• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Long-term piano accordionist newly learning CBA - experiences?

I've got that book!
Just checked my current on the go music bags. It's in the main one! I'd had it out recently to look up some other tunes. It's a nice arrangement, but not in a key I want to play. At the moment with the CBA I am very happy with the progress I'm making, but still not comfortable with more sharps and/or flats than necessary! But thanks @dak for the reminder!

Checking in to say I'm getting on well with Sous Le Ciel De Paris, a somewhat tricky arrangement I decided to learn to play for my Mum when I see her around her next birthday (for more details see previous post). Today was my second extended practice of it on my wee CBA box, delayed after catching Covid for the second time. And today, dosed up on painkillers - still aching! - it went remarkably well. I was able to play most of it through, at speed, and could even do the series of fast triplets in the opening verse, and all the 3-note right hand harmonies in the next main section. For Mum I plan to play the opening familiar section, then the next sequence of chord harmonies, before playing the first bit again.

I still have more sections to work on, and it all needs lots more practice yet. But I can build it up, and was hugely encouraged today. I'm not noting fingerings down on the sheet music, just finding my way around instinctively. And it's going amazingly good. Previously I was more comfortable in the lower octave I'd practiced in, but now I'm getting more and more comfortable in the upper one. And with sharps and flats, which I didn't play early on in my CBA learning. I am also frequently now playing the CBA without looking down at my right hand side, just focusing on the sheet music instead. I will upload a recording of the final version here, after Mum has been treated to her performance in person.

It's making me rethink my learning process though. I've now worked through all of Maugain book 1 ("Méthode d'accordéon" volume 1) and was planning to move on to volume 2 this year. I've had a quick peek at it, but it's not exciting me nearly as much as learning this new to me piece Sous Le Ciel De Paris has done. So I think I'm going to rejig my CBA learning, picking pieces for me to learn on it - probably mainly totally new to me ones that I don't know already on the PA, and also ones that are ambitious, but can be built up in stages. I can see a lot of French tunes potentially sneaking in there - well I have a French CBA after all, and adore musette music, and have sheet music for hundreds of those tunes in house. But I'd also like to try some tangos on it, eastern European music, maybe ABBA etc.

However I don't want to abandon Maugain completely, so will keep working through books 1 and 2, and hopefully ultimately 3. But I think my main focus now will be challenging myself with tunes that I really want to play on the box.

Incidentally I'm doing my own thing with the thumb as moving around. I find Monsieur Maugain's thumb crossing rather odd. Can't quite describe what I'm doing - I only know it as I play it, and I don't have the box out right now! So I'm going a bit off piste here, but very happily finding my way around the instrument, in a form that comes naturally to me.

Meanwhile I have Sous Le Ciel De Paris to polish. The very first tune I ever played on this French CBA, just after we'd taken it out of the shipping box. Goodness only knows in what key I was playing it by ear! But it is a tune I love to hear.

Reactions: Tom
Hi Vivdunstan,
On our similar learning journey, I've placed more emphasis on the Galliano book, and Palmer Hughes. I agree that Maugain #2 doesn't do much for me, but presents some new tunes and some ideas on fingering. I'm interested in your opinion on Maugain 3, if you get it.
I'm using the PH Recital books also, as I appreciate the similarly leveled progression of difficulty, though it's obvious in some pieces, that the authors didn't consider CBA.
On another note, I've recently purchased a Hohner Riviera CBA with 3 sets of reeds and 96 basses with two register switches from Ebay, which is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I've found that although I love the size and weight of my junior CBA, the high notes are way too high for my taste. The weight is supposed to be 18 lbs/ 8.2 kg which is still the weight of my smallest PA. I'm fortunate the seller allows 30 days for me to ponder my decision.

@LibraryJoe I've got the Maugain book 3 already in house. I'll dig it out sometime this week and have a proper look through it, alongside Galliano which I also have, and Maugain book 2. Will get back to you with impressions.

Enjoy your new box! Sounds like you have a good working arrangement with tunes to play etc. For me I wouldn't go above 6kg for a CBA now, given my illness. I am astonished how many notes it squeezes into that compact size.

And good tip re the PH recital books. I will have a look to check those out. But I'll probably carry on indulgently picking tunes I already have on hand and really really want to learn to play :)

Oh yes, the PH recital books are pretty typical PH fare.. public domain pieces, that may or may not be one's cup of tea. My favorite in Book 4 is a PH original "Gypsy Dance." Book 5 has a few decent ones , especially their arrangements of classical pieces, but my fav here is another original "Banderas." None of the books are "must haves", though the purchase of Deffner/Busso reprints are typically less money than used Ebay copies.
I forgot to compliment you on your continued progress despite some health setbacks. You're a much better musician than I am, as I need printed music in order to play, and my version of "Paris Skies" is definitely an early level piece from Meisner's French book.
Your continued progress inspires me.

Prompted by @LibraryJoe here are some quick thoughts about Manu Maugain's "Méthode d'accordéon" books 1-3, primarily from the perspective of a fairly experienced (intermediate/advanced) long-term piano accordionist newly learning the CBA. Also some thoughts on how the single Galliano PA/CBA tuition book compares to the 3 Maugain volumes. All the Maugain books teach core accordion skills, but as someone trying the switch the basic things about music theory and the left hand side are less useful, whereas the right hand development is more new and helpful. And just for clarity's sakes the Maugain books are all focused on the CBA completely, and not intended for PA learners.

Maugain Book 1 ("Débutants"): This assumes no prior knowledge of music theory or the accordion, and teaches basic music theory, different note lengths, bellows use and left hand side chord techniques. For the right hand side it starts with a very limited range of notes, with good repeated exercises, before moving to cover the whole lower C to middle C octave, then the octave below, and the octave above. Fingering guides are given especially earlier on. There are extremely good repeated exercises to develop right hand skills, including moving about up and down the octaves. Throughout the volume a series of increasing in difficulty tunes are given, allowing the growing techniques to be practiced. ISBN 9790230968584.

Maugain Book 2 ("Perfectionnement"): This continues the learning, again covering essential left and right hand skills, as well as more music theory. It is full of a set of increasingly difficult tunes, with more rapid note changes. As well as tunes later with e.g. fast triplet runs it has a section teaching playing two notes at a time on the right hand side, and later three notes together are covered. For the piano to CBA switcher this book is best worked through fairly quickly from start to end, and will probably not pose major challenges, with the key additions to the right side technique more limited here. There are also fewer core exercises that you would want to repeat, though the tunes that build up the techniques are full of content that will develop key skills. ISBN 9790230969970.

Maugain Book 3 ("Virtuosité"): This looks to take things to another level, with seriously advanced content! For the right hand side there are again excellent and increasingly ambitious exercises, alongside tunes to practice these on. In terms of playing multiple notes at a time the book takes you to up to five notes simultaneously on the right hand side, with initially at least CBA fingering helpfully indicated. It also develops musicality and extremely fast note transitions, with lots more great exercises and also tunes to practice this. By the end you should be able to play just about anything on the CBA. ISBN 9790230973885 (note this volume includes a CD).

By comparison Lucien and Richard Galliano have a "Complete Accordion Method" for both PA and CBA single volume book (ISBN 9781540034953 in English, also available in French). So in page count that's about 1/3 of the total length of the Maugain books (the Maugain books are each about 100 pages, and ditto the Galliano in English language version). Leaving aside the question of which course suits which type of player best - and that really is an individual decision to make - looking through the book I'd say that most of the Galliano book gets only a little way into the equivalent of volume 2 of Maugain. But then in the very last few pages of Galliano there are extremely concentrated exercises playing up to 4-note chord harmonies on the RH. But these lack the many pages of training exercises and tunes to develop these skills that Maugain book 3 has. So ultimately if you want to play tunes like that, get the Maugain 3.

At the moment I'm newly working through Maugain 2, but have already picked up multi-note harmony and fast triplet skills myself from my own arrangements that I want to play. So I expect to work fairly steadily through Maugain book 2 alongside learning other tunes myself. All going well I will continue onto Maugain 3. But that will be a much harder challenge. Maugain 1 took me about 6 months to get through, slowly, but I still regularly play its core exercises and some tunes.

I think for an experienced PA player going to CBA Maugain 1 is a great book to develop basic competence. Maugain 2 doesn't have as much new RH content, but has some excellent exercises and incrementally difficult tunes that are worth playing. But it's not as big a step up for the new learner as book 1 is. And book 3 is just on another level.

As for which is best I'd suggest getting both Maugain 1 and Galliano, and trying them out and seeing which works for you. I did this early on, and ended up sticking with the Maugain. It just suits me better. But you can also mix and match.

Last edited:
P.S. @LibraryJoe I thought I'd write up something about all 3 volumes, because it might be helpful for other folks here too! Thanks for the prompt :)
Thank you very much for the detailed critiques of the three Maugain books. You've encouraged me to purchase Book 3.

I found Book1 tedious as the practice pieces early on I found not fun to play. ( I can't really counter with Palmer Hughes' "Charlie the Chimp" or "Vegetables on Parade" either)

You are absolutely correct in noting Galliano' s later pieces present a particular challenge due to the lack of instruction or practice exercises. But these pieces are very musical and present a hard earned feeling of accomplishment when completed.

I agree that both methods can complement each other, with Maugain's pacing and selections more able to sequentially instruct. I will continue my way through Book 2, with the encouraging feeling that I'm not alone on this journey.

Thanks again. Joe

Thank you very much for the detailed critiques of the three Maugain books. You've encouraged me to purchase Book 3.
Happy to help, and hope you find book 3 useful in due course. I'm really excited about it, but have quite a way to go!

And thank you again for the prompt to look at the books comparatively like this. I found it really helpful to me too, to look at relative strengths and weaknesses. And it's going to help guide my continued CBA learning too.

Checking in to say I've today added another Maugain book to my CBA tuition book collection. It's his book of Exercices Techniques Gammes et Arpèges (ISBN 9790230969697) which is a large format spiral bound 80 page book of core exercises, building up techniques in a progressive manner. No tunes interspersed with the exercises this time, though there is variety in the exercises, which are far more than just scales and arpeggios.

The book covers the full range of right hand techniques his 3-volume tuition books with tunes mixed with exercises do, but does so in a much more compact format. For example 2-note right hand harmonies start on just page 18 of this exercises book. Later on the same book moves to cover the very advanced right hand things in his book 3, including runs of many finger chords, and also incredibly fast runs of notes. Suggested fingering is given throughout this book.

I've really enjoyed working through Maugain Méthode book 1 in particular, appreciating the gradual build up of skills for the beginner CBA player, using a mix of exercises and graded tunes. But as I move into Méthode book 2 I'm now finding myself at the stage where I want to focus primarily on repeated core exercises for technique, alongside playing my preferred tunes for fun and creativity. The latter are already taking me far beyond where I'd got to so far in Maugain.

Here is what the cover of the Maugain exercises book looks like. I will report back in a month or two re how I'm getting on. But this is going straight into my CBA accordion bag's music pocket, for regular use.

maugain-exercises.jpg

Hi Viv,
My wife and I were out of the country and I didn't want to order Maugain 3 until our return. (It's available via Amazon and a music shop in Philadelphia, PA) I have just ordered it.
Galliano really doesn't provide enough practice to succeed with the late pieces, though I'm struggling through them--currently at Valse Musette, 1st part. I will search out the techniques book you've mentioned above.
I've found that Maugain does a good job of presenting a progressive sequence of instruction. I think I will really enjoy Book 3
Hope you are doing well. I will private message shortly.
Joe

I‘m very tempted to get an extremely compact 4-row C CBA - I have my eyes on one particular model. But I’m curious to hear from other experienced piano accordionists re how you found picking up the fingering. Was it a challenge? Did it take an awful lot of practice? How are you getting on? Are you happy you tried it or do you regret it? Any tips re things to do or avoid?
I am trying. I have an old bayan that works for practice.

It is fun, satisfying when it work. It is all about practice and knowing the right fingering.

I use B system, so most of my resources are in Russian (which I know how to read).

It is a challenge, but like everything, all it takes is practices and proper technique.

The only thing that it is discouraging to me is that it is somehow difficult to get spare parts and the high price by itself of buttons accordions in North America.

Just practice your scales, arpeggios, chords (don't skip proper technique on this), don't look at the buttons panel (mental map), and you can improve. One thing is that I am not sure if traditional piano exercises are going to be effective on button accordions, so check on that.

It is fun, satisfying when it work.
Thank you for the reply! Yes I'm loving it too :) And also very unexpectedly the different right hand movements (different from the piano accordion system I've played for nearly 50 years) seem to be helping me recover lost right hand control due to my progressive neurological disease and strokes. Massive win win! And yes, I adore the CBA system.

Best of luck with your journey too!

Here's a tiny portion of the French musette tune I'm learning on my French chromatic button accordion at the moment. A type of accordion I have only been learning to play since June (I've played piano accordion since the mid 1970s). I am going to be playing the full tune for my Mum at her birthday.

This tune is a huge workout for me, after getting to the end of Maugain book 1. It has runs of multi-note chords on the right side, as well as very fast triplets in places. I am tackling it with enthusiasm!

Played on this box:
maugein.jpg

Here's a tiny portion of the French musette tune I'm learning on my French chromatic button accordion at the moment. A type of accordion I have only been learning to play since June (I've played piano accordion since the mid 1970s). I am going to be playing the full tune for my Mum at her birthday.

This tune is a huge workout for me, after getting to the end of Maugain book 1. It has runs of multi-note chords on the right side, as well as very fast triplets in places. I am tackling it with enthusiasm!

Played on this box:
maugein.jpg
That's one pretty box. I have an older cousin here, more notes and basses, fewer rows:

maugein-h.jpg

Good luck! That’s a beautiful red accordion!

Checking in to say I've today added another Maugain book to my CBA tuition book collection. It's his book of Exercices Techniques Gammes et Arpèges (ISBN 9790230969697) which is a large format spiral bound 80 page book of core exercises, building up techniques in a progressive manner. No tunes interspersed with the exercises this time, though there is variety in the exercises, which are far more than just scales and arpeggios.

The book covers the full range of right hand techniques his 3-volume tuition books with tunes mixed with exercises do, but does so in a much more compact format. For example 2-note right hand harmonies start on just page 18 of this exercises book. Later on the same book moves to cover the very advanced right hand things in his book 3, including runs of many finger chords, and also incredibly fast runs of notes. Suggested fingering is given throughout this book.

I've really enjoyed working through Maugain Méthode book 1 in particular, appreciating the gradual build up of skills for the beginner CBA player, using a mix of exercises and graded tunes. But as I move into Méthode book 2 I'm now finding myself at the stage where I want to focus primarily on repeated core exercises for technique, alongside playing my preferred tunes for fun and creativity. The latter are already taking me far beyond where I'd got to so far in Maugain.

Here is what the cover of the Maugain exercises book looks like. I will report back in a month or two re how I'm getting on. But this is going straight into my CBA accordion bag's music pocket, for regular use.

maugain-exercises.jpg
Hi.
Would it be possible to scan two or three pages, so I could see, how do excercises look like?
I'd hate to buy it and realise that it doesn't agree with me. It's 25 € after all ...

Hi.
Would it be possible to scan two or three pages, so I could see, how do excercises look like?
I'd hate to buy it and realise that it doesn't agree with me. It's 25 € after all ...
C system would be correct for you? I see your location listed as Slovenia and that might mean more prevalence of B system I think?

Back