• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Jitterbug Waltz / la vie en rose...

Status
Not open for further replies.

losthobos

Prolific poster
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Sweet little ditty originally played by Fats Waller in 1929 on a church organ...used to test my new box running all reeds.LMM (L in casotto)

Well done (again)! Only other time I heard this being played was by Django Rheinhardt and Stephane Grappelli, who drowned Django out for most of the track.

Sounds really great on that Piermaria. One or two "SEM" branded digital Piermarias are on the go here in Scotland, but they are on the pricey side.

That's a great sounding box, and all the voices complement each other. I don't think I could get that type of sound from my Maugein, which sounds a bit more rustic.

If I were starting out again Piermaria would be my number one choice of make, as some of the best French musette sounds I've heard were played on Piermarias.

They had/have a factory in Rue Charenton in Paris, but I think it was more of an assembly and repair workshop with a large number of parts imported from Castelfidardo.

Louis Corchia, who played almost exclusively on Piermarias, composed a jazzy type valse musette entitled "Rue Charenton", in tribute to Piermaria.

Keep these coming Terry. I think that new accordion is making a big difference. It seems to suit your style better than the Brandoni.

Well, I was kind of wondering why you would have wanted to move from your last accordion to a Piermaria. Let's say I now know why... what a lovely sound, so rich, and what a beautiful design!

I can see your playing making small leaps and bounds, but you are not going to get any credit for it. If I had such a wonderful warm place to play, I would be there all day long, so credit goes to your wood stove... just kidding! :lol:

Good job, please keep it up!

Yes, I like that a lot. Unusual composition, I wonder if Thelonious Monk had a copy. The sound of the accordion is beautiful and the left and right hand sounds blend in amazingly well, perfect for your harmonies. Loads of nice things about the performance, from picking this music in the first place, to the right hand harmonies, to the gentle swing and little shifts in the rhythm around 0'30", to the perfect ending.

I used to play this tune on PA but found it much more difficult on CBA; gave up. Good for you sticking with it! Lovely instrument

Thankyou for listening people
This box is truly lovely...where playing the Brandoni felt like I was conducting an orchestra playing the Piermaria feel like i'm dancing with a beautiful woman...
Maugien I think the sound we're hearing may be due to the nailed in reeds..i've an older Piermaria that's similar and had a very old Ranco Guglielmo once that had similar breath but an awful mechanical action...I traded that for the Brandoni but though the tone was awesome I could never really fall in love it...
Jerry don't worry...I love staying in by the fire...another friend had teased me for taking to roasting chestnuts rather than playing them
Matt..it is a lovely tune for sure..thanks for appreciating...
Dan...funny piece really...Looks easy descending fifths but somehow manage to turn itself into a tongue twister....another lovely waltz I struggle with in the same way is Mido's theme/the last waltz from the Korean movie Old Boy....should b simple but somehow throws you into a heady spin..
Happy New Year everyone...Stay healthy

I think you've done your best job yet with La Vie en Rose, and I like it the best too. If I could add a minor suggestion, your music at times sounds a little too slurred, try to keep a bit of crispness in between the phrases just to help accentuate the melody.

Really coming along and you have another piece for your musical repertoire!

Cheers Jerry and your tip hasn't gone unnoticed
Someone told me once the difference between playing piano and accordion was with th piano you concentrate on pressing the note down...with the accordion you need to concentrate on releasing the note...
I struggle to achieve this smoothly hence my sloppy slurred speech...

Terry,

You're coming on in leaps and bounds there. I think the person who offered you advice was referring to the piano has no bellows, whereas those accordion notes are going to go on forever as long as the bellows are moving with the keys depressed.

Most of us are so happy when we hit the right notes that we don't want to let go! I'm much the same as you in that respect, but remember that guys like Johnny Meijer could hardly play a tune without slurring it all together. It was just the way he played.

We want more!

Johnny Meijer slurred his whole life...now that's style....

Jerry,

Unfortunately the opening shot is typical. Hard drinking was his downfall. He drank his way out of career opportunities, friendships, and most other things in life. His only trusted companion in later life was his dog.

A local couple sort of took him under their wing and the guy, a plumber by day, used to drive Johnny to venues and accompany him on bass at night. His bass playing was pretty dire and Johnny used to call out the chord progressions to him in a very derogatory manner. One "fan" asked Johnny why such a great accordionist put up with a poor bass player. Johnny's answer was "Yes, he's crap, but he has a car!". That's how bad things were, and it was sad that he ended up the way he did.

His old Accordiola is still doing the rounds somewhere, treble buttons all out of alignment, missing bass buttons, cigar ash burns, the lot. According to the Jordaan folklore in Amsterdam his son, Cor, apparently sold it for drugs money when his father died, but it turned up again some time later. I've seen it being aired on You Tube once or twice, but cannot remember who the player was.

He actually won the title "Roi de l 'Accordeon" in Paris in 1953, but in later life couldn't even be bothered to speak about it.

Johnny Meijer. Yet another guy who tragically proved that the content of the bottle is often stronger than the constitution of man.

Love it (the recording of la vie en Rose I mean), it really is all coming together, I love the turnarounds/lead-ins, I love the way the extra harmonies are also feeding into the rhythm.

Thanks for inspiring me to try Jitterbug Waltz again! Ive been working with Jean-Yves Sixts technique videos and this tune made a lot more sense to me after practicing some two-finger drills.
I play this with index and middle finger, and think about the arrangement of buttons in the major scale rather than intervals or finger motions. Who knows if that strategy has any relevance beyond this tune and my brain, but it was a Eureka moment for me. :D
Im also cheating by looking at the white buttons. My box has no tactile cues.
My version. Apologies for the unsuccessful improv bit at the end.

Yo you got it Dan...different words same meaning...keep on enjoying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back