• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Jupiter convertor problem... Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sebastian Bravo

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I want to make this post to describe a problem i found in the Jupiter Bayan. The convertor lever gets stuck if it's pressed with light force.
My friend bought this Bayan second hand weeks ago (2017 new instrument used by a Russian. Now it's in Chile) it's a Jupiter, LMMH with 15 (5 chin) registers and 58 notes on the free bass. When he pressed the lever, it got stuck in the middle, some buttons got converted to freebass and others remained stradella...

I disassembled the machine, and found that the lever had a little fretwork to work as a stop in the end of the movement (2nd video in the Instagram post) All i had to do, was to remove an extra 3mm of fretwork, to have more room in the lever movement. I also polished the mechanics to avoid sticking problems. Now it works flawlessly

I hope this little guide is helpful to someone who's having problem with the convertor machine :)

Last edited:
You do realize there are two completely different factories using the name Jupiter now...
The one where what looks like a letter O (first letter of Jupiter in Cyrillic) that is completely open is liked the most.
The one shown here, with a "star" inside that O is suspected/reported to be made (completely or partly) in North Korea and has a sharper sound, not liked as much.
The technical design of both is identical but the materials are different, and that may cause the difficulties encountered.

that's a really good information Paul.
Are these North Korean made Jupiters cheaper? the sound is sharp, really sharp.
(he paid $6800 USD for it)

that's a really good information Paul.
Are these North Korean made Jupiters cheaper? the sound is sharp, really sharp.
(he paid $6800 USD for it)
I don't know what the prices are. I do agree the sound of these Korean (if that is true) Jupiters is sharp, too sharp for my taste. I prefer the other Jupiter (with the open O), and I like the AKKO bayan even more.

i am curious, when did the Jupiter brand originate for Accordions/Bayans ?

Jupiter is also a very large Musical Instrument company that originated in Taiwan
maybe 40 - 50 years ago, and began mostly with Wind and Brass Student Instruments,
then quickly expanded into Percussion

my heart went to the AKKO sound when i watched this video months ago:

For me it started years ago with this video:
I tried to see if I could ever play this, but found that it is virtually impossible to play this using C system. Maybe my hands are too small... but I don't think so.

i am curious, when did the Jupiter brand originate for Accordions/Bayans ?

Jupiter is also a very large Musical Instrument company that originated in Taiwan
maybe 40 - 50 years ago, and began mostly with Wind and Brass Student Instruments,
then quickly expanded into Percussion
Jupiter for bayans started early in the Soviet era in or near Moscow. The design ot the Jupiter bayan was used by many to build bayans. As a result, whether you have an old Jupiter, Mir, Zonta... they are all essentially the same, but they may sound differently because of the use of different woods, reeds (often hand-made by very skilled artisans)... The sharp sound of the North Korean Jupiter is a result from the materials that are used, especially the reeds. Their steel is different.

thanks for the info

i ended up with one of the MECHTA bayans from (i think) Tula

of course this one is ancient ! Sputnik era many things in the Soviet Union
were tagged "Mechta" (dream) reflecting the enormous uplift in spirit
that the "race into space" achievements and rivalry with the USA inspired
(so i read when i researched it)

it has stradella left hand, and is completely different mechanically
from an Italian bass

and only 3 rows of buttons on the Treble, which my old Polish friend
told me was because so many Soldiers returned from WW2 with only
2 or 3 fingers, which i guess was a popular "dark humour" joke
of the era