• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Instrument for non-musical beginner?

123dwight

Reaction score
Hello,
This is my first post. I am a 65-year-old retiree with no musical background. I want to learn an instrument. Accordion appeals to me and I'm trying to decide if its right for me. The ideal instrument probably doesn't exist but this is what it would look like:

1) Easy enough to learn.
2) Room to grow. I expect to play simple music, but would like something versatile enough to grow with.
3) I like lower pitched instruments. No penny whistle for me!
4) Since I don't know keyboard, a piano layout has no advantage over a button layout.
5) I'm not afraid to spend money for something that I would actually use.
6) I have carpel tunnel syndrome.

So- what instrument would people recommend? Is this a reasonable goal for someone like me? If I get an accordion, what kind should I consider?

Thanks,
Dwight

Accordion meets criteria 2 through 5, but 1 and 6 might be an issue.

For your first point, on a scale of 1-10, I'd put accordion at, oh, about a 7. Not the hardest instrument to learn, but not a walk in the park either. And, while I'm not a doctor, I'd guess that carpal tunnel in the left hand might make working the bass buttons difficult over time. (The right hand might not be a problem if your hand/arm position is correct. Or at least no worse than typing.)

Normally I recommend ukulele as a great beginner instrument to learn. They're fun, not super-expensive, and have low-tension, nylon strings that are easy on the fingers. Only four strings to deal with and tune. You don't need a strap, or an amp, or a pick--just grab it and go. You can enjoy it for years and years with just strumming, but it offers a lot more if you want to dive in deeper. But... I'm not sure how carpal tunnel would fit in, especially with the left hand. Might be worth trying though? (Some libraries around here will even lend you one!)

Another alternative to accordion might be harmonica. (Accordions are essentially just giant, bellows-driven harmonicas anyway!) A good range of high/low notes. Most people find it easy to learn. Small and portable. Not too demanding of the hands, although your lungs better be in good shape! :)

I'm unsure about the carpal tunnel, but bass recorder might suit. It has a nice low tone and you might find a local group to play with. Here in the UK we have the SRP, a national recorder association for all ages, while another organisation the U3A has local groups for older people. I'm a member of both 😎

Edit: I find accordion quite a physical instrument - I play for two hours each Thursday at a dance rehearsal and it is a good workout. But if you want to try one, I started on a second hand "12 bass" accordion. Just a cheap one but it helped me decide accordion was something I wanted to get into and I sold it for what I paid for it.

Last edited:
Welcome Dwight!

I really don’t know anything about carpel tunnel and playing accordion. But how about considering a button box (also called concertina or melodeon)? Smaller and less button pushing than a “regular” accordion, in fact you could get away with hardly using your left hand, except to push and pul.

Anyway, playing an accordion is a great idea for keeping your mind active and sharp. I hope it appeals to you.

Hello,
This is my first post. I am a 65-year-old retiree with no musical background. I want to learn an instrument. Accordion appeals to me and I'm trying to decide if its right for me. The ideal instrument probably doesn't exist but this is what it would look like:

1) Easy enough to learn.
2) Room to grow. I expect to play simple music, but would like something versatile enough to grow with.
4) Since I don't know keyboard, a piano layout has no advantage over a button layout.

So- what instrument would people recommend? Is this a reasonable goal for someone like me? If I get an accordion, what kind should I consider?
Carpal tunnel syndrome pretty much rules out piano accordion because of the hand stretches it tends to call for once you get beyond trivial. I wouldn't say "piano layout has no advantage over a button layout" for someone knowing neither, particularly as it corresponds well to notation and makes simple tunes in simple keys simple to play, but in my book the advantages of CBA would offset this pretty soon. In your situation in particular:

You are 65. You don't grow younger. When you need to revert to smaller and lower-weight instruments, a CBA will keep useful ranges quite longer than a piano accordion. You like lower pitched instruments, and with large instruments, a CBA will typically reach quite lower. "Easy enough to learn" will be mixed bag. Simple tunes in C Major will work faster on a piano accordion than on a CBA.

An accordion has the advantage that you can play full pieces including melody and accompaniment in a comparatively useful and straightforward manner, so it is good for having fun all alone. Other instruments call more for finding an ensemble.

At the beginning, you want an instrument that can be played and enjoyed at moderate volume (as long as you can hear it well yourself) and is not hard to move. That will be smaller in size. There is no point in investing too much money particularly in a new instrument since it will be designed to be eventually outgrown.

I switched the other way a few months ago - from CBA to a large diatonic.
You'll likely have more fun with the diatonic. It plays itself. CBA in my experience requires daily practice to get a tune out of it once you're past the very simple stuff. Skip practice for a few days and half of the repertoire goes down the drain until you clocked back a few hours of practicing scales.

On the other hand, it's a lot easier to learn "proper" technique on a full sized CBA. After that you can adapt it to melodeons, bandoneons.

I found that I severely dislike small instruments, chromatic or diatonic. The damn things run out of air half way through a phrase. Bandoneon being the only exception as it's got a lot of air 'cause the box is pretty much square.

I have carpel tunnel syndrome.
My elderly maternal uncle, who had played a piano accordion for most of his life, developed carpal tunnel syndrome.
As I remember it, he had some relatively minor surgery on the affected wrist and was soon back to playing his accordion.
Of course, cases vary but see here:

Last edited:
Would it be confusing for a person to switch to CBA after starting on diatonic?
Well, yes and no.
Apart from both having buttons, bellows and reeds, they are very different animals.
However, many people have mastered both.
The point is, being able to play one will be of very limited help in playing the other.🙂
A further difficulty is , which of the bewilderingly many varieties of DBA do you go for?🤔🙂

Last edited:
Good luck Dwight. If you choose the accordion route, be sure to get an instrument in good repair. If it is an old instrument that leaks a lot of air, or has bad valves, the reeds will be slow to respond, you will have to pump it a lot, and it will be frustrating to play. Beware the ones for sale on Ebay or other online marketplaces, some are good buys, but many are junk. I didn't know these things when I started out. Consult with someone who knows accordions to make sure you are getting a good instrument. Visiting a reputable accordion store where you can try out many types of accordions would be a good idea.

The type of music you want to play will influence your choice of instrument. Diatonics are good for simple melodies and folk music. Each row of buttons plays in only one key and there are two different notes on each button, selected by the bellows direction. So a diatonic, while simple in many respects, has that extra skill of frequent bellows reversals you will have to master that a chromatic instrument does not require. By comparison, a piano accordion or chromatic button accordion can play any type of music in any of the 12 keys but are more complicated to learn.

Another consideration is whether you need a teacher. Most accordion teachers in the US teach piano accordion. It will be harder to find one who teaches CBA or diatonic. On the other hand, there are plenty of books and online resources for motivated people to teach themselves. There are also some online teachers.

Last edited:
Hello,

1) Easy enough to learn.

Thanks,
Dwight

Welcome to the forum Dwight and potentially, welcome to the wonderful world of accordions.

Dental issues recently forced me to give up playing Bb Clarinet, because I can no longer maintain a seal around the mouthpiece, i.e. the embouchure. The reason that I mention it is that it’s fairly common with clarinet, possibly all wind instruments, for parents to hire an instrument for their children/young students in case they don’t keep it up and if they do, the expensive purchase becomes a better bet, i.e. without knowing whether an accordion can be hired until you are ready to make your decision.

All the best,
Rodney

Thank you to everyone who gave advice. You have been helpful!

My better judgement tells me to run away from accordion and any other kind of keyboard. I'm retired from dentistry because my hands couldn't take it. I literally worked until I couldn't see one more patient without hold instruments in both hands. Surgery failed. I'm OK now, but I have to pamper my hand. Symptoms return after the smallest insult.

Still, I'm tempted to try something inexpensive and see how it goes. Amazon has a three row diatonic for $400. Renting probably wouldn't work- I'm in a small town 500 km from the nearest city large enough to have dealers or instructors.

Chromatic harmonica is probably the next best thing. I can't get excited about whistle and recorders.

I'm going to Texas to see the solar eclipse. I hope to order an instrument that will arrive when I get home next month...

Dwight

My better judgement tells me to run away from accordion and any other kind of keyboard. I'm retired from dentistry because my hands couldn't take it. I literally worked until I couldn't see one more patient without hold instruments in both hands. Surgery failed. I'm OK now, but I have to pamper my hand. Symptoms return after the smallest insult.
That doesn't sound like it leaves a lot of instruments. Theremin and harmonica I can think of that don't involve much hand action. Not sure about percussive instruments: you need at least to be able to hold sticks or mallets.

Hello Dwight. If you can find a music teacher who plays multiple instruments, you might meet with them, discuss your expectations and limitations, and see what they might recommend. They may let you try several, perhaps even pay for a few lessons. (Many teachers play more than one instrument - I know one who plays cello, piano, brass, guitar, saxophone, and maybe more. Another I think plays brass, piano, guitar, accordion, and harmonica.)

You might also get advice from a music director at a church or school. For example, in HS the band director gave me lessons on the french horn since he needed one in the band! Also, some music stores have knowledgeable people, some music fanatics, and some experienced in multiple instruments.

Or maybe even a person who is not an instructor but has/plays several may introduce you to several options - for example between myself and a few friends I have access to and have played (or at least played at!) more than fifteen instruments, some similar but still different. However I would hesitate to recommend one to anyone without meeting and discussing some things.

For example, do you someday want to play solo, with a friend or two or group, in public or for your own enjoyment, sing while playing, play one note at a time or chords/harmony) etc.? Does any particular kind of music appeal to you (folk, classical, country, rock, for example, fast, slow, quiet, loud, for relaxing, for someone to dance to, everything)?

One instrument which is physically easy to play (needs little strength but some dexterity helps for more advanced music), extremely versatile, can be quite inexpensive: a simple electronic keyboard - can play tunes with as little as one finger or full-handed chords and arpeggios, can switch between a huge variety of sounds, and might even add rhythm or accompaniment. I wouldn't let the lack of keyboard experience exclude an instrument - everyone has to start somewhere. There is a piano teacher near here whose specialty is teaching adult beginners, one I know started at close to 80, and unlike some teachers I’ve known, seems quite flexible in styles.

I’m sure you know this but keep in mind that any instrument you choose will require a significant investment in time, both in daily practice and in calendar time - expecting some years of serious effort is not unreasonable.

Another thing, if you choose an instrument, consider renting instead of buying, at least for a while! This might be a lot cheaper in the long run)

Regardless, I applaud your goal and wish you the best! I think making music of any kind is good for the mind and the soul! (might not be as good for family “harmony” depending on the instrument and the soundproofing of your practice area. 😆)

JKJ

Still, I'm tempted to try something inexpensive and see how it goes. Amazon has a three row diatonic for $400. Renting probably wouldn't work- I'm in a small town 500 km from the nearest city large enough to have dealers or instructors.

Chromatic harmonica is probably the next best thing. I can't get excited about whistle and recorders.

I'm going to Texas to see the solar eclipse. I hope to order an instrument that will arrive when I get home next month...

Dwight

Whatever decision you make Dwight, here’s hoping you are happy it. All the best!

Does anyone have an opinion of the Hohner XS?
This is where the rubber hits the road!🙂
Buying a musical instrument (especially an accordion ) is as much mental hassle as buying a car, whether new or used.
Even a brand new accordion, like a new car, is likely to have bugs that need resolving. This applies to makes across the board: from top to bottom!
Buying used, like buying a used car, is also fraught with risks.
Overall, if you can find a teacher or someone who already plays, ask them to help you select your first instrument.
If at all possible, spend time vetting things in music shops or following up local advertisements: broadening your experience, not necessarily buying.
Here's a Hohner XS being demonstrated:
For the money (or a little more), personally I believe you can do a lot better in Liberty Bellows "certified" used section.
They will ship.
See here:
Some lower prices here:
Don't be afraid to ask questions !🙂

Last edited:

Dwight,

Have you tried a hand/wrist massage device?

I have a hand problems due to 30 years of overuse at the computer keyboard plus years of craft work with fine detail. No carpel tunnel but some ulner nerve issues. Sometimes I get numbness and sometimes worse - finger and hand cramps that make me put down the tools and stretch and flex for a while. (I’m almost 74)

What has helped me is this hand massager:

I bought one then gave it to a young friend who is having hand pain from her job as a welder (she uses it almost every day). So I bought another and use it for maybe 15 minutes every day or so. It has a variety of hand and wrist massage and heat modes. It might be worth a try. At minimum, it feels good. Also it got a thumb’s-up from my PT (who I’m seeing for post shoulder surgery treatment)

BTW, I’m an accordion beginner but play piano, guitar and some other instruments every day.

JKJ

Dwight,

Just thinking around the edges of the box... Trombone? No awkward, delicate finger movements required, but plenty of wrist movement. Bass trombone goes low enough...

I bought a melodica. It's free-reed keyboard instrument powered by blowing air through a hose. Mine has 37 keys.

There are three ways this could go:
1) I might like it. The problem is solved.
2) I might lose interest. I didn't spend a lot of money.
3) If I make progress on the melodica I could decide to get an accordion with lots of bass keys.

I forgot to mention that I spend a lot of time in a camper-van. Melodica or a small accordion would be small enough to travel with and mellow enough not to be annoy other campers.

Thanks again to everyone who gave advice. You may hear from me again soon. I really do look forward to getting those bass keys...

Dwight

Last edited:
Back