• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Keyboard placement under chin

breezybellows

Reaction score
I've been trying for a while to get my keyboard directly under my chin. I've adjusted my right strap super long but the moment I put by back strap on, the Accordion gets slightly tilted and the top end of the keyboard (physical top) gets pulled slightly towards my right shoulder. I should also note that I didn't feel any awkwardness with my right wrist. But still, I've wanted to do it the right way.

I've been observing a lot of advanced players to see how the are doing wrt this alignment. I noticed that quite a few players have it exactly the way I currently have it. Mathias Matzke is one of my favorite accordion players (check him out of you already haven't, he's fantastic). I just found his fit to be identical to my own. I also feel that the slight tilt distributes the weight evenly while opening the bellows.

Both these players cannot reach the lower notes (closer to the chin) without bending their wrist and tucking in their elbow or moving their keyboard. While Ksenija is playing the keyboard (top) moves to her left (right in the picture) while pulling and goes back to her right while pushing, which implies the treble side is a bit loose in its straps. While pulling she can reach the chin switches because they are further over to the left than on many accordions where they are in a single row extending almost to the edge of the keyboard. Matthias keeps the keyboard a bit further to the left than Ksenija. His chin switches are behind the keyboard (that's the newer Gola design) and do go a bit further to the right than on the Pigini. His position is more stable than that of Ksenija. What's important to note is whether they have the arm stretched out and the wrist not an an angle to the arm. Both seem to achieve this to a sufficient degree and that indicates there keyboard is far enough to their left (although I feel it could be a bit further still). The position of arm and hand is much more important than where your chin ends up.
The position of these players is also determined partly by the keyboard being so long it has to go a bit between their legs (making it harder to reach the highest notes). for CBA players it's easier to keep the keyboard mostly vertical while playing, and to reach the highest notes.

I think its about the body shape and accordion size adjustment. Many people struggle up to a point, to adjust the best position to be comfortable. I guess many of these high end players are not practicing accordion only. Including high quality amateurs, they work on piano or keyboards too. Most of them are pianists, passed to accordion to find a better place for themselves. Professional piano is much more harder than accordion, so they are very comfortable this way or that way. They are well educated, trained and ready in every way, thisway these performances looks like incredible even to us. You may surprise, this is not about talent. Its about talent crafted in years with education and dedication. I give the example of a Ferrari or a Porsche. Your average car is made in 5 hours in an automated factory while a Ferrari is made in 6 months almost handmade with every best part possible. Thats the difference we are observing here.

I guess many of these high end players are not practicing accordion only. Including high quality amateurs, they work on piano or keyboards too. Most of them are pianists, passed to accordion to find a better place for themselves.
That isn't the case for the examples I posted. Most of the very fine accordion players are primarily accordion players.

Professional piano is much more harder than accordion, so they are very comfortable this way or that way.
Not sure what you're basing this statement off of. I don't think accordion is any easier than piano. They are two different instruments that have different challenges.

That isn't the case for the examples I posted. Most of the very fine accordion players are primarily accordion players.

Not sure what you're basing this statement off of. I don't think accordion is any easier than piano. They are two different instruments that have different challenges.
I m basing these statements according to my 30 years experience on music and graduation from conservatory ;)

I m basing these statements according to my 30 years experience on music and graduation from conservatory ;)
Unless you trained to be a concert pianist and and a concert accordionist of equal proficiency, I don't think that experience adds any credibility to the statement.

Unless you trained to be a concert pianist and and a concert accordionist of equal proficiency, I don't think that experience adds any credibility to the statement.
I think with the social media, some generations give too much importance to opinions. There are opinions and facts. Opinions are about equal circumstances, they dont matter much, may only give idea to people. You can think what you like. Getting somewhere needs to adjust to the facts.

I think with the social media, some generations give too much importance to opinions. There are opinions and facts. Opinions are about equal circumstances, they dont matter much, may only give idea to people. You can think what you like. Getting somewhere needs to adjust to the facts.
What you started was definitely an opinion and an incorrect one at that.

An accordion is a complex instrument that can produce a very wide range of articulations and dynamics. A free bass accordion uses one less finger than a piano and plays melodic lines with the left hand while also manipulating the bellows. If you think that it's easier than a piano, you need to research more on accordions.

My post was a very specific question about keyboard positioning. Your response did not offer any useful suggestions other than make outlandish claims. I don't wish to continue this irrelevant discussion.

Last edited:
What you started was definitely an opinion and an incorrect one at that.

An accordion is a complex instrument that can produce a very wide range of articulations and dynamics. A free bass accordion uses one less finger than a piano and plays melodic lines with the left hand while also manipulating the bellows. If you think that it's easier than a piano, I need to research more on accordions.

My post was a very specific question about keyboard positioning. Your response did not offer any useful suggestions other than make outlandish claims. I didn't wish to continue this irrelevant discussion.
I just write something there... Professional Piano is gazillion times harder than accordion.

Last edited:
Back