• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Jambalaya in Portugal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's Brazil. The style is forró. One of the comments suggests that back in his day they danced to it as "Jambalaia"; another claims that Jambalaya is of Paraguayan origin.

Great post thanks for sharing. I am not sure it's forrro! Perhaps it is ! Anyway I like these rythms and everything about it the setting/culture etc something like we had in the 50s. Shame about the culture we loose in the name of progress normally economic and cultural.

godgi

I. Thought "forrro" was a more rrappd rrythm pulsating along at speed.
Godgi

Interesting. Thanks.
The Carpenters lyrics for the song kind of suggests 'jambalaya' might be something to eat:-
'Jambalaya, crawfish pie and file gumbo'
Are they just taking liberties with language?

Speed - sure. You can hear a fast subdivided beat behind the melody, more clearly played on cavaquinho (Brazilian steel string relative of the ukulele) in the first seconds before accordion comes in. Accordion picks that beat up intermittently.

The Carpenters!?! I threw it to youtube sort of thinking this would come up, but luckily it didn't and I won't be tempted to see what they've done to it. It's an old Hank Williams (country western) tune, about stereotypical lifestyle in Cajun country.

The present song is different words set to the same tune. I don't if anyone has ever done that before - probably, huh? It's an awfully pedestrian love song, but it isn't like there was much potential in singing about Cajun antics to a roomful of ranchers in central Brazil.

From Wiki:
Jambalaya (/ˌdʒæmbəˈlaɪ.ə/ JAM-bə-LY-ə, /ˌdʒʌm-/ JUM-) is a Creole rice dish of West African, French (especially Provençal cuisine), and Spanish influence, consisting mainly of meat and vegetables mixed with rice. Traditionally, the meat includes sausage of some sort, often a smoked meat such as andouille, along with pork or chicken and seafood (less common), such as crawfish or shrimp. The vegetables are usually a sofrito-like mixture known as the "holy trinity" in Cajun cooking, consisting of onion, celery, and green bell pepper, though other vegetables such as okra, carrots, tomatoes, chilis and garlic are also used. After browning and sauteeing the meat and vegetables, rice is added with seasonings and broth, and the entire dish is cooked together until the rice is done.

My favorite version of "Jambalaya" (the song)

I first heard this song when Jo Stafford covered it in the ‘50s. IIRC the Hank Williams version was used in the sound track of The Last Picture Show.

As for the dish, Jambalaya, I remember having it in New Orleans. It was highly seasoned and I enjoyed it. Crawfish Pie is what it sounds like. Gumbos are stews that traditionally are thickened with either okra, or, as in the song, file, which is sassafras powder.

What this has to do with accordions I can only guess.

I first heard this song when Jo Stafford covered it in the ‘50s. IIRC the Hank Williams version was used in the sound track of The Last Picture Show.

As for the dish, Jambalaya, I remember having it in New Orleans. It was highly seasoned and I enjoyed it. Crawfish Pie is what it sounds like. Gumbos are stews that traditionally are thickened with either okra, or, as in the song, file, which is sassafras powder.

What this has to do with accordions I can only guess.

The bellows! Nothing is better for bellows decoration than a crawfish!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back