• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

another episode of "name that accordion"

cass

Reaction score
greetings all. I am doing a bit of research for a friend about his accordion. It appears to have had a badge on the grill originally but no longer does. The reed banks have wooden frames and the bass machine is all metal. Outside, the instrument is pretty understated. The keys are pretty but the treble switches are the most notable distinguishing feature (at least to me). The parts and case are stamped 1991. Was wondering if anyone has seen switches like this? Any other features I should look for to aid in identification? Thanks so much.
cass

image1.jpegimage2.jpegimage0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpegimage0.jpeg

Welcome, cass !🙂
Have you tried looking inside: there may be some clues there ?🤔
I see it has 140 bass buttons, which is rarer, and favoured by Balkan musicians.🙂

I opened it up completely, nothing to identify the maker. the major parts are all stamped 1991 with the exception of one of the bass reed banks. doubt that it is not original as it looks pretty much like the others. there are some pencil marks describing the colors of the bellows and some dimensions but that's about it. I did a google search of 140 bass key accordion images but couldn't find any with the same treble switches. seems to be built very solidly and with a great deal of care. sounds very nice.

Hopefully someone will recognise it!🙂
While looking about, inside, did you notice the condition of the leather valves, reeds, wax?🤔🙂

Last edited:
good morning.
about half the leather valves are flat, some are curled up, a couple are missing. The wax appears to be good although I don't know enough to look for small details in it. The reeds seem to be working, some have some discoloration that didn't seem to scrape off (after very gentle attempt). I think the bellows are nearly leak-free, again I am just learning. One of the treble keys sticks on occasion but I haven't looked into why.
I think it is probably not a Rino pigini but not positive. I will google that name and look for images.
thanks all for the hints.

I googled Rino Pigini instruments but nothing matches very well. They are far more ornate than the one I am researching. I did see some models of Paolo Soprani instruments that had similar treble switches but only in the respect that they were made to resemble the black and white keys of a piano key board. I am very sure this one is not a Paolo soprani.
the joy is in the hunt.

Back