• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Last interview with Pierre Monichon, French expert

• Thread starter Deleted member 48
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 48

Very interesting YT video, historic document.
An interview with Pierre Monichon, accordion history expert.

LHarmonéon de mr Monichon

Its fantastic this video is online. Hes showing some rare instruments from his private collection.
Starting 400 a very early harmonica... a totally different design from our 10 hole richter harmonicas.

Starting 500 one of the very first accordions...

Superb collection of free reed instruments.

Thats the best accordion history video Ive ever seen, and I dont speak French so I missed most of the details! Amazing to see his collection and hear some of the instruments. Thank you for pointing it out to us!

The mouth-blown instrument at about 4:00 looks like a very nice æolina. Ive never seen one in person, so cool.
Pat Missin has details about them on his fabulous harmonica (and other free-reed) site:

http://www.patmissin.com/history/aeolina.html
http://www.patmissin.com/history/aeolians.jpg>aeolians.jpg

Maybe someone in France has more video with Pierre Monichon? Let's hope so.

I love the Patmissin pages on free reeds. Especially his page on harmonica patents.

Monichon is showing a 3 chord aeolina.
The Demian type accordion he demonstrates is based on chord aeolinas with bellows attached.

Monichon says Cyrill Demian changed the name of his invention from Aoline to Akkordion in the Vienna patent office.
Because the word Aoline was chosen and patented by Bernhard Eschenbach.

Id seen the Demian patent with the name crossed out and Accordion added. Didnt know the story of why he changed it. Funny. There used to be a very nice write-up about the patent on the Classical Free-Reed site. Its archived here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20091221103959/http://www.ksanti.net:80/free-reed/history/demian.html
demian4.jpg

I understood that the Austrian archive that has the original document made them take it offline because they own it. Never sure how I feel about hoarding archives like that.

Im still very curious to know more about Demian. Does anyone have more of his story?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Bruce for the link to the Demian accordion patent documents.

Little is known about the life and works of Cyrill Demian, organ and keyboard maker in Vienna.
We are not sure about his first name: Cyrill, Cyrillus, Zyrill, ...

The Dutch website www.harmoniumnet.nl has good info and pictures on early free reed organs, harmoniums, aeolinas,...

There is a detailed description of the circa 1814-1816 Aeolina by Bernhard Eschenbach.

One of the best sources for early reed organs.

Perhaps old Austrian encyclopedias of Viennese organ makers have more information on Cyrill Demian... Maybe he was a minor figure in the organ industry, we dont know.

I would love to find a portrait of him.
Eg there are 2 known for Christian Friedrich Ludwig Buschmann, a painting and a photo.

No pics yet for Demian. Best places to look for are pencil drawings in early encyclopedias.

Yes! Ive wanted a picture of Demian for years. No luck that I know of. I remember rumors that he wasnt Austrian. Maybe Hungarian? Ethnic background? I dont know.

That Harmonium site is great!
I want to read the book theyre talking about. Maybe I can trade mine once theyre both available. :)
http://www.harmoniumnet.nl

The Austrian online Musiklexicon website has some information on Cyrill Demian and his sons.
It says C. Demian arrived in Vienna in 1805.

Quote :

Demian (Damian, Dämian, Dimian), Familie
Klavier- und Orgelmacher, Erfinder des Akkordeons (Harmonika-Instrumente)
Cyrill: * 1774 Silwasch/Siebenbürgen (Silvaș, Satu Mare?/RO, nicht eindeutig identifizierbar), † 1.11.1847 Wien. 1805 reichte er in Wien um ein Privileg oder Meisterrecht ein und erhielt 1810 eine unbeschränkte Befugnis als Klaviermacher. C. D. dürfte zu seiner Zeit einen guten Ruf besessen haben, zählt ihn doch Stephan Edler von Keeß zu den besten Herstellern von Tafelklavieren. Heute ist er als Erfinder des Akkordeons ein Begriff. Die Verleihung des Patentes, zunächst „für die Dauer von zwey Jahren auf die Erfindung eines neuen Instrumentes ‚Accordion‘ genannt, welches die Form eines kleinen Kästchens hat, worin Federn auf Stahlplatten sammt einem Blasebalg angebracht sind, und zwar dergestalt, daß es bequem eingesteckt werden kann, daher Reisenden insbesondere erwünscht seyn muß (Wr. Ztg. 10.7.1829), erfolgte am 23. Mai 1829 für ihn und seine beiden Söhne und wurde am 28.1.1831 um weitere drei Jahre verlängert. Ursprünglich nur aus sechs Tasten bestehend, wurde das Akkordeon bald auf zehn Tasten erweitert, später kamen noch Halbtöne sowie sechs bis zehn Basstöne für die linke Hand hinzu. Bald wurde es so populär, „daß man allenthalben, besonders in den Abendstunden, die accordähnlichen Töne auf den Straßen und Promenaden vernehmen kann. (Wr. Theater-Ztg. 11.10.1834). D. modifizierte auch die Physharmonika. Seine Söhne

Karl Mathias (* 6.7.1807 Wien, † 31.12.1869 Wien) und Guido (* 24.11.1811 Wien, † 20.1.1848 Wien) waren ebenfalls auf musikalischem Gebiet tätig (Karl als Klavierlehrer und Klavierstimmer), wobei aber unklar ist, ob sie selbst Instrumente herstellten. Guido starb als Vize-Feldwebel beim IR Nr. 4 (Hoch- und Deutschmeister).

LITERATUR
MGG 2 (1996), 189; H. Haupt in StMw 24 (1960), 131; Hopfner 1999; Ottner 1977; St. Edler v. Keeß (Hg.), Darstellung des Fabriks- und Gewerbswesens im österreichischen Kaiserstaate vorzüglich in technischer Beziehung 1823; Wr. Ztg. 10.7.1829, 155; 28.2.1831, 7; 8.1.1870, 11; Wr. Theater-Ztg. 11.10.1834, 314; 20.6.1836, 492; 28.1.1848, 3; WStLA, Konskriptionsbogen Mariahilf (Wien VI) 45, 1830; WStLA, TBP 1847; Trauungsbuch der Pfarre Mariahilf Tom. III (1805–11), fol. 40; Taufbuch der Pfarre Mariahilf Tom. III (1801–07), fol. 335.

AUTOR(EN)
Rudolf Hopfner
Monika Kornberger

►GND
Demian Cyrill
Weiterführende Literatur (OBVSG)
►GND
Demian Karl Mathias
►GND
Demian Guido

►ORTE
Orte
►LINKS
Institut für kunst- und musikhistorische Forschungen

Publikationen zur Musikforschung im Verlag
EMPFOHLENE ZITIERWEISE
Rudolf Hopfner/Monika Kornberger, Art. „Demian (Damian, Dämian, Dimian), Familie‟, in: Oesterreichisches Musiklexikon online, Zugriff: 8.12.2018 (https://www.musiklexikon.ac.at/ml/musik_D/Demian_Familie.xml).

[Letzte inhaltliche Änderung: 22/06/2015]
Das oeml ist...
...das grundlegende Nachschlagewerk zu Musik und Musikleben in Österreich in all seinen Facetten und richtet sich an die wissenschaftliche Fachwelt ebenso wie an interessierte Laien.
Über das oeml
Das Projekt
Partner
Kontakt
Impressum/Datenschutz
Quicklinks
Aktuelles/Home
Abkürzungen
Literaturverzeichnis
Autoren

Status
Not open for further replies.