• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

looking for lightweight 40 bass and 60 bass cba

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 48

Hi everybody,

I like to play lightweight chromatic button accordions for traveling and busking.
I usually play 40/48 bass, 60 bass or 96 bass, C-system chromatic button accordions.

I have a Maugein "Dauphin" 2 voice (tremolo 8+8'), 60 bass, and put it on a precision scale: 6,310 kg (including 300 gram shoulder straps)
My Hohner Starlet 40, 2 voice (tremolo 8+8'), 40 bass, piano accordion was also on the scale: 4,355 kg (including the original shoulder straps)

I found on the internet a Cooperfisa "Perla" 60 bass, 2 voice (tremolo 8+8') CBA: 4,9 kg. This information is on the Cooperfisa Website in Vercelli, Italy.
Does anyone know this type and is it really only 4,9 kilogram?

I am looking for You Tube video material of the Cooperfisa "Perla" CBA models.
Kind regards,
Stephen

The Weltmester Rubin 60 bass is very light with slightly narrower keys. I think its about 5kg which in English is just over 10 lbs. I had one that I used for my first year. I wish I had kept it. I bought it from Thomanns in Germany via their website. I also bought a Weltmeister 72 bass Achat from them which I still use. Thomanns are cheaper than buying in England with a three year gurantee and free postage both ways. Various colours are available, if they dont have the colour in stock, they would get the manufacture to make one for you, but you would have to wait for it.

The Pigini Skywalker 60 bass exact weight is still unclear:
Pigini official website says: 5,8 kg
http://www.pigini.com/en/standard-series/skywalker

This website says: Pigini Skywalker only 5 kg
http://www.music-electronics.be/nl/producten/accordeons/pigini/knoppenklavier/?id=1303

A difference of 800 grams for a total weight of 5 or 5,8 kg. Quite a difference for such a small instrument...

On the internet, one can find many times differences about the exact netto weight of accordions.
Especially Italian and Chinese companies rarely offer exact information about the netto weight (without case/bag) of the accordions.
Is this due to carelessness/negligence or a cunning technique, because the accordion constructors know very well there is a market for compact and lightweight accordions for buskers/children/... ?

Best advice is to put the accordions on a precision scale. I asked to use one at a local baker/ bakery shop.

Just check out different websites for identical models. You will find frequent differences up to 1,0 kg and even more.

Thank's for the information from Spain for the Pigini Skywalker about the weight.
So about 5,2 kg, let's say. That's a fine light weight.

This week I saw in a pub session a 1950's (?) Italian/French? (Fratelli Crosio ?) chromatic button accordion, 3 rows, 30 or 31 buttons, with about 35-38 standard basses (so called "Belgian basses", in line).
2 voice tremolo, great sound i, talked a little bit with the accordionist, found this accordion on an ebay like website, and said to be very attached to the sound and light weight of the instrument.

One can find easily light weight piano accordions (like the Hohner Starlet 40), but it is very hard to find 4 kg to 5,5 kg chromatic button accordions (C-system or B-system).
I prefer 2 voice tremolo melody side, combined with a 4 voice bass. For me this gives a beautiful balance in sound for busking.

I suppose the melody reed blocks in a Hohner Starlet 40 or a Hohner Student 40 are numbered 2 reed blocks (2 times 13 reed plates, giving 26 notes).
On a little 3 row chromatic button accordion we would need 3 reed blocks (10+11+10 reed plates). Are there 2 voice tremolo CBA's with all reed plates mounted on 2 reed blocks (in stead of 3 reed blocks)? For example: 15+15 reed plates, giving 30 notes, or 17+17, for a 34 notes CBA?

Saw the PIGINI IZAR / SKYWALKER yesterday at the spanish Pigini dealer.
Lots of rain and wind in this northern part of Spain.
This is a nice little accordion, surprisingly small, and light, easy to handle. And beautiful although this is subjective.
And a very brilliant sound. Really brilliant.
As a relative newbie I cannot say more, and as this is a fairly new model I could not find an online review to further refer to.
The price is fair I think.
When the funds will be available I will most probably purchase one.

More info: between Xmas and New Year I was in northern Europe and went to big accordion dealer to see and hear, other brands. I must say the sound of this little Pigini is different, in a positive way. Surprisingly different. YMMV.

Edit about price: How come there are such great differences in price?
1796 EUR in Spain - 1990 EUR in Belgium - 2200 GBP (= 2669 EUR) in UK

The price difference between countries is a mystery to me too.
Someone is either making lots of dosh or it's all about taxes. Probably both.
Maybe there is someone on the forum that deals in accordions professionally that is willing to give us the inside story.

It seems to me that Britain is more profit orentated than other countries. I wonder if its something to do with our governments austerity measures that makes us struggle a bit more causing us to count our pennies.

I suppose price differences between countries is due to different reasons:
- different taxation system, taxes
- depends on the location of production, transport cost, location of distribution and retail sales
- contract agreements between local dealer and the manufacturer

Thank's to the web and the net, we can compare.
But comparing price structures is a difficult topic.

If you want to, you can always try to order in a different country, and use an international package delivery company.
You'll help to converge prices, but... be careful not to accelerate the race to the bottom ...

After all, accordions are multi part instruments (up to 6.000 to 7.000 or more), so a cheap accordion, is a piece of junk.
If you want quality, there is a certain price to pay. We have to find a good balance price/quality.
If you buy a cheap accordion, you'll end up buying a better one, and finally you pay more.

A tip, buy a new good quality instrument. Or a good second hand. You'll have many years of pleasure and comfort of playing.

Thank you very much for that topic. It is very informative and useful for me. BTW. Hello to everyone I am new here and it is my first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back