• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Jambalaya/Saints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Jambalaya, a great song (American country/cajun, by Hank Williams) not a great perfomance or video but now you know I exist. And I have fun!

looking good!

build up some speed for this one, so the people can dance

Thanks Jozz. Good idea. I played it at "singing speed" but I can see faster for dancing would be good too.

Who-hoo… goooooooo Tom!!!

I like that song, it is one of my regulars (believe it or not), when I am on the 8X with BK arranger, and I make a mashup between it and the Elvis song "Don't be Cruel". that's one I have to record one day too.

Well done Tom, and that accordion of yours has a sweet sound as well. :)

Thanks so much, Jerry! Yeah, I love the Piatanesi sound!

I first heard a Piatanesi over at the accordion museum, Cory Pesaturo was playing/demoing... it was billed as the accordion you get when you go to heaven... as the sound was just that heavenly... and it's 5 digit price tag is well deserved! :) :)

Hmmmm, must have been the super top of the line Piatanesi. Which accordion museum was that? I have a full sized and a 72 bass I bought to be lighter weight (used in this video). I know they are very popular in Brazil. I bought them both direct from Sig. Piatanesi so way less than 5 figures for both. Excellent quick personal service, professional shipping and of course great playability and sound. PM me for more info. . .

It was at the New England Accordion Connection and Museum Company last year.
No more accordions for me at this time, my hands are completely full with the Hohner Morino VI N and the Roland FR-8X. 

... and o[font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]ops.  I just went back to have a quick look at the video I made of that day... it was not a Piate[/font][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]nisi, but a Serenelli that Cory was playing, but Paul did have several [/font][font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]Piatenisi in his collection, hence why the name stuck in my memory.  :)[/font]

Thanks Jerry!

Accordion has nice tone. Keep up the good work. When I started playing this back in the 60s, it was from an old book that had western music for accordions. If I remember it had jambalaya, Heartaches by the number, cold cold heart, you win again...?

Thanks Larry! Hmmmm, I don't know that book. ...glad you like our (Wisconsin) polkas!

Tom, I wish I would have kept some of those books. I had a Beatles Souvenir songbook too with pictures when they were 20 years old...Somehow misplaced years ago.
EBay has lots of those vintage books for sale...

Yeah, I have come across numerous cool old accordion books in my travels, but they are often too aromatic to keep!

Tom,
A very playable version of Jambalaya is featured in one of Palmer Hughes additional material books.
It could be Concert Book 4 or the Cowboy Book.
I play it often, but can't recall where exactly I sourced it, as my working copy is a xerox one (to save wear and tear on the original) :)

Thanks Dingo! As per usual, I've arranged my own version, right or wrong, it "works for me!"

That's the best thing about music... there is NO wrong, and its all good!

Tom, you've inspired me to make a "Jambalaya" video, I'll try to make it during the vacation time I have available to me after Christmas. :)

Can't wait, Jerry, I'm sure it will be awesome!

Only just seen this. I really enjoyed watching your video, Tom. If you do any more, could you position so we can see left hand as well please? As a beginner, anything I can pick up watching others is a real help.

Your accordion has a lovely sound - much nicer than mine. And you could dance to that no problem. A stately Cajun two-step around the room.

Thanks so much Bella! I need to redo my videos so that would be a good excuse.... I pretty much do a pretty basic bass, alternating root note and fifth, using fourth and index fingers on the root notes of C and G on the C chord (third finger on the chord) and fourth and third fingers on the G and D notes on the G7s (index finger on the G7 chord). PM me if you want more info....... Yup, love my Piatanesis!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back