• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Julie London I sure Ain't.....Cry Me A River...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You make the accordion look cool, how are you doing that?

Great sound!

There's a nice workaround(s) for the first 2 bars, which keep the bass root and the moving 5th if you'd like it.

BobM.

Please Bob...I'm on this forum to glean any help and education i possibly can...all suggestions welcome...my mind is open and i can only grow if fed criticism, thankyou for you offer...
Also thanks Quaver Rest... the accordion is indeed a 'cool' machine.... pick songs that strike a passion in your heart and fools may be convinced you can play ;)

The standard way of playing this tune is playing a Cmin for 2 bars but with a rising 5th, i.e. the 5th of the chord rising up to the b7th, but staying on the C bass.

You can get the first 3 semitones (effect) by playing a Cmin, Fmin/C, F7/C, and a Fmin/C to complete the 2 bars. If you're feeling brave, for the last chord you can use the better sounding Cmin7th, by playing the C bass and reaching over to an EbMaj chord, before moving onto the Fmin in bar 3. A bit risky for a small gain though.. :)

BobM.

Cheers Bob, great piece of advice that has somehow changed the whole feel of the piece

losthobos said:
Cheers Bob, great piece of advice that has somehow changed the whole feel of the piece

That trick can make a also nice intro or coda. Its also possible to tuck a Dominant bass note (semiquaver) in-between those chord changes if you go for a slow 8 feel.

BobM.

losthobos said:

That trick can make a also nice intro or coda. Its also possible to tuck a Dominant bass note (semiquaver) in-between those chord changes if you go for a slow 8 feel.

BobM.[/quote]

losthobos said:

BobM.[/quote][/quote]

Not sure if this is a question or not, but I think that some of these really slow songs work better on a box at the earlier stages of learning if theyre played as a slow pop ballad, i.e. a straight 8 feel. CMAR is a good song to get to grips with in using the 7b5 chord which occur a lot in these minor torch songs. And because it has a few long notes here and there, its easier the create a little interest with some LH movement.

BobM.

sorry Bob, PC seems to have eaten my question somewhere in the ether...? was
do you mean play a bar as

|Cmin, G bass, Fmin/C, G bass|etc with the chord being 3 beats and the Dominant bass being used as a 1 beat pulse/push into the next chord (semiquaver) sorry i don't always grasp terminologies.... (or computers for that matter)

losthobos said:
sorry Bob, PC seems to have eaten my question somewhere in the ether...? was
do you mean play a bar as

|Cmin, G bass, Fmin/C, G bass|etc with the chord being 3 beats and the Dominant bass being used as a 1 beat pulse/push into the next chord (semiquaver) sorry i dont always grasp terminologies.... (or computers for that matter)

The C bass note can have a crochet or semiquaver G leading up to it, think 70s pop ballad. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back