• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Leaking bellows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Ben_H

My Concerto has has developed a small leak in the bellows. It's not major, but is notceable when the box is left closed and flat on a table it will take in air and when I pause whilst playing and "relax", gravity starts to open the bellows with no notes open.

I had it serviced a little while ago and the bellows seemed fine when it came back.

Any suggestions over what to look for or tips on finding the leak? I have a "funny" image of putting it in a bucket of water like a bike inner tube :D

Cheers

Ben

It could be the bellows, put your face up close all around it while you are pushing in and see if you sense air coming out where the bellows meet the body. If so you can replace the gasket between the bellows and body. I use window air leak gasket, you are supposed to use official accordion gasket but I have never gotten around to buying it. Please be aware that the air leakage could be from another source like weak or loose fitting or wrong size reed leather or misfitting air release valve or rotten felt on the piece that opens attached to the keys or a veritable multitude of other strange and wonderful connections. Only JimD knows for sure. Good luck..... Tom

Tom is quite correct, not only bad bellows gasket but also loose reed blocks, worn pads, worn out bellows corners and cracks in the accordion body will cause loss of compression. This may sound silly but many repairmen such as myself for some years now have used a simple method to detect leaks. As you may know the skin on the top of your hands and the skin between your upper lip and nose are very tender and can easily detect air movement and heat and cold temp's. To search for air leaks I wet my upper lip - open the bellows - force them closed - and nose around for leaks. JIM D.

I'd like to see that Jim.
Do you have a Youtube demo? ;)

JIM D. said:
To search for air leaks I wet my upper lip - open the bellows - force them closed - and nose around for leaks. JIM D.
I had a dog that used to do that... had to have him put down after an incident with an elderly lady in the street ..

Well I can can see there are some skeptics on this nosey method. If you would like to see this done then twenty one minutes into this video -- -- you will observe an accordion tech using the method I speak of to detect leaks. JIM D.

The only problem with the nose method, if not careful, is getting your nose or your lip pinched in the bellows.

JIM D. said:
Well I can can see there are some skeptics on this nosey method. If you would like to see this done then twenty one minutes into this video -- -- you will observe an accordion tech using the method I speak of to detect leaks. JIM D.

Sceptical? No. Didnt mean to offend Jim - just sharing a giggle cos the wet upper lip & nosing around conjures up a funny vision... like a blood hound.
If you say its effective, I believe it. I know ones cheek is sensitive to drafts.

On the bellows leaking.
I am refurbishing an accordion. The bellows cloths, covering the bellows, is ripped and extremely messy. I am considering to rip it off and put new cloths and tape over. Anyone ever done that? I also will check corners, but they seem good. Just wondering if this project is worth my time?
Erica. {}

Replacing bellows tape is not difficult if you prepare properly and take care. Go to -http://www.accordionrevival.com/Home.php

JIM D. said:
Replacing bellows tape is not difficult if you prepare properly and take care. Go to -http://www.accordionrevival.com/Home.php

and put new cloths and tape
I dont think she(?) is talking about just tape Jim, but the info could be useful anyhow. Her bellows sound like cloth covered card.
Ive never stripped a bellows to that extent, but if it comes off like tape it shouldnt be a problem... but I doubt it will when stuck directly to the cardboard.

Thanks Jim. It looks easy.
Have you ever tried to replace the cloth over the bellows and then the bellows tape? I guess there is a first for everything. I will try to do this. I'll let you know how that is going to turn out. I have no idea, but it looks like a nice project.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll watch the vid over the weekend and then moisten the lip

Hi to you all.
Fixing bellows is an artists job I think. I stripped everything off, metal corners, which some were cracked anyhow. I stripped the cloths cover from the cardboard. It came off, as easy as the tape, and now I have the bare cardboard with diamond shaped leather corners, which seem still in good shape, no holes. I selected the material for the bellows covers, a nice dark beige, and the tape either red or black. Not quite decided on it yet.
As I keep going I will update how it turns out. I am enjoying repairing this one. My husband shakes his head, "will that thing ever play again?" I say of course and it will and be beautiful too.

Back to my practices. I just love the accordions.
Erica

The gasket is usually the problem, but listening for are leaks at the grill and bass panels can be helpful. I use a stethoscope with the disc removed and replaced with a 1/8 inch tube. Running this along where you suspect can pinpoint a leak. You will hear a WHOOSH as you pass over the leak. This is helpful when doing the keyboard , as you can run the tip along between the pads and you can pinpoint the leak. It can help if you have someone squeeze the accordion for you while you do this.

Thanks for the instruction on using the stethoscope.
I have one but could not figure out how best to use it to really listen for the escaping air.
Using a tube instead of its head, I will do that from now on. I am still restoring the bellows, and need to find the holes and escaping air, etc.
Thanks, you all are so inspiring, and I learn something new all the time.

Smoke is available for detecting leaks around windows and doors etc. Pump a little in the air release on the bass side and observe when you push. It is supposed to be harmless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back