• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

my hamfists smash another old chestnut.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score
New to forum so will post up vids of tunes as i manage to destroy them in my own inimitable style
Any help gratefully received, many thanks

A great start to a saturday morning! Thanks for posting :)

losthobos said:
New to forum so will post up vids of tunes as i manage to destroy them in my own inimitable style
Any help gratefully received, many thanks

Enjoyed watching your video performing Glen Millers Moonlight Serenade.

My comment ( since you asked for help ) would be watch your bellows movements in and out because when you are holding down the melody buttons you tend to open or close the bellows which breaks up the sound on the notes you are playing. Its something like taking a breath during holding down the notes in the song. It takes practice but it is doable and you can do it.

Hope you have a chance to do more video performances.

Happy keyboarding.

Very nice, very lush, I enjoyed the right hand harmonies, well if you spend time with Harry Hussey I suppose you should pick up some good chords... You seem to have done some good videos in 2008 as well as this year. More please, I'd like to hear more.

Thankyou Mr Magoo, you're 100% on the dot...i need to learn bellows control.. i'm self taught so not sure where to start as have given this skill little attention, i figuring pull out 4 bars push in 4 bars unless a note is sustained across the last measure... certaintly not as simple as first assumed but thankyou for bringing to my attention and i will endevour to practice...
Thankyou Matt for your kind comments... Harry has been a great help though much of his wisdom floats over my head... i generally use a head sheet with basic chords to work out tunes and then try and create sweeter chords beneath the headline melody with whatever fingers i find spare ...if it sounds alright i go with it...sometimes i'm lucky...

Great effort! :tup:

The fundamental rule for bellows is: Don't change direction with your finger on a key or button, or within a phrase(slur).
And as an aside, finishing the piece with the bellows near closed looks a lot more 'pro' than a yard of unfolded bellows to close at the end - not saying you do - but if you are going to concentrate on the bellows phrasing you may as well take this into account.
If you try to identify the phrases, you'll be surprised how easy it becomes and how massive improvement to the tune for very small change in technique. You've got loads more bellows than you're using, so can afford to 'cover' those phrases.

I don't think it is ham fisted at all.
Well done.
Soulsaver has some very valid comments about bellows control which will be true for the majority of us I guess.
The Glen Miller piece is not so easy as it has to be smooth and full of sound controlled sound.
I imagine there are many voiceings one can make for this piece and you have done a good job at bringing it across well.

Hi,

Had seen you before on You Tube and really appreciate what you can do with those right hand chords. Chords have always been my weakness in any instrument that I've played, and I really struggle with anything other than basic major and minor chords, never mind all that jazzy stuff. I also play lead guitar and relied on guys with good chord technique on rhythm guitar, which is something I just cannot do. I always like to be playing single note melodies, and that has caused me problems with the accordion.

I too am self taught, and don't worry about the bellows at all. If I need air in them I get it by whatever means that's available. I'm prone to improvise at times and cannot be bothered to remember how many times I've pushed or pulled when I'm playing.

I suppose all of the above advice is helpful, but at my age I just play for pleasure without any designs on entertaining a paying audience.

The very fact that you are posting on You Tube means you believe that you're worth listening to, and you are.

Ahhhhh the old shall I push or shall I pull conundrum. I suffer the same and it's only repetition that solves it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back