• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Neotech Deluxe Harness

Mike K

Reaction score
Decided to try one of these for an accordion I just got. Put it on and the shoulder straps are fine but the back strap is really difficult to use. Need to be a contortionist to hook it up. I have it on lowest spot and have it all the way stretched out. Still tight and very difficult to hook up. With my other back straps I would hook them up down low and then slide them up. Can't do it with this one.

I know I could loosen up shoulder straps more but not sure I want to do that. Anyone else have this problem with the harness. Not sure if I will keep it.

I understand that its of no help, but I've always had comfort/control issues with Neotechs... nothing but wide leather straps go on my accordions.

In your case if everything is maxed out, there is no choice but to lengthen the straps.

I understand that its of no help, but I've always had comfort/control issues with Neotechs... nothing but wide leather straps go on my accordions.

In your case if everything is maxed out, there is no choice but to lengthen the straps.
DO you recommend any brands and sources for leather straps? I bought some from a person who did repairs on my accordion in NW VA and they have not held up well. The material around the foam started breaking down very quickly. Leather is okay. just cracks/rips in the nylon type material. Also might need a back strap. I have one from my youth that is not long enough. Need to find a leather worker that can make a new strap on one side for me that is longer.

I have the Neotech straps and cannot fasten the back strap no matter what I do. I just don't bother with it.

DO you recommend any brands and sources for leather straps? I bought some from a person who did repairs on my accordion in NW VA and they have not held up well. The material around the foam started breaking down very quickly. Leather is okay. just cracks/rips in the nylon type material. Also might need a back strap. I have one from my youth that is not long enough. Need to find a leather worker that can make a new strap on one side for me that is longer.
I just went to my parts supplier in Burlington (Anderson's accordion sales and repair), I've bought three 4" wide straps with the plastic backstraps and those are solid... but they do take several weeks before they are settled in, so periodic adjustments over time will be needed. With the US dollar being stronger than the CA dollar, it just might be worth your time to shop in Canada!

You can google Andersons Accordion sales and repair in Burlington Ontario.

Last edited:
This works for me and is much easier to do than to explain.:
With accordion on a chair.
Fasten backstrap.
Unclip bottom right clip attachment.
Right strap over shoulder (loose)
Left arm thro' L strap
Pick up box while supporting it
Sit down, R strap in place, pull L strap down and attach bottom clip.
I find it worth the effort. The accordion sits much more securely.
And Knobby's way works too!
Either way I really like this harness

Fasten backstrap.
Left arm thro' L strap
Interesting. I wonder if the addition of a carabiner in that setup would permit this to work even more effectively? May take a couple and some protection but... yeah, needs a little more thought, but it has possibilities!!

Fasten backstrap.
Left arm thro' L strap
And Knobby's way works too!
Either way I really like this harness
Ackward but works better than trying to do the back strap last. I have tried the back strap in positions 2,4,5 working top to bottom...I think there are 5. I am used to wearing mine up high, I can put it higher putting the accordion on the way you descrive. The nylon strap though is uncomfortable agains my back. Do you have that problem? Wear do you put it? Leather is likely softer and does not dig in as much.

I found this video....sort of same idea you use I think.

Last edited:
I have the Original Neotech model that I use with a medium sized accordion. I didn't find a need to use the backstrap that came with it because the neoprene grips my shoulders well and does not slip off. From the photos, the Deluxe model appears to have the backstrap mounted higher up on the shoulders, which doesn't look like a good idea to me, as it would be hard to buckle. The Mega model for the heaviest accordions does not come with a backstrap at all, because they say it is not needed.

Didn't I mention that some people might find this a bit hard to grasp?
No, you actually explained it really well, I was able to visualize and see that perhaps adding a carabiner to between a very short (couple inches) strap and the main accordion strap would make it even easier to come on/off. I am going to look in to it seriously! :D

I find it easiest to just keep the back strap fastened and unclip both straps. Accordion on lap, throw straps over head, fasten below.

The straps unclipped like that seems to be easier to put in the case without risking catching a key, as an added bonus.

Re: "Ackward but..."
You're right.
That said, I do find the straps work better with the backstrap. It gets easier.
Re:" positions 2,4,5..."
No adjustment on mine - must be an older/simpler version.
I can feel the strap but that's OK.

I just went to my parts supplier in Burlington (Anderson's accordion sales and repair), I've bought three 4" wide straps with the plastic backstraps and those are solid... but they do take several weeks before they are settled in, so periodic adjustments over time will be needed. With the US dollar being stronger than the CA dollar, it just might be worth your time to shop in Canada!

Says temporarily closed on Google and web site does not appear to work. Not sure if store is closed or website is down. Will try again tomorrow.

Ah sorry Mike, I gave Keith a fast text... apparently his father is in ill health, he is staying with him to take care of him for a while. I am pretty sure he has some things in stock, just that if he is at his father's he likely did close for a period of time.

Messaged him and he showed two straps a Sinfonia and a Fusselli. Any experience with either of these?

Do you have to pay any customs fees when receiving goods from Canada? I think there is 15% sales tax. Anything else I should be concerned about/

I sincerely do not know... when I ordered my first straps from Castiglione in the USA, I was charged local tax, but not any duty or import fees. There was a $12 shipping charge, though.

This may not work for everyone, but I keep my back strap high enough that I can fasten it by reaching over my head. Since the main problem the back strap solves is the left strap sliding off the shoulder, this high position works well for me.

Last edited:
Back