• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

New 24 Volt Power Supply for FR-7X, FR-7 and FR-5

JIM D.

Been here for ages!
Technical Adviser
Site Supporter
Reaction score
New 24 Volt Power Supply
For use with Roland model FR-5, FR-7 and FR-7X Accordions
Now you can remove your 2 lb. BP-25-45 Battery Pack and make your V-accordion lighter!

Designed to protect your Roland in the event of any unexpected short circuit, voltage spikes and over voltage conditions.
No modifications to your accordion are required.
Stop carrying around your bulky Roland Foot Pedal unit and upgrade with this safe, high quality (less than 1 lb.) power supply!
Plugs directly into the Amphenol-jack on the bottom of the “V” accordion.
I also have a model available with power in and midi out

Please click on Ad below for pictures.

"">

Attachments

• BusinessCard.jpg
    BusinessCard.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 401
  • FisarmonicaAd7.jpg
    FisarmonicaAd7.jpg
    679 KB · Views: 586
New battery technology is nice, but if someone didn't do the homework like you did for your setup, I could see a few accordions being sent in to Roland for electronics repair or board replacement.

One day I know I will replace the battery in my 8X, I will be curious to see what technology will be available at that time. :)

JerryPH said:
New battery technology is nice, but if someone didn't do the homework like you did for your setup, I could see a few accordions being sent in to Roland for electronics repair or board replacement.

One day I know I will replace the battery in my 8X, I will be curious to see what technology will be available at that time.  :)

I replaced my battery on my old fr7. But I always had a spare. They were pricy too. Now with 4x, if one battery is bad in the batch, like I had, when Playing at high level, it would cut out briefly. Changed the battery batch solved the problem. 
I trust Jim D. In this. Appears he has done the homework. It is those others that are installing Lithium batteries or drilling holes in accordion body that bothers me. Maybe in the future units these will be the types factory recommended?

JerryPH said:
Keymn said:
I trust Jim D. 

He's always done good by me!

I received my power supply with MIDI out from Jim D, and I can say this is an amazing product. I am using it with a Roland FR-7 and it is sturdy, well-built, and works perfectly. Best of all, the connection to the accordion ensures no risk of damage to your instrument. He is a really great person to speak with, as well!

JerryPH said:
How is the playing time with the new battery, is it the same, shorter or longer?

This power supply works by plugging directly into the instrument, so I remove the battery and use the power supply only. It plugs directly into the amphenol jack where the cable to the FBC-7 pedal normally plugs in. This power supply doesn't charge the battery, but is used instead of the battery.
I received my FR-7 without the FB-7 pedal and cable, so I have no way to charge the battery I have. I am looking for a used one to purchase so I can try my battery out when I play outside the house. Otherwise, JimD's power supply is a perfect solution, and works great. I highly recommend it for those who would like to play without the battery, or who don't want to transport their foot pedal in order to plug in.

AccordionTop126 pid=64256 dateline=1551441439 said:
I am looking for a used one to purchase so I can try my battery out when I play outside the house....

No need to purchase an FBC-7.

Read this thread:

https://www.accordionists.info/showthread.php?tid=3816

If you just need a way to charge the battery, see the inset of this photo. It shows the Roland battery pack being charged by the Tenergy charger:

https://www.accordionists.info/attachment.php?aid=1638

Unfortunately, the slow Tenergy charger (0.5A) in the photo has been discontinued.

I also modified the connector of this charger for a member here and believe that its working fine (I tried it a few times to make sure it worked, but have always used the slow charger in the previous photo):

https://www.batteryspace.com/univer...MIxqT_odej4gIVFsJkCh3_MA6IEAQYBSABEgKvAPD_BwE

If you have some basic electronics knowledge, or know someone who does, its an economic solution.

Or you can contact batteryspace.com. Im sure they can offer a solution.

Or you can use 20 AA batteries. Youll get only 4 hrs of playing. But AA NiMH batteries and chargers are widely available.

Related thread:

https://www.accordionists.info/showthread.php?tid=4097

For charging the existing pack, any smart charger for a 24V NiMH pack is fine, as long as the it doesn't exceed the 4.5A (1C) battery capacity. Safer in terms of heat in an enclosed space is to use a charger with a 2-2.25A or less max current. Depending on how insulating the battery compartment is, you can even get away with a dumb charger of appropriate voltage with a current of no more than C/10 (.45A), though in that case you have to unplug it reasonably soon after charging.

I think it was the other threads, but the big thing to watch for in switching for Li-Ion batteries is that they have a much larger voltage change during their discharge curve. Depending on the circuitry in the Roland, a 24V nominal Li-Ion pack could overvolt the system and still show discharged before the battery is properly drained. Consider a voltage regulator if you are interested in trying to go this route.

New 24 Volt Power Supply
Now you can remove your 2 lb. BP-25-45 Battery Pack and make your V-accordion lighter!

Designed to protect your Roland in the event of any unexpected short circuit, voltage spikes and over voltage conditions.
Stop carrying around your bulky Roland Foot Pedal unit and upgrade with this safe, high quality (less than 1 lb.) power supply!

"">
PLEASE LET ME HOW MUCH DOES IT COST.THANKS.

New 24 Volt Power Supply

"">
Would you be willing to identify the part number and source you use for the Amphenol connector that attaches to the FR-7X? Also the pin numbers that are used to supply power to the accordion with the battery pack removed? That would be very much appreciated.

This power supply works by plugging directly into the instrument, so I remove the battery and use the power supply only. It plugs directly into the amphenol jack where the cable to the FBC-7 pedal normally plugs in. This power supply doesn't charge the battery, but is used instead of the battery.
I received my FR-7 without the FB-7 pedal and cable, so I have no way to charge the battery I have. I am looking for a used one to purchase so I can try my battery out when I play outside the house. Otherwise, JimD's power supply is a perfect solution, and works great. I highly recommend it for those who would like to play without the battery, or who don't want to transport their foot pedal in order to plug in.
Would you please share with me/us how much you paid for Jim’s power supply? I’m trying to decide if I should wait for Jim to possibly make more or go with other methods like Pentaprism or Ventura have implemented.

Gary:
Send me a PM or call me at 413 539 4950 I'll send you my schematic.

The part # for the plug is PT06- 14-9p -- they are and now have been made by Amphenal and also by Bendix

They can be found on Ebay at times. New will cost $35+ US Ebay sometimes has military surplus plugs for
$15 to $30 US They were and are used in military aircraft.
You will need a switching 24 volt power supply that has a minimum of at least 3 or better 5 Ohm output.

Last edited:
Jim,
Thank you so much for providing that helpful information! I will contact you offline for the schematic, but if you are going to make more of these assemblies anyway, I might prefer to just buy one from you. I would want the one without the MIDI and I’m not in a huge rush. Will you be making more of these and how much do you charge for the completed assembly? Thanks again!

New 24 Volt Power Supply

"">
Can you supply me with one of these....fr7 fbc charger power supply ? tokkievonk@gmail.com

New 24 Volt Power Supply

"">
How can I buy this and what the price

Hallo. Ich habe das FR-7x. Mich nervt auch das sperrige Netzteil. Hat einer den Schaltplan (Belegungsplan) des 39-poligen Amphenol Stecker?

Hallo. Ich habe das FR-7x. Mich nervt auch das sperrige Netzteil. Hat einer den Schaltplan (Belegungsplan) des 39-poligen Amphenol Stecker?

For the non-german readers: Harald is looking for the wiring of the 39 pin Amphenol plug of his FR7x to DIY a power adapter. He dislikes the bulkyness of the original one.

It’s very simple to add a 24V DC power jack input port using the connections to the battery pack inside the accordion. You need a 3-pin power jack, some wire (I use gauge 20, but any gauge in that neighborhood will do), and basic soldering skill.

An example of such jack: from Amazon.

You also need a good 24V DC power adapter.. I’m currently using an exact copy of this.

I’ll post a photo of my FR-7b later when I have a chance.

Edit to add;

View the threads below:

This thread
This thread too

Last edited:
Back