument. And I also really wanted an analog converter instrument with better expressive range than I had, as it's useful to me in the largest variety of situations. But I can tell you I've been chomping at the bit for the 4100 C, with its improved range, and much improved expressiveness.

Okay, on to how I like the Nemo II. As I said it gives more range for expression than my Pigini had, but that's a low bar, and it's still not nearly as great a range as I might hope for. Like the Pigini it's a simple LM, with no register switches in the bass (just a converter switch). I don't know how many reed sets are employed for the bass (my guess is 3?), but I can tell you that I can clearly hear the octave changes between applicable notes (unlike the "master" setting on a more fully-voiced instrument). I've had very occasional trouble with one or two of the bass notes sticking (they had literally just received these instruments from factory, and removed one from box for me, and I didn't ask them to check over the internals before I bought it, which I will certainly do next time), so I'll have them look at that (for free) when I'm there in March to buy the Petosa.

The free bass notes only really sound good within a narrow range. The treble notes definitely have an annoying timbre in some ranges as well - but I think that's probably the price you pay for compact instruments, and the Pigini suffered from this at least as much.

My biggest complaint about the Nemo II, is that the bass C row is significantly higher than I might expect (certainly, higher than the Pigini had it, or my Roland FR-1xb, exact same number of bass and treble buttons). It is high enough that the topmost bass row is the (divoted) E row, with the result that I can't comfortably play anything in the key of E or B (it being a 72-bass with no redundant rows), and usually the key of A is out as well, unless I really want to jump to reach the B row. Now, since this is a CBA it's simple enough just to change keys for the most part, but...

When I play the Nemo II, I'm not "in love" with playing it, the way I was with the Soprani. The Petosa 4100 C gave me that feeling hugely, so I'm very much looking forward to feeling that again, with the added benefit of much better potential for musical expressivity/phrasing, than the Soprani had. The Nemo II, meanwhile, remains an excellent "grab-and-go", "jam" accordion, and comes with a carrying case that's effectively an oversize backpack. I use this case for both the Nemo II and the Roland, as they are the same size.

The CBA Nemo II that I have, has 36 (unique) treble keys in 5 rows. I imagine the PA version of it is more like 26 or thereabouts.

Many thanks for this wonderful and fascinating write-up! Cheers on your new acquisitions, and here's hoping your choices prove a good match-up!

The two instruments are so very similar, in fact, that Joe was strongly urging me to reconsider trading in the Pigini for it, as the two instruments are so similar, and I'd be taking a significant financial loss in doing so. But I was at the shop specifically because I was feeling frustrated at what felt like an extremely narrow window for dynamic range in being able to phrase my music expressively (I'd been arranging a Chopin Waltz at the time, and a very expressive, bluesy rendition of Amazing Grace). To my fingers and ears, the Nemo II was a significant step up from the Pigini on that front (though it's unclear to me right now if I might have remedied my issues with some expert maintenance on the Pigini valves or reed spacing or something?), and it was worth it to me to pay a few thousand dollars to have effectively the instrument I already had, but with better expressive power.
Well, for me what I associate with Pigini feels like the halibut of accordion sounds regarding its volume and roundedness. Meaning there is lots of volume and not so much roundedness. Its dynamic range is not really centered on apartment use, so when playing for yourself, it's sort of limited in the pressure range you can apply with an expectation of hearing a change in character.

Now as a CBA player, my exposure to other people's instruments is limited, but the few times I have been able to play with a real musician's Pigini, my curiosity did not evolve into jealousy.

So I think I get what you are saying. Probably would have opted for a larger change in order to avoid the feeling of making a bad deal.

Hope it works out well for you!

Last edited:
I was also trading in a C-system converter Pigini Studio B2, which is very nearly identical to the Nemo II, and in fact has one additional row of bass keys, at 78 versus the Nemo II's 72.

To my fingers and ears, the Nemo II was a significant step up from the Pigini on that front (though it's unclear to me right now if I might have remedied my issues with some expert maintenance on the Pigini valves or reed spacing or something?), and it was worth it to me to pay a few thousand dollars to have effectively the instrument I already had, but with better expressive power.

I've personal experience of the Pigini B2 and Nemo 2 as well. I absolutely wouldn't argue with you about sound - "halibut" is a good description! However the Pigini B2 I'd still say is the better instrument on balance if you want what both instruments offer: an ultra compact converter.

The Pigini has the freebass going down to bottom C so covers 90% of most music you'd ever want to play (common range with other keyboard instruments like the organ). The Bugari starts at the F# up from there which really limits what you can do with it straight away even as a relative beginner. Its a shame as they could have had a hit there.

The best therefore I've ever seen for a light, relatively cheap, compact converter remains the Pigini, and they can sound good with the insertion of powerful sound insulation matting on LH and RH to dumb down the excessive brightness!

Last edited:
I've stated this here previously, but it never hurts to mention it again in another thread years later.

Support from Petosa is World-Class. Joe Petosa is an upstanding person and always answers the phone and emails promptly. I bought my first-ever reedless accordion from them oh, probably 25 years ago now. The Petosa Millennium. It worked fantastically and I sold it for the same amount I paid for it after using it for a couple years. To a player in Kansas, I believe.

I would have no hesitation in buying anything from Petosa and would be secure in knowing they stand behind anything they sell 100%. It would be unlikely anybody here that has purchased from them would say otherwise.

My main consideration with Petosa is the value you are getting. How much of a premium is worth it to own a Petosa - especially if there are other brands of accordions that have as good of a build quality, sound incredible and are thousands of dollars less?

I haven't been in-person to their shop and there's a reason for that. I'm certain I'd walk out $12K poorer with a really nice accordion!
I have only nice things to say about Petosa. I recently needed a new bass strap. Joe Jr. answered the phone himself. He asked me to measure my existing strap, and they cut the new strap to the exact specifications of my old one so that it would fit perfectly. It is always a pleasure to deal with them.

What are you using for powerful insulation matting? I've heard of using felt to lessen brightness.
I found this to be the perfect partner for Pigini. I just affix it with masking tape rather than remove the adhesive backing. You then have the option of changing your mind!

Thanks for all of your replies and input concerning the Americana. I did end up purchasing one, and it arrived in 3-days time, fantastically well packaged, and including new Petosa leather straps and a gig bag. Not being a resident of Washington State, I escaped that State's 10% sales tax! After removing all of the extensive packaging, affixing the straps, and "trying it on," I quickly noticed that two of its reeds were hung up, non-sounding. I placed a call to Petosa and talked with Joe Sr himself. With his help and direction, I was able rather quickly to free up the problem reeds, and there's been no problem since. I must say, however, that I'm not nuts about the over-all tonality of the LMM set up, but it serves its intended purpose as a practice instrument. Still, I'm sure I'll be taking advantage of the Petosa offer to apply its full price value to another of their accordions of equal or greater value. Joe, son Joey, are good guys, easy to deal with.....

I'm not nuts about the over-all tonality of the LMM set up, but it serves its intended purpose as a practice instrument. Still, I'm sure I'll be taking advantage of the Petosa offer to apply its full price value to another of their accordions of equal or greater value. Joe, son Joey, are good guys, easy to deal with.....
Do you not like the reed configuration (not having a "H" reed) or is it the musette tuning of the MM reeds?
Was this a used accordion? I believe the trade up guarantee only applies to used instruments.

It's a new accordion, dry tuned. Trade-up guarantee does apply, for up to one year, but I pay shipping cost back to Petosa.

Back