• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Looking for lightweight med-to-sm Italian PA

Status
Not open for further replies.

cat

Reaction score
I hope that some or as many may find it pleasant to respond to what must be an oft-asked question, please.

Is there something that would approach the sound of my Crucianelli/PanItalia in a lighter-weight? I'm also on a budget--so seeking used/vintage, etc. I'm a serious but only occasionally performing amateur player.

I play melodeon, so I really like the convenience of a lightweight box. But I love the sound (and feel) of my heavy PA--although even just a 2-voice--Pancordian. Are there some smaller boxes that may approach the sound--even possibly accepting a small ~16" keyboard, etc?

Thanks!

Can I phrase it another way perhaps?

I can operate my 72 bass arietta comfortably, but find the sound difficult to live with. I've seen some that appear to be smaller on ebay, but I hesitate to gamble. There are just so few around for sale..

Sound is so subjective when near to me maybe a mile out to you. Your Arietta ia at least 40 years old, too. Is it an M? And you dont like the tremelo sound? No Italian 72 basses spring to mind with cheapish & easily found. That to me is a recipe for a Hohner.

Maybe digging around on youtube find something near and then get some opinions as to whether the sound you like is custom or out of the box.

This maybe worth a read.. if you didnt see it before
http://www.accordionists.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1404

And you could consider having the tuning changed on the Arietta which may be the eloquent solution. Where are you?

That's why I use the word "approach" :lol:

I'm in Western Montana USA. Yes I think the Arietta is mid '50s -- it is an "M." But my Pancordian is also getting long-in-the-tooth, isn't it?..I thought these were from the 60s or perhaps earlier.. The Cruc is simply such a smooth playing and sounding box--compared with my German boxes. I'm unable to achieve the same dynamics and expression. The tremolo isn't the issue--since I play primarily single reed with the repertoire I play (folk music).

Thank you for the suggestions. I'll keep digging around and see what I can come up with.

And thanks for that thread link--I'll read it now!

Yes I'm sure you cant match the tone of a big Italian box witha small German - and the smaller bellows will need deft handling to get near the same expression - good luck with the search, but if you now cant handle a full size there may have to be a compromise on budget or tone.
I have a Honer 1950s compact 17" keyboard, 41/120 3/5(?) voice with lovely IMO mild trem. Maybe just the job, Its a Carmen IIIM - worth keeping an eye out for.

I've an old Carmen as well--I do prefer its sound to that of my Ariettas (although, it's just a 48-bass) -- I enjoy its large, wooden keys too. It's a little funky--seems a much older accordion than the Ariettas--but it does sound pretty cool--as you say, a milder tremolo...I'm pretty sure just two voice (no switches)

Generally speaking--the basses on my Ariettas (I believe they're both "M"s) are one of the difficulties: they're a little brash-sounding. My Carmen is a tad smoother, I think.

The Carmen name is a quite early Hohner model in full size 1930's maybe earlier. But they brought out a small Tango model in a 'lady' size in mid 50s - not common, but Nathen on here has (had?) one in pearl grey and mine is pearl white. Yours may be painted? These are celluloid. I'll find a pic in a min...

Heres mine.. looks big, but it isnt; 16lbs and 16 3/4 over the keys.

If youve got big fingers this could be tight between the black keys...

Attachments

• carmen111m.jpg
    carmen111m.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,603
Mine does look like it's from the 40s. It has 34 keys - 15.5" board, the white keys are .75" wide and 6" long. Unfortunately, it's the 12 X 4, 48 bass arrangement. Oh yes and they probly aren't wood keys now that I look--just feel like it with the size and all the travel (and the knocking click-clacking :p )

I checked and my other Arietta is a B

cat said:
Im in Western Montana USA.

Close enough, by western US standards, to eastern Washington, that I might suggest an accordion advertised on the Spokane area craigslist.org for your consideration. The seller says its a Scandalli Silvana II. I get a variety of accordions from a web search by that name. The most similar I looked at was a Silvana 111 video at Liberty Bellows; they say its 14 and 15 lbs and she goes on about how petite it is. Another video from Brazil sounds very good to me but looks different.

Thanks Donn. There was a pearl/white Silvana for sale just up the road from me last week--for $200. I was tempted to grab it--at least just because of the price--but abstained because I already have a large accordion. Truth be told, I probably would have grabbed it if it had only been black (or even red)...I mean, I could have used TWO large accordians, right :oops:

This looks utilitarian!

Attachments

• 01313_1emK1jFIgjt_600x450.jpg
    01313_1emK1jFIgjt_600x450.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 1,163
Well I found a small 32 bass Paolo. For much of the music I play on PA (East European dance tunes) a simple 2 octv is adequate. I'm looking forward to hearing how this little one sounds.

Attachments

• $_57.jpg
    $_57.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,087
Finally received my accordion yesterday - it spent a week in the sub-zero (fahrenheit) freeze that hit the upper-Midwest (USA) last week. It's as I hoped it would be - beautiful voice, pretty smooth action, and much more conducive to expression/dynamics than my ariettas (more like my large Crucianelli, but in miniature of course). The keys seem to be roughly the same size as my Hohners. I'm always impressed what a big sound little boxes will provide -

Congratulations on your new instrument Cat.
Hope it it a pleasure to play for many years.
I also hope that the sub-zero conditions didn't cause any problems.
Cold temperatures can promote the formation of condensation when the instrument is brought indoors.
Keep it in a dry atmosphere for a while I would suggest.

Thank you Glenn - I do find the limited range a bit problematic, as I'm unable to play some of my repertoire...but I'm accustomed to modifying arrangements to fit my button boxes, etc. I got this one for packing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back