• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Importance of consistent accordion positioning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soulsaver

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm intrigued how your mind/hand/eye coordination finds its way round the keyboard. Do you think its important for the keys to be in near exactly the same place each time you play? So for example should you be aiming to use the same accordion with exactly the same strap adjustment in exactly the same seating/standing position EVERY time you play?

Good question... I regularly play two completely different accordions - the 120 bass/37 key Pigini, which I play sitting down, and the Hohner Student 48 bass/24 key, standing up. No chance of having the hand-keyboard positions identical, but also no problem. I think I navigate relatively to the keys, i.e. once I've got into starting position it doesn't matter.

Hmm ...I think though that there is also a relevance to the fact that they are your instruments ........I swap around regularly between my own different instruments.

Daft as it sounds I know but if I pick up someone elses instrument, whatever it be , I am nonplussed and fumble fingered (I know...more so than usual) until it "feels" right.....and some instruments never do .........and last night at the jazz group I attend I eschewed the 6 string in favour of the keyboard/piano....they have a very nice weighted/balanced key casio privia.....I sat behind it and it was though I had never played the piano before.....as to Soulsavers question ...I don't know ...I play standing, sitting, slouching and my favourite is almost prone in my swivel and tilt desk chair (not a pretty look)...........perhaps if you sit too rigidly and concentrate too much on your poise and posture it may take away some of your playing concentration...............interesting question though.....................

I think its probably a affair point about being able to swap amongst ones own boxes without a problem but not feeling quite right with others. I think this is mostly down to strap adjustment which irrespective of size of box takes the shape of the owner into account! On my own boxes from small melodeon to 120 bass the top of the box is roughly in the same place and the vertical line of the keyboard is the same so right arm position and to a lesser degree elbow bend is at least similer.

george

I think Anyanka as a good explanation. It all goes via the relative position. So once you have started and played around a bit it goes ok. The real problem is probably the large bass jumps. Here, the way the accordion is strapped on really makes a difference for me.

I don't find positioning as much of a problem.
I am constantly adjusting the straps in an attempt to get comfortable and, as long as the accordion is one of mine, I make the same mistakes wherever it sits.
However I am constantly thrown off by trying a new/different accordion as well as if the keyboard is smaller than 19".

I tried a beautiful wood Piermaria accordion the other day and could not play anything on it, when I went to figure out why I found out that the keyboard was 18". It is amazing to me what a difference 1 inch over 41 keys makes for me.
Ben

Attachments

• SCAN0011.jpg
    SCAN0011.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 30
  • SCAN0012.jpg
    SCAN0012.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 28
I theorise it's like golf or snooker in that the top players try to mimise variation in the stance, swing, action etc. And I guess that top accordion players may try for the same sort of accuracy that may depend on removing the variability in the instruments position.
Clearly that wont work with folk, or at a wedding etc. But in competition or classical setting...?
Do I? - nahhh I'm all over the place, always adjusting straps and position trying to find the ideal...? But I may because it seems logical:)

jarvo said:
and my favourite is almost prone in my swivel and tilt desk chair ............
I use that one... I usually have a glass in my hand...:)

jarvo said:
........perhaps if you sit too rigidly and concentrate too much on your poise and posture it may take away some of your playing concentration...............interesting question though.....................
Thanks. I also theorise that if you build a natural but consistent position into your playing that, like in the sports analogy, it wont affect your dynamics, in fact will allow your concentartion on dynamics, not having to handle the other variables. :ugeek:

fjsys said:
I dont find positioning as much of a problem.
I am constantly adjusting the straps in an attempt to get comfortable and, as long as the accordion is one of mine, I make the same mistakes wherever it sits.
However I am constantly thrown off by trying a new/different accordion as well as if the keyboard is smaller than 19.

I tried a beautiful wood Piermaria accordion the other day and could not play anything on it, when I went to figure out why I found out that the keyboard was 18. It is amazing to me what a difference 1 inch over 41 keys makes for me.
Ben

True! My harmonium has very slim keys, and I consistently reach too far when playing without looking at the keyboard.

Playing other peoples (unfamiliar) accordions is fine in the right hand. Partly because I always ask to try everybody elses instrument! What throws me are variations in the bass layout, especially on small accordions. A Morris friend has a tiny Gabbaldini with no E button - all the more confusing as Ive had my 48 bass layout shifted to run from Bb to B. Lack of counter bass is also very confusing. Weve currently got custody of an ancient Italian accordion with only three rows of bass buttons - fundamental, major and minor - which led to a lot of accidental silence when I tried it out.

Yep, missing keys can throw you out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back