• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks
  • We're having a little contest, running until 15th May. Please feel free to enter - see the thread in the "I Did That" section of the forum. Don't be shy, have a go!

Ideas for Accordion Display

John G

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have 3 accordions which together with all the other various instruments I own take up a lot of space. I was curious if anyone had any space efficient and visually appealing examples of displaying accordions in a room. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

-John

Accordions are attractive instruments with a lot of visual appeal, at least to my eye. I've thought about displaying one on the upright piano here, but the reality of the inevitability of household dust filtering into the works keeps the spare accordions snug in their cases in a large closet with a blanket over them.

Accordions are attractive instruments with a lot of visual appeal, at least to my eye. I've thought about displaying one on the upright piano here, but the reality of the inevitability of household dust filtering into the works keeps the spare accordions snug in their cases in a large closet with a blanket over them.
Dust is a valid concern.

Besides dust there is another reason why putting accordions on display is a bad idea: orientation. To best preserve an accordion, and especially the valves, it needs to be stored in the playing orientation. Virtually all accordions I have seen on display were placed on their feet, which is not good for the valves, and particularly bad for accordions with a cassotto and/or a "Winkelbaß" (sometimes wrongly called bass cassotto).
So it is best to leave accordions in their protective bag or case, and placed such that the accordion inside is in the playing orientation.

Virtually all accordions I have seen on display were placed on their feet, which is not good for the valves, and particularly bad for accordions with a cassotto and/or a "Winkelbaß" (sometimes wrongly called bass cassotto).
So it is best to leave accordions in their protective bag or case, and placed such that the accordion inside is in the playing orientation.
Never considered what seems logical - so much still to learn from you.

Last edited:
I now have had 3 professional repair people agree with Paul in that accordions last longer if stored in playing condition (more so units with Cassotto), but each one of these people also all say that they store the accordion in the manner it was designed to be stored as... in the sitting position on the legs. They all say that you may add a few years of extra life on the valves but eventually no matter what position you store them in, valves will need to be replaced anyway.

I first tried to set them up stored in "playing position":
1698232259560.png

... but it took special considerations to not scratch them AND in some cases like with my extended keyboards, this forced them in to very odd and precarious angles and also made it more difficult remove to play and easier to scratch and drop.

I now store them in "seated position" as intended from the factory:

1698232459887.png

When not in use they each get a plastic cover that my mother hand makes for each accordion.

I also dust everything off once every month or two or after playing, to keep things dust free.

Picking them up is easier and they are stored in a more stable and safer way. And about valve replacement? The few extra years shorter life before needing replacement is a small price to pay for the other benefits. :)

This way I can display all my accordions and keep them clean and safe, but still have easy access to all of them.

Last edited:
WOW, this is an impressive collection and that even misses your latest addition - the QUEEN 🤭

I was about to make a new cabinet to store my 3 accordions (in addition to music doing woodwork is another hobby) and I'm seriously considering to gob back to the drawing board and slightly change the design to store them in playing instead of "display"-position. Maybe it's already considering my accordions history to do the obviously correct thing to extend valves, and storing them in upright position won't make a difference. And of course some instruments are sitting long time in dealers shelves before a customer is picking them up and most likely continue to store them in the less favourable position. Nevertheless if one has the option and stores her/his instrument in a case or gig bag why not consider what's logic in first place: simply law of gravity :)

WOW, this is an impressive collection and that even misses your latest addition - the QUEEN 🤭
A simple minor re-arrangement of placing the 3 smallest accordions together on the top right side frees up that prime spot for the Gola... lol

I was thinking of having a custom wooden cabinet with glass doors made, but good Lord the prices have gone up so much since covid (I was quoted $1500 each, if I had 2 made). This just seemed logical and easier for me. and the shelves were much more affordable.

They're available at Costco for $125 each and are rated for a half ton capacity. Just right for my porky Morino... lol

Random thought and this seems like a logical place to put it rather than start a thread.

I find I practice/play much less when I store my accordions in their case/gig bag as opposed to when they are out and on their shelf and I can simply grab them.

Like most I simply store them on their feet out in the open on sturdy/wide floating shelves around chest level. Will this cause damage? My home is not particularly dusty and I can't recall having to clean or dust them? (Maybe I play them frequently enough it hasn't accumulated)

Thoughts? It is silly but if I can't just grab & play I play much less...

Jerry’s got it going on, you can’t go wrong with a nice shelf unit. Mine are laying around the house in various spots, I’m not nearly so organized. On the desk, on the floor of the studio near the desk, in the closet, in cases in the (heated) garage, on top of the Murphy beds. The ones I play stay out and are covered in those tea towels you get for 2 euros from the “good price” guys on the streets of Italy. I do recommend getting 3 or 4 back straps so you can switch between them easily. Christmas is coming!

so you just pick out a couple likely guitar amp stands..
you make a little lightly cushioned pad for across the lower span and screw/glue it on
you make another smaller little pad to cushion and brace the back span

i have 3 of these, they are commonly found and are usually collapsible..
i take one on gigs usually and two are always in the studio holding
the accordions i am most frequently working with

way easier to grab your box when it is sitting upright off the floor at a slight angle
with the straps up and easy to hook your arm through to lift

been using mine for decades.. they pretty much last forever once you customize
it to hold accordions and they are sure footed

so you just pick out a couple likely guitar amp stands..
you make a little lightly cushioned pad for across the lower span and screw/glue it on
you make another smaller little pad to cushion and brace the back span

i have 3 of these, they are commonly found and are usually collapsible..
i take one on gigs usually and two are always in the studio holding
the accordions i am most frequently working with

way easier to grab your box when it is sitting upright off the floor at a slight angle
with the straps up and easy to hook your arm through to lift

been using mine for decades.. they pretty much last forever once you customize
it to hold accordions and they are sure footed

I love this idea!

Attachments

• F55E4D55-3527-4E72-9252-C06B6AB197DF.jpeg
    F55E4D55-3527-4E72-9252-C06B6AB197DF.jpeg
    434 KB · Views: 13
nice !

but after the addition of the pads i mentioned,
that lets me set the accordion on them in "playing position"

plus some of these stands are adjustable width, which narrower,
is more conducive/stable for the upright position

Mine isn't adjustable, but a length of the foam lagging for heating pipes would fit on the arms to put it in playing position.

I am a novice and do not have a large collection of accordions but I thought I’d share (riffing off Ventura’s comment above about guitar amp stands) that I use an accordion stand and a dust cover for my bayan. Its very accessible for daily practice but still protected from dust when not in use. I purchased both the stand and dust cover from Liberty Bellows in Philadelphia, PA USA.

1701929216754.jpeg

Back