• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Hello from East London, UK

Paŭlo

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've been lurking for while so figured I should say something!

I spent a lot of time listening to this (almost cult status) YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/howardpianoind - so much so that some of these videos are almost like ASMR to me now

However, I think I have accepted that I'm never going to have the space to hobby piano-tech, so I've started restoring an old accordion instead. Doing a job in IT means I need something completely different for downtime, something that doesn't involve always looking at a screen! Ironic then that I've spent some considerable time on this forum since discovering it...

The first box is an old 1930s Alvari (or maybe it's a knockoff), bought from a charity/thrift shop, just something to butcher guilt free while I learn some disassembly strategies. Visually, it's obvious that the reed leathers look very different to the ideal - lots of curling!

One thing that did surprise me - the chords in the bass side are actually chords, as in, three notes together in a single reed plate. Is this common? I'm guessing it's done to make the mechanism much simpler, at the expense of having 18 instead of 10 reeds to tune!

Attachments

• IMG_3880.jpg
    IMG_3880.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Welcome Paulo !🙂
(Sorry, I couldn't find the inverted circumflex over the "u" you use in your name in my font)
You'll certainly find a hobby to fill your spare time if you take up accordion restoration! 🙂
I know a merchant seaman who took up handcrafting octagonal concertina bellows from leather and, by degrees, moved to constructing complete melodeons, which he turned into a full time business, having given up seafaring.🙂

Last edited:
Welcome Paulo. Reconstruction of old accordions is not easy and will surely keep you busy and your brain and fingers active whilst you have down-time from your day job. I fear however as you collect old instruments you will still need a lot of space as you survey your umpteenth half finished repair waiting for suitable parts.
Have you ever considered watch repair?

Thank you all

I fear however as you collect old instruments you will still need a lot of space as you survey your umpteenth half finished repair waiting for suitable parts.

Prescient this morning, since I *may* have just ordered a second accordion...

Back